• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Vintage prices

There are a lot of nice integrated amps and receivers out here, as others have mentioned.

Check out Sony ES, Denon, Luxman and B&K. I would look at local sales, as other comments have pointed out. I want to see and test the thing before I buy it.

Good luck.
 
Great guidance! My goal is a great vinyl platform verse vintage per se so I agree that should focus my search. I’m looking for sound over visual aesthetics. I agree with the comment that radio is dying. Even in my car I rarely listen to it, opting instead for my iTunes library or CDs. I’m in Atlanta to answer that question and radio here sadly is sterile. The rotation of songs just never changes. So, this is good, y’all are helping me focus!

I’ll start searching the forums for amps with a good phono stage. My budget for the amp is up to $300. I don’t need a ton of power as my listening room is 12’x20’. I’ll start looking at speakers too and probably budget up to $500.

Thanks again for the great comments!
 
There's an Onkyo A7 integrated on BT for sale (last I checked), excellent amp with a very quiet noise floor and decent power, also looks great, ... I'd consider that (had one, loved it).
 
Where are you located? There's an ad in Bartertown for a Kenwood KA 5500 in Minnesota that's under your budget.

There's also the chicken and egg situation: is it better to buy an amp to match speakers or speakers to match an amp? Or does it matter as long as the power and sonic synergy is there?

On topic, yes the price of vintage gear has been increasing the past several years. Some brands/pieces have increased more than others. There are deals to be had if you are patient. One potential downside of vintage is reliability. My Sansui 9090db has appreciated considerably since I purchased it on BT a few years ago - and it went silent this week.
 
Ok so great information on the economics and I certainly get that the attention to the vintage market has driven prices up. Wow and how they have. My interest in those specific brands was due to familiarity in their heyday and personal experience.

In the 70s Marantz was always the OMG brand. As a teenager they were beyond my fiscal means so they were always an unattainable dream. Visually they were elegantly beautiful, and the ones I would listen to at the local hifi shop sounded fantastic.

Pioneer was my first real system. In 1981 I went to college. I sold an Opel GT I rebuilt and used the proceeds, much to my father’s dismay, to buy a complete stereo system from a service man returning from Germany. The TT was a Dual 606 which I still have and the amp was an SX1280. Yea that one!! There was a TEAC cassette and Kenwood speakers in the deal and I think I paid $600 for the whole thing. I still shake my head at that! And at 18 I really had no idea what I had other than a system that rocked!! Fast forward to 1991 and, in a move, the 1280 was stolen. I think after my deductible I got a couple hundred for it. They just didn’t have value. CDs were a big deal and vinyl was on the way out. Surround systems were all the rage. So I picked up an Onkyo 5.1 system and moved on.

Fast forward again and I recently was going through my vinyl collection. Some gems in there! I would love to listen to that original analog sound I remember I loved. I looked up prices for the 1280 and almost fell over!!! I couldn’t believe what they go for now. I can’t drop 2k on an amp these days so I’ve been looking at the other models. Been researching and that’s what got me here.

So, now I have a better sense of current market values thanks to this thread. Maybe I’m trying to relive the teen in the store memory with what I’ve been looking at. But, I’m certainly open to counsel, advice, banter and good ol fashioned cajoling to find a system, vintage or new, I’ll enjoy. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks for all the comments!

Buy what you want. If Pioneer or Marantz is your lust, buy it. Pay what it takes to get it. It is simply your demand and the supply that determines the price... who cares? It’s still much cheaper than that $600 you spent in 1981, probably close to $2000 in today’s money. Buy what you like, if you don’t like the price, don’t buy it. Economics is easy.
 
Great guidance! My goal is a great vinyl platform verse vintage per se so I agree that should focus my search. I’m looking for sound over visual aesthetics. I agree with the comment that radio is dying. Even in my car I rarely listen to it, opting instead for my iTunes library or CDs. I’m in Atlanta to answer that question and radio here sadly is sterile. The rotation of songs just never changes. So, this is good, y’all are helping me focus!

I’ll start searching the forums for amps with a good phono stage. My budget for the amp is up to $300. I don’t need a ton of power as my listening room is 12’x20’. I’ll start looking at speakers too and probably budget up to $500.

Thanks again for the great comments!

What?! You don't adore 97.1?? :rflmao:

You'd think in a city of over 6.7 million people we could get a couple of nice radio stations? Or decent stereo? It's like we're living in the middle of the desert. Nothing but 90s BPC everywhere. Best Buy has ruined this town foe nice audio.
 
Right? Atlanta radio is just stale, but honestly it’s all over. I’m riding back from Daytona Beach typing this after a weekend of deep sea fishing with the guys. I’ve heard about 6 different stations on the way. I’ve heard Dead or Alive, Sweet Child of Mine and Gimme 3 Steps 6 times! I miss real deep cut FM radio.

Back on forum thread topic. There is a local ad for an SX650 for $125. It’s been up a bit so probably room to negotiate. Obviously will listen first. Also saw KA5500 for $200 which would have a bit more power at 55 watts verse 650’s 35. Different vibe from each.

Speaker match will be important which I agree w previous comment it’s tough to decide which to get first. I had Kenwood 5 ways back in the day that were honestly too much. They were like an old Marshall Plexi, amazing cranked but not very subtle especially at normal listening levels. I had Advents I loved as they had a great warm balanced sound and tone. But vintage speakers worry me more than amps.

Any comments on speaker selections to match w a 30 to 50 watt amp for vinyl? Vintage or new?
 
It's not that vintage prices have gone up but that the purchasing power of a dollar has diminished as trillions of dollars have been "printed out of thin air" since 2009 thus grossly devaluing the dollar in real terms.
fetchimage
 
Any comments on speaker selections to match w a 30 to 50 watt amp for vinyl? Vintage or new?
Any of the smaller (not that they're that small) ADS speakers. L420, L470, L520, L570, L610.

They're not all that efficient compared to ported designs so you won't be able to rattle the windows. However, if you like good, clean, sweet, detailed with good bass, sound (that should play reasonably loud with 50 watts), keep an eye out for them.

Edit: Most ADS speakers have rubber surrounds. I have 2 pair-L620 & L710. Haven't done a thing to them. Don't need to.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom