• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage 3-ways for around $250

Acoustic research 2ax's, 48S/B 91,92

if you open yourself up to 2-ways, AR 7, 18/18S/18b/rock partners are small dragon killers in terms of performance. the 93/94 are a 2.5way with essentially the same woof/tweet combo, but with 1 or 2 additional 8"ers for bass reinforcement

the TSW and holographic imaging series are pretty good, too

KLH 5's for 3 ways, 6,17.23 for two-ways

smaller advents are pretty nice sounding, deep digging speakers with a small footprint.
dynaco A25's are a classic, nice sounding vintage speak with a small footprint, but are 2-ways like the smaller advents

non-vintage, I love my AR312HO's, they're kinda big, though. my first "hi fi" purchase was a set of polk S6's in college, also great little speakers.

there's a set of restored 48B's on the san fran craigslist for $125, dynaco A25's for $325, some Rock Partners for $90, a complete A/V set of 312HO mains, 308HO rears, CS25HO center, pioneer receiver and S12HO sub for $500 (that is an absolute steal....you could buy this, keep the 308, and sub, sell the receiver, center, and mains for probably $500-600)
 
Last edited:
Thanks guys. Keep em coming!

Without this website that I just found, I would be taking a stab in the dark......

I am hoping to find something on craigslist in the San Francisco Bay Area.

If anyone is bored and finds something there please send the link! :D

The only problem is that we're not supposed to put ebay, craigslist, etc ad links in this forum.

Try posting a wanted/suggestions type ad in Dollars and Sense, links are ok there.
 
You really need to go listen to some of the suggested speakers. Klipsch uses horns and some folks don't like that sound, some love it. What sounds nice to some people may not sound so good to you. Some like the "East coast" sound (AR, KLH,Advent) some like the "West coast" sound (JBL,etc.). And it goes on and on. Lots of nice vintage stuff in your price range. You can drive yourself nuts so be careful.:D
 
:smoke:
You really need to go listen to some of the suggested speakers. Klipsch uses horns and some folks don't like that sound, some love it. What sounds nice to some people may not sound so good to you. Some like the "East coast" sound (AR, KLH,Advent) some like the "West coast" sound (JBL,etc.). And it goes on and on. Lots of nice vintage stuff in your price range. You can drive yourself nuts so be careful.:D

Thanks. I will have to do that for certain!

I listen to loud rock and roll if that helps. Beatles to Metallica.:smoke:

So should I show up at some guys house with my receiver and some CD's? Stupid question but is a different receiver going to make a huge difference in the sound?
 
Last edited:
There are SO many good speakers in that price range, many Boston A series, a ton of JBL's, many DCM's (Time Windows, Time Frames and several CX series), quite a number of Polks, a number of Infinity models (many good, many aren't, like most brands, so be sure to ask first) etc.

Cerwin Vega's would be on my personal list to avoid...and I've have a pair of VS-120's and have owned some RE25's. I'd not look at anything on your list to be honest.


Thanks for the good info everyone!
 
Here in the midwest I see ADS L810s for 250-275. Great speakers. I also reccomend Advents on the cheaper side and anything MB Quart.
 
Acoustic research 2ax's, 48S/B 91,92

if you open yourself up to 2-ways, AR 7, 18/18S/18b/rock partners are small dragon killers in terms of performance. the 93/94 are a 2.5way with essentially the same woof/tweet combo, but with 1 or 2 additional 8"ers for bass reinforcement

the TSW and holographic imaging series are pretty good, too

KLH 5's for 3 ways, 6,17.23 for two-ways

smaller advents are pretty nice sounding, deep digging speakers with a small footprint.
dynaco A25's are a classic, nice sounding vintage speak with a small footprint, but are 2-ways like the smaller advents

non-vintage, I love my AR312HO's, they're kinda big, though. my first "hi fi" purchase was a set of polk S6's in college, also great little speakers.

there's a set of restored 48B's on the san fran craigslist for $125, dynaco A25's for $325, some Rock Partners for $90, a complete A/V set of 312HO mains, 308HO rears, CS25HO center, pioneer receiver and S12HO sub for $500 (that is an absolute steal....you could buy this, keep the 308, and sub, sell the receiver, center, and mains for probably $500-600)

Thanks man. I am liking the price and condition of those AR 48B's. I think those will be my first thing to check out.
 
Last edited:
I saw a set of JBL XPL 140's on San Francisco's craigslist for $300.

That's a great speaker at a good price. If they were here in AZ, I'd already have them at home.:yes:

I'd think you'd want a pretty decent amp to drive them though.
 
Rather than trying to drag your amp and CD's around you are probably going to just have to take a stab at a pair of speakers that seems like it might be a good deal and are well made. Rather than expect to find a great pair of speakers on the first go around, I would just plan on doing what most all the other people do here, and thats constantly evolving always on the quest for the right one! A lot of people buy a pair and live with a while and then as they learn more and are exposed to more choices they flip them by selling them to other members or the public and move what one hopes is in an upward direction. Sometimes you get a pair that you think will be better, and its not, so you gotta move it on, It doesn't take to many pairs and then you find the type of speakers and the brands that really shine. Asking people here is great as at least they can warn you about any real junk, but speakers are like women, just because one person can live a life time with her doesn't mean someone else can.
 
Last edited:
Rather than trying to drag your amp and CD's around you are probably going to just have to take a stab at a pair of speakers that seems like it might be a good deal and are well made. Rather than expect to find a great pair of speakers on the first go around, I would just plan on doing what most all the other people do here, and thats constantly evolving always on the quest for the right one! A lot of people buy a pair and live with a while and then as they learn more and are exposed to more choices they flip them by selling them to other members or the public and move what one hopes is in an upward direction. Sometimes you get a pair that you think will be better, and its not, so you gotta move it on, It doesn't take to many pairs and then you find the type of speakers and the brands that really shine. Asking people here is great as at least they can warn you about any real junk, but speakers are like women, just because one person can live a life time with her doesn't mean someone else can.


+++1 :thmbsp:

Ken nailed it. You need to get the speakers in YOUR room with YOUR gear and have more than the few minutes an audition in someone's home will afford you to decide if they are for you or not. Just prepare yourself with research and don't overpay for anything so you don't take a bath when you decide to sell. And I'll bet you'll have a TON of fun hunting down and experiencing all the different designs....just like most of us here have. I'd think in your neck of the woods there would be a pretty good selection in the used market. Think of it like being able to freely sample women but without all the baggage.

Lots of good suggestions being tossed your way but my personal experience makes me lean toward DCM TimeFrame series, ADS, and Paradigm (front ported models). I also think you should not limit yourself to 3-way designs.

-Michael
 
+1 on the AR2ax suggestion. Mine sound great even with 45 - 50 wpc driving them. I have them in a 3-car garage and can get things going pretty good in there. You can find a working pair for under $200 and refoam the woofs for $20. From there, you can decide if you'd like to recap them. The x-overs have the old waxed cardborad caps in there. Very easy to upgrade them for very little $. Those 10" AR drivers test out to 28 or so Hz outside of the enclosure. You'll dig the bass. AT half (or less) the cost of the AR3, you will get 95% of the sound.
 
I am hoping to find something on craigslist in the San Francisco Bay Area.

If anyone is bored and finds something there please send the link! :D

Santa Cruz close enough? Check out the ADS L810s on SFBay Craigslist. (Links to items for sale are sort of against the rules here.)

John
 
Last edited:
Also, the Dynaco A25s in Walnut Creek are a good deal. The guy offering them is a friend. He does very good work (almost as good as me:))

John
 
The search for speakers is starting to drive me crazy. I don't know what to get. :scratch2:

There is a pair a DCM Time Frames for only $60 in Fremont. Those things are rather big and fugly but it sounds like an awesome deal. They look hella clean in the picture.... I spent that amount last weekend at the sushi bar.

What do you think?
 
The search for speakers is starting to drive me crazy. I don't know what to get. :scratch2:

There is a pair a DCM Time Frames for only $60 in Fremont. Those things are rather big and fugly but it sounds like an awesome deal. They look hella clean in the picture.... I spent that amount last weekend at the sushi bar.

What do you think?

I never found Time Frames ugly myself. They are tall, fairly wide, but nice and thin.

What model are they, as there are numerous Time Frame models, although just about any would be great for $60.
 
I never found Time Frames ugly myself. They are tall, fairly wide, but nice and thin.

What model are they, as there are numerous Time Frame models, although just about any would be great for $60.


TF 350.

Ad says, moving must sell.

Take a peek on CL SF if you get a chance...... I better call before they get snatched.
 
Last edited:
TF 350.

Ad says, moving must sell.

The TF350 is not the best model in the Time Frame line up, but it's still a DCM Time Frame, so it should sound very good. The price is cheap enough to get your introduction into DCM speakers. You find yourself later seeking out other DCM's in the future.:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom