• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage garage speakers

'87 Turbo T

New Member
Good evening all.

New to the site & looking to set-up a system in my garage. Nothing too extravagant just a decent set-up. About a 400 square foot garage.

Going with a Kenwood KA-6100 amp & Sony CD player.

What are some good vintage speaker recommendations?

I've been looking at the CV D series(4, 7, 9), Kilpsh, & Pioneer HPM 60's. I'm open to any other options though.

Thanks,

Kyle
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome to AK. That's a nice amp. If you want it loud the CV's would do the trick same with the Kilpsh,they're both very efficient not taking a lot of power to get them crankin.HPM's are nice too but won't sound as loud but a bit more detailed.
 
When it comes to speakers an a garage, it kind of depends on the garage for me. I wouldn't dare put a pair of nice speakers in my garage unless they were cosmetically challenged. I'm really rough cabinets. I do some wood working, working on my Jeep, etc. in my garage. I just put a pair of 80's Technics 3ways with 12" 2oofers from an old rack system in my garage. They sound ok, and I don't have to worry about what happens to them. My sons garage is just the opposite, clean and more of a hangout kind of space. He can and does have s9me decent speakers and equipment in his.
 
Thanks!

This is my dilemma as well. Don’t want anything fancy or super expensive. It’s an unfinished garage where I spend time & work on my cars.

Just want a decent quality, not super crazy priced set of speakers. Not real familiar with stereo equipment…..yet.
 
Besides the CV's Infinity SM series play loud and are usually not priced in the stratosphere.
Just speaking in general, depending on your area (prices vary by area and we have no clue where you are, don't need your street address but a general location might be helpful if you'll be sticking around) I'd think $200-$400 might get you what you want. Or a bit more depending on what is available and if you want them.
Questions of value should be asked in Dollars and Sense area.
For example " a fellow 30 miles away is offering a pair of CV-7's for $300, is that a good deal?" is a Dollars and Sense question.
 
I use the same amp, a cheap Sony cd play, and a Vector Research EQ. Speakers, I have a pair of Frazier F12-4H speakers suspended from the rear wall. The speakers can sound really good, and rattle the neighborhood if need be. Can be had for a Benny Frank, (pair), if you know a guy that knows a guy.
 
I found a pair of AR4xa speakers for cheap and used them in a 1200sf pole barn for quite a few years. They were more than adequate, and actually sounded pretty good. For what I paid I considered them expendable, but they survived, and have since been cleaned up and used indoors.

The rest of the system was old school as well - a Sansui Stereo 8 receiver with an Empire 8 track. The Sansui is also moved indoors and is still operating, but alas, the 8 track didn't survive.
 
Last edited:
I have nice spkrs in my unfinished 3car garage. AR2ax that were restored. Polk Monitor 7s also spend some time in there. Only have about 50wpc but it gets plenty loud.
 
How far are you from Aurora? There's a set of very clean CV AT-12's on FB marketplace that are a screaming deal.
 
Not very. Half hour or so. Saw them. Didn’t know if the AT’s are any good or if it was a scam.

AT and D series are good. I'd avoid VS series.

Also a sweet looking set of Paradigm 9se mkII's in Broomfield on Marketplace. That's a damn nice set of speakers for a very, very good price.
 
I have nice spkrs in my unfinished 3car garage. AR2ax that were restored. Polk Monitor 7s also spend some time in there. Only have about 50wpc but it gets plenty loud.
You can find Polk 7's that are cosmetically challanged that won't break the bank.
They sound really good too.
 
Go big or go home. Get a pair of JBL 4435s and show the neighborhood who is boss.

Seriously, budget yourself $100 and watch craigslist or Estate Sales and see what kind of bookshelf speakers you can acquire.
 
Back
Top Bottom