• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Voltage Doubler power supply - insulated capacitor?

Modern electrolytic capacitors have often the top exposed and in the case of a voltage doubler this can be dangerous as we all assume the exposed part is to ground.
As Gadget said., we learn often the reality of the situation with our big meaty fingers :)

I have seen some type of liquid insulator glue put on top to cover the exposed area, which would make the caps safer. Do you guys know what it is?
 
I have seen some type of liquid insulator glue put on top to cover the exposed area, which would make the caps safer. Do you guys know what it is?
liquid electrical tape perhaps. Its kind of a brush-on black rubber goo.
 
Thanks Gadget. Liquid Electrical tape. That's the one.

When I was 13, I was using my mom nail polish :rolleyes:... It worked though.
 
Thats enamel, good enough for magnet wire insulation in electric motors. Not sure the volts per mil insulation rating of nail polish but its probably higher than you expect.
 
For information these are my new power supply capacitors. Rather than re-stuff the original cans I decided to use 30mm ID PVC pipe with clip in closures. The labelling is done with laser printed wet transfers and indicates the type of capacitor(s) contained within. The wiring is done with sleeved Alpha EcoWire rated at 600vdc and this will be terminated on tag strips under chassis. The sizes are similar to the originals and all will fit the existing clamps

View attachment 886049 View attachment 886050 View attachment 886051

Cheers, Malcolm

Looks amazing.
What was used for each end?
 
Back
Top Bottom