• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage speakers for Luxman R-1040

Without your location, folks generally think USA and well you are in Europe and have completely different speakers to try. Let us know when you trip over a pair of those Cantons mentioned above.
 
Without your location, folks generally think USA and well you are in Europe and have completely different speakers to try. Let us know when you trip over a pair of those Cantons mentioned above.

True, I guess. Did mention Sweden in the first post (should I add it to my profile too, maybe?), but that’s OK really! Most US stuff seem to pop up here too, just not too often. I inquired about a pair of Boston A150’s just the other day, actually, but they were a six hour drive away, and seller didn’t want to ship (really heavy).
 
The Epicure 10 (EPI 100) is a nice speaker but a smaller speaker so not as much sound energy.

How much ”smaller” in sound are the EPI 100’s? I rarely play really loud, but the room is fairly large for a living room, about 40-45 square metres.

Also, are the EPI 100 T/E different from the original 100’s?
 
humanspeakers.com has your information on the EPI and other speakers.
https://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epimodels.htm

If you just want tunes the 10/100 would be fine. The TE is a later model after the great days of early Epicure Products Incorporated.

Ah, I was on humanspeakers, but watched too fast, didn’t find the part about Time Energy... In any case, thanks for the fast AND insightful replies. :) Have you heard the T/E speakers?
 
Nope, sold the Epicure 5, 10, 20+, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0. Love the 3.0 the 2.0 would be excellent with the Luxman but they only made a few of those and they were not cheap.
 
Nope, sold the Epicure 5, 10, 20+, 1.0, 2.0, 3.0. Love the 3.0 the 2.0 would be excellent with the Luxman but they only made a few of those and they were not cheap.

Okidoki, well I’ll research that some more and will keep my eyes open for various Epicures!
 
The Brauns are a small speaker but don't let that fool you. I don't know if there is much or any difference between them and their US counterpart/partner ADS

I have a pair of ADS L400's and occasional have used them in the past with a Luxman R-115. I don't listen to music at very loud levels at the levels I do listen to they sound great!
 
Was looking at a pair of Celestion Ditton 10, looked nice, fairly reasonable price and googling them, they got some praise. But then I saw that they were 15 ohm! That's a first for me (though admittedly, I don't have a whole lot of speaker experience). Do they requiere a huuge amp or what's the thing with those?

(Sorry for kinda off-topic, just haven't come across these before)
 
Just for the record, I checked the Monitor Audios again, with some help, and no problem with the tweeters. Obviously I didnt realise how it was supposed to sound with just the HF connectors in use (with the bindings to the.LF’s removed).

Aaanyway, feel like a fool. But glad to know they’re OK (just not to my, or the Luxman’s, taste).

Hopefully, I have a nice pair of speakers on their way, but won’t write anything until they’ve arrived and actually are up and running...
 
OK, life got in the way, I guess. :/

But anyway, nothing to soothe the soul like fine sounding music! Eventually I got a pair of Braun L420 for just above 50€. Seems like a good price. And they really sing with the Luxman! Though admittedly, I have to ignite the loudness button. :)

As promised, they have a real sparkly treble but also a nice ring to the bass. My only problem is our rather complicated room, which is actually two square rooms joint together, but still with about 2 metres and 0,5 m of wall left between them. When listening at about 3-4 metres from the speakers, they really, really shine. Trouble is, I’m usually located about 8-9 metres away from them, in the other part of the room, with part of the wall in the way. Still very fine listening, but I have to turn them up quite loud to really get that extra sparkle.

The optimal solution would be to place them in the part of the room where I’m at, of course, and a bigger pair of speakers where the Brauns are now. But there’s really no space.

Anyway, that’s another story. Even when I’m way off the sweet spot, these Brauns sound much better than what I had before. Obviously, they don’t have the huge bass of the Pioneers, but not strange considering they’re about half the size.

Huge thanks to @rickb119 and @Dswankey for turning me on to the Brauns, and to everyone else for many valuable hints and tips! It sure is appreciated with insightful and kindly shared info!!
 
^ Congrats!! I recently stumbled on a pair of ADS CM 5's, and I'm pretty sure they are Brauns as they were manufactured in Germany. They are a nice compact speaker, sound really god too!

Enjoy yours and if you really need some more bass a sub-woofer could really help out.
 
Thanks @Dswankey ! Yeah, I had only seen an old Braun receiver which someone waved off as "tinny". No idea if that was a true statement, but there's certainly nothing tinny about this speakers, they're very full and sparkling, especially for such small size.
 
A little update. The loudness button is definitely not needed on the Brauns. I guess the ears just had to readjust. :) I do turn up the bass quite a lot, though, and the treble just a notch or two, depending on the music. I also added the cheapest, but still decent quality, subwoofer I could find. An Argon that does the job when that extra thumping is needed.

I have also changed tweeters on the Pioneer CS-F51’s, and what a difference!! While testing, I listened to some mono records, and when A Hazy Shade of Winter came on, those trumpets (I guess they’re cornets?) suddenly had some texture, unlike with the original tweeters where they just sounded like squeaking toys.

Maybe this should go in a separate post, but here we go anyway. :) I actually picked up two different sets of tweeters, first I found some old classic Philips AD 0160’s (famous from Beovox and many other 70’s speakers), and then also a pair of newer Seas 19 TAF/G H414. Those Seas apparently were used in some Rogers L-something-speakers, perhaps L4? And some of Dali’s better 90’s speakers. The seller said they were held in high regard, and I think he was right.

This whole speaker parts stuff is new to me, but I saw that the Pioneers had clip-on wires and didn’t need soldering, and so I thought, what the heck, let’s pick up a cheap pair or two. I’m sure it could all be bettered some more if I worked on the crossover, but that’s beyond my knowledge at this point. Regardless, both the Philips and the Seas sounded way better than the original Pioneers. The Philips were livelier and closer to the Brauns (though not as refined), while the Seas had a more balanced sound, and a softer top end. I went with the latter, mostly to get a larger contrast from the Brauns. Perfect way to let the Luxman switch between engaging and relaxing presentation! :D
 
Glad you got something that works well together. Many here have room issues and as you have, learn to live with the limitation and have a favorite spot to enjoy tunes when that time comes.

Brauns are nice boxes, good choice.

Having a sub that can take the bass out of the Brauns would be best but any added bottom end for a sub would be welcome.
 
Back
Top Bottom