• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Vintage Recievers

Hey Bogdez, it's your money...get whatever you want man. I like both all in one's and separates..each has it's place and I got both. Asking the opinion of others is all good and fine..you can get other ideals and options and such. But in the long run, it still all comes down to what drives YOU! It doesn't matter if what you get sounds like crap to everybody else on the planet, as long as you are totally satisfied with it.
 
Don't get hung up on watt per channel.

If spending the funds on a working "restored " "serviced" unit. Check the references and or feedback's ahead of purchases.

There is also joining, paying subscription and going to Bartertown here on AK for the unit.

As to the model, get the best looking of any you choose. Realizing it may well be the starting of, not the ending of your purchases.
 
Well, if I had to pick among those listed, at those prices, I would probably go with the Project One, because it is about half as expensive. If they were all the same price, I would want the Pioneer SX-1250 (I have one and really like it). But, like several other people have already said, I would go with separates at the prices you are looking at. The Pioneer SX-1250 is a great receiver, but we are talking about a piece of gear that is over 40 years old, and also one should consider what else one could buy for that price.

Honestly, I am somewhat tempted to sell my SX-1250, given the crazy prices they are going for these days. But I am very used to it (I have owned it since the early 1980's; I paid $325 for mine in near mint condition with box and manual, which I still have and the receiver is still in near mint condition). Also, it is a bother to sell things, so that also makes me disinclined to sell it. But there is no way I would pay $2900 for one.

It is a very attractive unit, it performs well in all its parts (tuner, preamp, power amp), and the controls are logically arranged. I can see why people want one. But, again, what else could one buy for the same amount or less? You could easily get more power (though most people don't need more power), or a better tuner, or....
 
Went decades thinking vintage was the way to go, but that's when I could fix em. Now ... not so much. I'm slowly sliding into the plug 'n play dark side ...
 
Went decades thinking vintage was the way to go, but that's when I could fix em. Now ... not so much. I'm slowly sliding into the plug 'n play dark side ...

Vintage used to be much cheaper. And when it was, then it was a good way to go, as one could typically get better sound for a given amount of money. (If you could still get a Pioneer SX-1250 for the $325 I paid for mine in the early 1980's, it would be a great value.)

Now, the best value is in gear that is used, but not old enough to be "vintage." To be the best value, it has to be something that most people don't want, because a bunch of people wanting something drives up the price. Supply and demand matters a great deal on what is a good value and what isn't.
 
I love vintage stuff....and you can see by my sig I don't go for the high $$ equipment. If it were me....just my opinion...and was going to spend in excess of $2K...I would go with something new. There are some very nice pieces of equipment out there for that price range.
 
I used to draw the line at anything new enough to use SMDs - digging into something like that on the kitchen table is asking for trouble ...
 
Glad I bought my vintage gear before the prices got crazy! I wouldn't want to be just starting in the vintage hobby at this time. Too pricey!
 
All three are nice I think the Project could be had for a little less money. It's a tough call though.Personally I'd go for the rebuilt Marantz.
 
Back
Top Bottom