AndyPrice44
Active Member
Hello AKers,
I have been shopping for a Mcintosh MC7300. Yesterday I came across a website called hifisellnbuy.com. He had in stock many mcintosh pieces including the MC7300 I wanted for cheap, cheap prices. He was asking $1200.00 for the amp which is about $1k less than anywhere else I had seen.
I first sent an e-mail requesting more information about this unit along with more pictures. He replied and said he did have the unit in stock and it was in great shape and he could ship it right away. He said please go ahead and send him a paypal payment and he would ship it out overnight the following morning.
I then asked a second time for more pictures and he then told me that the unit was packed and ready to be shipped. He acted like this was a hassle and he didn't want to unpack it again... Finally I said I wouldn't buy without more detailed pictures and he agreed that he could send more pictures.
I got the e-mail with the pictures and I found it odd that they all had different backgrounds. It was like he was picking up the amp and taking it to a different location for each picture. This seemed fishy from the start and now I started to suspect what was happening here.
I then asked him to take a picture with a note in front of the unit that said "audiokarma". He never responded to my e-mail. I then searched google and was able to come up with most of the images he had sent me in the first e-mail. Once I knew what kind of scumbag I was dealing with, I began F***ing with him some.
I called the phone number he has listed on the site and a man answered in broken english. I couldn't really understand him but, I proceeded to tell him that I was really interested in buying the MC7300. He says " YES, YES, WONDRFEEL!! I ship you direct. I ship you today! Give me credit card peeeese. I then started making up some technical questions to ask him about the amp.
First I asked him how many channels this amp had. He says it is a 5.1 channel amp, make movie sound sooooo good. (the MC7300 is a stereo amp). I asked him how many watts per channel did the amp have and he tells me 100 watts per channel. ( it is a 300wpc amp)
I then threw him a curve ball and asked him what the total harmonic distortion rating was. He says this amp no distortion, this is good amp, it no distortion. It sound good. Real good. It the best amp. Best surround sound.....
I tried to contain my laughter and then I agreed to buy the amp. He really perked up then. He says YES SIRR, YES SIRR, give me credit card. He asked what kind of card I had and I told him American Expressway. I then gave him a fake credit card number that had 19 digits total.
He kept trying to process the payment and kept saying CARD NO GOOD. After about the sixth time trying that card. I gave him another fake card number. He tried and tried again but, no cigar.
He then asked me to send him a paypal. By this time I was tired of messing with him. He told me his paypal address and I agreed to send payment. Of course I never did. After a few hours he has sent me an e-mail saying the item is packed, please send payment. Payment must be sent today or else he will sell to another interested customer. I never responded.....
I did a google search for hifisellnbuy. I found a couple of forum threads and one in particular was over at head-fi. It was from a few years ago. It was talking about a product someone was contemplating buying because the price was a steal. He was going to go over to the store and check it out. The store location was in his town and at that time was in Arizona. Today it says Seattle, Wa on the website.
I also found a link to the better business bureau and a report on this company. It had a F rating and cited many cases of delivery problems.
I just wanted to warn everybody about this con artist and hopefully this will be seen and maybe save someone their hard earned money. I know most people wouldn't be stupid enough to fall for something like this but, if you just click buy and go ahead and pay, you are screwed.
All it took was a few e-mails and a phone call to figure this guy out. Obviously he knows there is a lot of money in vintage audio. I just don't want to see anyone fall victim to him. I wish I knew a way to take his website down and ban him from the internet for life. It's just very unfortunate that dishonest, scumbag people like this exist. Watch out folks. Be careful about who you choose to do business with.
Andy
I have been shopping for a Mcintosh MC7300. Yesterday I came across a website called hifisellnbuy.com. He had in stock many mcintosh pieces including the MC7300 I wanted for cheap, cheap prices. He was asking $1200.00 for the amp which is about $1k less than anywhere else I had seen.
I first sent an e-mail requesting more information about this unit along with more pictures. He replied and said he did have the unit in stock and it was in great shape and he could ship it right away. He said please go ahead and send him a paypal payment and he would ship it out overnight the following morning.
I then asked a second time for more pictures and he then told me that the unit was packed and ready to be shipped. He acted like this was a hassle and he didn't want to unpack it again... Finally I said I wouldn't buy without more detailed pictures and he agreed that he could send more pictures.
I got the e-mail with the pictures and I found it odd that they all had different backgrounds. It was like he was picking up the amp and taking it to a different location for each picture. This seemed fishy from the start and now I started to suspect what was happening here.
I then asked him to take a picture with a note in front of the unit that said "audiokarma". He never responded to my e-mail. I then searched google and was able to come up with most of the images he had sent me in the first e-mail. Once I knew what kind of scumbag I was dealing with, I began F***ing with him some.
I called the phone number he has listed on the site and a man answered in broken english. I couldn't really understand him but, I proceeded to tell him that I was really interested in buying the MC7300. He says " YES, YES, WONDRFEEL!! I ship you direct. I ship you today! Give me credit card peeeese. I then started making up some technical questions to ask him about the amp.
First I asked him how many channels this amp had. He says it is a 5.1 channel amp, make movie sound sooooo good. (the MC7300 is a stereo amp). I asked him how many watts per channel did the amp have and he tells me 100 watts per channel. ( it is a 300wpc amp)
I then threw him a curve ball and asked him what the total harmonic distortion rating was. He says this amp no distortion, this is good amp, it no distortion. It sound good. Real good. It the best amp. Best surround sound.....
I tried to contain my laughter and then I agreed to buy the amp. He really perked up then. He says YES SIRR, YES SIRR, give me credit card. He asked what kind of card I had and I told him American Expressway. I then gave him a fake credit card number that had 19 digits total.
He kept trying to process the payment and kept saying CARD NO GOOD. After about the sixth time trying that card. I gave him another fake card number. He tried and tried again but, no cigar.
He then asked me to send him a paypal. By this time I was tired of messing with him. He told me his paypal address and I agreed to send payment. Of course I never did. After a few hours he has sent me an e-mail saying the item is packed, please send payment. Payment must be sent today or else he will sell to another interested customer. I never responded.....
I did a google search for hifisellnbuy. I found a couple of forum threads and one in particular was over at head-fi. It was from a few years ago. It was talking about a product someone was contemplating buying because the price was a steal. He was going to go over to the store and check it out. The store location was in his town and at that time was in Arizona. Today it says Seattle, Wa on the website.
I also found a link to the better business bureau and a report on this company. It had a F rating and cited many cases of delivery problems.
I just wanted to warn everybody about this con artist and hopefully this will be seen and maybe save someone their hard earned money. I know most people wouldn't be stupid enough to fall for something like this but, if you just click buy and go ahead and pay, you are screwed.
All it took was a few e-mails and a phone call to figure this guy out. Obviously he knows there is a lot of money in vintage audio. I just don't want to see anyone fall victim to him. I wish I knew a way to take his website down and ban him from the internet for life. It's just very unfortunate that dishonest, scumbag people like this exist. Watch out folks. Be careful about who you choose to do business with.
Andy
Last edited: