• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vintage TT in the $1,000 range ?

There is a JVC QL-Y66F with 2 tonearms at the same place in Chicago that has the Kenwood KD-500 . It looks nice. Also have a Music Hall MMF 9.1 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica Moving Coil and Q-UP. That looks real nice. Couple hundred above my $1,000, but thats ok.
 
There is a nice clean Kenwood KP990 in Japan with free shipping well under my current budget. But they state about import fees. Anyone know about how much those fees are ?
 
There is a nice clean Kenwood KP990 in Japan with free shipping well under my current budget. But they state about import fees. Anyone know about how much those fees are ?

That's a killer table, very much like the KP1100 I told you about, I would jump on that in a heartbeat. These tables have a slotless coreless motor, the type Technics is touting as to why their new table is worth 4G, Kenwood was using them 35yrs ago lol.

This is what's hiding under that beautiful exterior.
958653-ultra-rare-kenwoodseiko-kp1100-and-reson-reca-mm-cartridge.jpg

Some like to run them nude and with multiple arms.
93038983ed708b9329787bc981539713 (1).jpg
kenwood-kd-990-naked (1).jpg
 
That's a killer table, very much like the KP1100 I told you about, I would jump on that in a heartbeat. These tables have a slotless coreless motor, the type Technics is touting as to why their new table is worth 4G, Kenwood was using them 35yrs ago lol.

This is what's hiding under that beautiful exterior.
View attachment 1739853

Some like to run them nude and with multiple arms.
View attachment 1739854
View attachment 1739855

One could do a black anodize finish.
 
That's a killer table, very much like the KP1100 I told you about, I would jump on that in a heartbeat. These tables have a slotless coreless motor, the type Technics is touting as to why their new table is worth 4G, Kenwood was using them 35yrs ago lol.

This is what's hiding under that beautiful exterior.
View attachment 1739853

Some like to run them nude and with multiple arms.
View attachment 1739854
View attachment 1739855
That's the one I was thinking about the other day.
 
I posted a thread in Dollars & Sense for a Trio KP-5500. I do not know the seller nor am I affiliated with them
It sure is a nice looking wood plinth!
 
I have Polk Monitor 10's too and I love them. But once I hooked up my Sanui's SP5000's (Minty), OMG. They are loud and proud !!! 4-2-7 can attest to that. Crazy SPL with no distortion. Im talking you cant hear yourself think. And even at lower levels they are nice. Very efficient speakers.

Yup I recall many years ago when Dan would defend his Sansui speaker from more knowledgeable members. He has long moved on from those speakers.
 
Yup I recall many years ago when Dan would defend his Sansui speaker from more knowledgeable members. He has long moved on from those speakers.

I have Adam 7's and KRK's nearfields, that I mix on (studio reference monitors) and I get the same detail out of the Sansui's that those reference monitors produce. Have it set up to where I can pipe a control room mix out to the area I have the Sansui 9090db and SP5000's. I reference band mixes on all speakers to get a good mix. Even use an old school boom box and car stereo's in our vehicles. And I imagine at some point I will, maybe, swap out speakers for something better. But I doubt I could find speakers in the $1,000 range that would rival the Sansui's . So the focus is on a TT at this point. :)
 
I’ll echo some of the Sony lovers out there. I recently acquired a PS-X600 and it’s an absolute marvel. If I was in your budget I would look hard at the PS-X75. The biotracer arms sound so damn good, but the functionality of the table is just smooth and easy. I know we vinyl lovers are tinkery types but when something is easy to use it really does make the whole experience of playing MORE music more enjoyable.
 
  • Like
Reactions: DCH
Yup I recall many years ago when Dan would defend his Sansui speaker from more knowledgeable members. He has long moved on from those speakers.
Actually most those members where not all that knowledgeable;) most those members never owned a pair, let alone drive them with two MC275s.
In fact, it's possibly the biggest mistake I'v made in audio selling them to a friend. Mainly did it just to get some room around here as I was buying other speakers to use with the 275s. However no other speaker lasted as long as they did with the 275s, and all these other speakers are taking up space in the house now. I'd put them at the best all around enjoyable speakers I had matched to my 275s and I do look on CL to see if another pair is around all the time.
 
Actually most those members where not all that knowledgeable;) most those members never owned a pair, let alone drive them with two MC275s.
In fact, it's possibly the biggest mistake I'v made in audio selling them to a friend. Mainly did it just to get some room around here as I was buying other speakers to use with the 275s. However no other speaker lasted as long as they did with the 275s, and all these other speakers are taking up space in the house now. I'd put them at the best all around enjoyable speakers I had matched to my 275s and I do look on CL to see if another pair is around all the time.

2 sets in Westminster California on ebay.
 
Take a look at the Technics SL-MA1. It's fully automatic, has some of the best specs that Technics produced, and is also a very nice looking deck. I've got a couple and love em. Some people gripe about the p-mount carts, but I've found quite a few that sound fantastic. And maybe it's just me, but I enjoy the search for those carts. It's part of the fun of owning a vintage deck.
 
Hell no, Technics has absolutely nothing new that will compete with the Kenwood KP-1100 and other Kennys with the cast aluminum subchassis.

If you want to see what Kenwood was capable of check out the legendary L07D which still commands about 5G used. It's heads above anything Technics ever made.
What is the spares situation like with Kenwood turntables (kd990)
 
I have just spent £1000 on a pristine KD990 and an ATVM95SH cartridge for it and a record weight/stabilizer, it is coming from Germany and I am biting my nails in anticipation.
 
What is the spares situation like with Kenwood turntables (kd990)

2 main ICs are Toshiba TC9142P (Quartz PLL control) and NEC uPD7520 (microprocessor). Both are still available, I would buy 1 of each just to be on the safe in case something fails... Also Panasonic AN6562 opamps seem to be a bit unusual (built-in phase compensation) and worth stocking. The rest of the ICs are just regular garden variety opamps.
 
2 main ICs are Toshiba TC9142P (Quartz PLL control) and NEC uPD7520 (microprocessor). Both are still available, I would buy 1 of each just to be on the safe in case something fails... Also Panasonic AN6562 opamps seem to be a bit unusual (built-in phase compensation) and worth stocking. The rest of the ICs are just regular garden variety opamps.
Thanks a lot, I will make note of that.
 
Looking at the schematic, there are two more ICs: 4013 dual flip-flop and 4066 quad analogue switch. Both are available literally from anywhere and cost less than 1 euro for both.
 
Back
Top Bottom