• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vinyl boom a double edged sword to record shops?

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I think this depends on the market. There are a handful of shops I frequent in Chicago and most of the records are VG to NM. It's very rare that I see an LP I want and it's in unsuitable condition and I'm very picky about condition. However, I went to a shop in north central Wisconsin a few months ago and the records were in very poor condition and overpriced. Even their 45s were overpriced compared to Chicago, but I bought a few just to support the shop. Similarly, I bought probably 20 records at a Half Priced Books in Iowa months ago, all in great condition and priced very modestly. All the locations of that I've visited in Illinois and Wisconsin are selling VG condition commons for $5-10, things that would be in the $1 bin at any respectable shop. I know that HBP doesn't really count, but it was interesting to me see have hit the jackpot in Iowa and be skunked at every other location.
 
What Vintage Vinyl are you talking about. There are 4 of them in the US and I doubt you are talking about the one is St. Louis because their prices are cheaper than any of the 5 shops here. Considering you talk about two stores on in Chicago and one in Wisconsin I assume you are talking about the Vintage Vinyl in Chicago not the one this thread was based on.

Lets make sure if you are singling one shop out you know what shop you are talking about and two lets not turn this into a bashing thread. Also again this thread isn't about the price of records it's about the availability of records for shops to sell.
Sorry, I deleted my original post when I realized we were discussing a different shop.
 
If I were to open a store (and I have the stock to do it) there is no way in hell I would take in anything that did no grade at least EX to -NM. If the records and covers do not look clean, I would not buy them so why would I pawn off bad condition stuff to the customers I am trying to get in the door? Bad business there, people are steadily getting pickier about the vinyl they buy and if your associated with selling crap copies, your business will decline

As for the new stuff, the quality is hit or miss and the markup is ridiculous. I will stick with the original stuff and the only audiophile stuff I mess with is the old MFSL, Nautalis and other 80s era stuff. It is the equal or better then Japanese presses which are the gold standard for quality and quietness

Rule of thumb for me is if I won't buy it myself for personal use, I certainly won't sell it to customers
 
Sounds like the OP store is still using model where they wait around for people to sell them their collection for pennies on the dollars. You can't blame people for rejecting this scam. Record stores are a completely unnessary middleman. I go directly to the source and never pay more than $1 for any record.
 
If I were to open a store (and I have the stock to do it) there is no way in hell I would take in anything that did no grade at least EX to -NM. If the records and covers do not look clean, I would not buy them so why would I pawn off bad condition stuff to the customers I am trying to get in the door? Bad business there, people are steadily getting pickier about the vinyl they buy and if your associated with selling crap copies, your business will decline

As for the new stuff, the quality is hit or miss and the markup is ridiculous. I will stick with the original stuff and the only audiophile stuff I mess with is the old MFSL, Nautalis and other 80s era stuff. It is the equal or better then Japanese presses which are the gold standard for quality and quietness

Rule of thumb for me is if I won't buy it myself for personal use, I certainly won't sell it to customers

The problem with that is many of these places buy whole collections to get the good stuff that is in them. They get stuck with thousands of records that are not so good. The solution for most guys is to put them in $1 boxes on the floor under the bins.

Anything that doesn't sell? One store near me wraps about 20 records in brown paper, and sells the package for $2. You have to open it when you get home. Strangely, they seem to sell.
 
I don't think DJ singles are a good indicator of the health of vinyl records. You can find a lot of pop titles on vinyl granted not as much as rock and indie stuff but it's out there. You just don't see stores carrying it because it's not as popular as the radio wants you to think. By pop do you mean top 40 stuff or DJ stuff?

Top 40 stuff pretty much.
 
[Moderator: removed political content.]

Other than that, mom and pops have to do what they always did, be unique, provide superior customer service and keep labor costs as low as possible.

Darn - I wish I got to see your full comment. But I do agree standout customer service will help them standout. Even then, I think most people will err on the side of price if it's cheap enough. In other words, great service; be darned.
 
Darn - I wish I got to see your full comment. But I do agree standout customer service will help them standout. Even then, I think most people will err on the side of price if it's cheap enough. In other words, great service; be darned.
Well, it wasn't so much "political" as economic reality that is self-evident to those who understand the impact of government actions and inactions on the marketplace. Ah, well...
 
Back
Top Bottom