• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

VPI Traveler: unfortunate tonearm issue

KGB1

Active Member
Afraid I have to revive this topic, perhaps much to the dismay of some, but here goes:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=484977

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=494428


After much anticipation, I received my Traveler today from Music Direct.

Before I decided to go with the Traveler, I knew of this thread, and others, so I spoke directly to VPI and Music Direct to get a sense of the issue and how they would support me if any problems occurred. I made a decision to accept the risk, believing that if I have problems they will be addressed.

A few minutes into the assembling the TT , and in spite of my efforts to be extra gentle and cautious, the tonearm came loose from the gimbal as described in other threads.

I could probably fix it, but I have no intentions of trying based on principal and because if the product does have a manufacturing flaw, it will simply happen again with this specific TT.

It should be noted that others have stated that they recently received a TT that appeared to be a "version 1.1", i.e. the plinth is textured vs. smooth, different platter mat and the logo is in a different location.

I’m assuming I received an original or "version 1", as mine has none of those characteristics.

Of course, I phoned Music Direct and they will take care of it based on what I decide, but I have not decided yet.

I need to take a walk and think about it first…

Kenny
 
Register to hide this ad
Please take care that you do nothing to void the warranty.

Yes, that is exactly why I am doing nothing to it as it specifically states that some actions can void the warranty.

I'll just box it back up carefully and ship back to Music Direct...

Not sure if I will try another Traveler or do something else. Better if I give myself some time to think it over.

K.
 
ugh.. If you absolutely MUST have this TT and no other will suffice, then I'd ship it back along with your cartridge and instruct them to install it. The problem with this, though, is someday you might need to replace the cartridge and you'll have to go it alone, and the TT may at that point be out of warranty.

sheesh. ..Time for VPI to scrap that tonearm (or at least the first iteration). ..There are other tonearm designs that work perfectly well that do not come apart when handled.

sorry to hear of this.
 
Simply ship it back to VPI and also havea talk with the good folks at VPI (if they are available) and make sure you specify that you want the V2 and you want it at the same price for your trouble. I'm certain they will accommodate you.

If you decide to move on there are the Rega RP6 and Clearaudio Concept at a similar price. Next price point up is the Well Tempered Simplex. 2K that I don't regret spending. Good luck to you.
 
It will definitely get shipped back to Music Direct. Must say the packing that VPI uses is outstanding and I'll have fun trying to get it all back in place.

Before I decide which direction to go, though, I'll probably sleep on it.

My first inclination is not to buy online...nothing wrong with buying online, but I would prefer to have the local support, and to be honest, I don't have time to tinker with setup, etc...I want to listen to music on vinyl and not tinker around with the TT.

No VPI dealers near me, so my options are Rega, Music Hall and probably the Marantz TT-S51. Maybe others, but this is what I am aware of.

Although, an AKer did point me in the direction of a VPI Scout (B-stock). Not sure yet what I think about dropping that much cash on something that is potentially scratched or beaten up. Even with B-stock it is $250 + more than the Traveler.

Dunno, I'm sure I'll change my mind once or twice, except for the fact that this one will be shipped back. Incredibly disappointed as I should be listening to Steely Dan right now.

Cheers,

K.
 
Last edited:
I exchanged my v1.0 Traveler for the newer version with the longer tonearm pins. That new version has been perfect for a period of about 2+ months. I've removed the tonearm assembly to change carts twice with no issues.

There are other excellent options in that price range as well. The Clearaudio Concept looks interesting. You have many good options. This will all work out well for you in the end. Take your time and think it through.
 
I exchanged my v1.0 Traveler for the newer version with the longer tonearm pins. That new version has been perfect for a period of about 2+ months. I've removed the tonearm assembly to change carts twice with no issues.

There are other excellent options in that price range as well. The Clearaudio Concept looks interesting. You have many good options. This will all work out well for you in the end. Take your time and think it through.

Thanks Jim,

Is your new TT referred to as "Version 2" with the new motor to support international voltages?

K.
 
Thanks Jim,

Is your new TT referred to as "Version 2" with the new motor to support international voltages?

K.

No, my version of the Traveler does not have the new universal motor. It does have the new mat, the silk screened logo on top, the tonearm with longer pins and the texured color (blue) finish.
 
Yes, that is exactly why I am doing nothing to it as it specifically states that some actions can void the warranty.

I'll just box it back up carefully and ship back to Music Direct...

Not sure if I will try another Traveler or do something else. Better if I give myself some time to think it over.

K.

Unless you are moving up in the VPI line, I would go with a different brand...one that is proven.
 
Please take care that you do nothing to void the warranty.

Man, I don't know. It seems VPI has major quality control issues from what I have been reading regarding a lot of their products lately. In today's day and age it almost sounds like you void the warranty the minute you sign for delivery of the product.:no: Is nothing good anymore?
 
Get the VPI Scout "B" stock at Music Direct and save $400!

It would actually cost me more since it is step up the VPI line, even with the B-Stock discount.

I am considering it, but I have not done my diligence on the Scout so it would take me a bit of time to make the decision.

K.
 
Is nothing good anymore?

From what I see on a regular basis not much.

Not saying everything is poorly made, but what used to be regarded
as without issue now seems to have issues. At least in my arena.

Perhaps the pendulum will swing back some day.
 
okay, well.. now that the recommendations for other tables are beginning to fly, allow me to make mine...

A new-in-box Technics SL1200mk2 for $1200.

I realize it doesn't anoint it's owner "I'm an audiophile!" the way a VPI, clear audio, etc...might, but in terms of technology, build quality, reliability, parts availability and performance, it trumps everything I was able to put my hands on in the $1500 range. ..Which includes Pro-Jects, Regas, Thorens, Music Halls. The only entrant not yet available when I was looking was the VPI Traveler. ..And I might as well say $2000, b/c the next model up from each of the $1500 I looked at was almost always >$2000.

..Obviously, the best outcome would be for you to quickly resolve your issues with your Traveler, but if you're compelled to look at something else, keep this in mind.
 
Yes, that is exactly why I am doing nothing to it as it specifically states that some actions can void the warranty.

I'll just box it back up carefully and ship back to Music Direct...

Not sure if I will try another Traveler or do something else. Better if I give myself some time to think it over.

K.


Music Direct is very helpful when there is a problem.
 
KGB1

Based on the information in your original post and in the other threads you knew that you were taking a chance when you decided to save $200. Music Direct as a dealer is offering to do the only thing they can do under the circumstances and offering to take the TT back and issue you a refund. Since VPI should be through with their move you also have the option of calling Harry or his son at VPI and see if they will do something different like others have. If he has the 1.1 tables still in the plant he may swap you out or you can just pay the extra for the new version. I would not trade a Traveler in for a Rega though and that is from a former Rega owner, they are not my cup of tea and from looking at both and reading on most of the vinyl forums the build quality is not the same. For full disclosure I have never owned a VPI product and like ODS123 am not a SL-1200 "fan boy" and still wonder why he even gets involved in threads about anything other than his beloved SL-1200.
 
Back
Top Bottom