• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

West Lake BBSM-6 Studio Monitor Restoration w/pics

GD70

Lunatic Member
Hey all!
My friend who's KEF 104.2s I restored several years ago asked me to get his BBSMs working again if I was interested, well, hell yeah!
He use to be in sound in TV and Movies. These came from one of the studios he had worked in that closed its doors. He told me a lot of stuff was being tossed in the dumpster, and he grabbed three of these. Left-Right-Center channel. 6th order crossovers! Every component was measured and noted on small labels so everything matched. I read they take about a week to build the crossovers! I didn't touch them! All top quality caps, coils and resistors. I counted 13 caps, 11 coils, 6 resistors. I pretty much takes up the entire back panel which is removable.
There's thick, proprietary, heavy damping soundproof compound on every surface including the driver baskets. The crossover components and wiring are covered with silicone so nothing moves. This creates a complete inert box, essentially a cement block! They are not that large, but weigh a ton!

Speaker info off the web:
The Westlake Audio BBSM-6 is a legendary three-way, passive, reflex-loaded studio monitor featuring a distinctive horizontally aligned driver arrangement. [1, 2, 3]

Key Specifications
    • Type: 3-way, passive, stand-mounted, front-ported nearfield/midfield reference monitor
    • Drive Units: Two 6" plastic-cone woofers, one 3.5" pulp-cone midrange, and one 1" soft-dome tweeter
    • Frequency Response: 60Hz–18kHz (±3dB)
    • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms (minimum 2 ohms)
    • Sensitivity: 91dB/W/m
    • Dimensions: 10.75" H × 22" W × 13" D (27.3 × 55.9 × 33 cm)
    • Weight: 50 lbs (22.5 kg) each [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]

Performance & Usage
    • Design Purpose: Built for high SPL, low phase distortion, and precise stereo imaging in professional control rooms and broadcast suites. [1]
    • Reputation: Praised by engineers for accurate translation across mixing and tracking environments, though proper heavy-gauge speaker wiring and careful amp pairing (such as classic Bryston amplifiers) are recommended due to the demanding 2-ohm minimum impedance load. [1, 2]
    • Variants: The standard BBSM-6 featured a black utility finish, while the BBSM-6F version came in an oiled walnut veneer.
They had been in storage in a dry basement for many years, and mice took occupation! Man they stunk! Also when I lifted one of the woofers, a big ass cockroach popped out to see what was going on, biggest mistake of its life! My worry was, are there more in there, and will they escape into my basement, but this was the only one!
I tested all the drivers, and the tweeters were dead. They are Audax, and I ordered the correct equalivents (newer improved) from Madisound. Also ordered 2IMG_4640.jpegIMG_4641.jpegIMG_4642.jpegIMG_4643.jpegIMG_4645.jpegIMG_4646.jpegIMG_4646.jpegIMG_4647.jpegIMG_4648.jpegIMG_4649.jpegIMG_4650.jpeglbs of "Fill" from Madison to replace the stinking fiberglass.
The mids have flat surrounds and I sourced them from Audiofriends in the Netherlands.
Lastly I needed a soundproof compound to put on the new tweeters magnets like the originals, and used Titebond Acoustic Sealant.

The cabs needed some minor repairs, one corner was smashed in a bit. I used JB WeldWood to build it up and shape to the original contours. These are painted black, so I wasn't worried about matching veneer.

When I removed the drivers, there's a rubber gasket under east, and it had some kind of oily stuff on them, I suppose to keep them from drying out, and easy driver removal. Every thing is soldered, no clips.

Once I had everything completed and reassembled, they sounded great, though I would say they are not great for home HiFi, these are clinical, revealing studio monitors for mixing.
Extremely detailed, dimensional. Bass is there, but not chest thumping at all.
Here's pics!
Cheers, Glenn
 
Register to hide this ad
Hey all!
My friend who's KEF 104.2s I restored several years ago asked me to get his BBSMs working again if I was interested, well, hell yeah!
He use to be in sound in TV and Movies. These came from one of the studios he had worked in that closed its doors. He told me a lot of stuff was being tossed in the dumpster, and he grabbed three of these. Left-Right-Center channel. 6th order crossovers! Every component was measured and noted on small labels so everything matched. I read they take about a week to build the crossovers! I didn't touch them! All top quality caps, coils and resistors. I counted 13 caps, 11 coils, 6 resistors. I pretty much takes up the entire back panel which is removable.
There's thick, proprietary, heavy damping soundproof compound on every surface including the driver baskets. The crossover components and wiring are covered with silicone so nothing moves. This creates a complete inert box, essentially a cement block! They are not that large, but weigh a ton!

Speaker info off the web:
The Westlake Audio BBSM-6 is a legendary three-way, passive, reflex-loaded studio monitor featuring a distinctive horizontally aligned driver arrangement. [1, 2, 3]

Key Specifications
    • Type: 3-way, passive, stand-mounted, front-ported nearfield/midfield reference monitor
    • Drive Units: Two 6" plastic-cone woofers, one 3.5" pulp-cone midrange, and one 1" soft-dome tweeter
    • Frequency Response: 60Hz–18kHz (±3dB)
    • Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms (minimum 2 ohms)
    • Sensitivity: 91dB/W/m
    • Dimensions: 10.75" H × 22" W × 13" D (27.3 × 55.9 × 33 cm)
    • Weight: 50 lbs (22.5 kg) each [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]

Performance & Usage
    • Design Purpose: Built for high SPL, low phase distortion, and precise stereo imaging in professional control rooms and broadcast suites. [1]
    • Reputation: Praised by engineers for accurate translation across mixing and tracking environments, though proper heavy-gauge speaker wiring and careful amp pairing (such as classic Bryston amplifiers) are recommended due to the demanding 2-ohm minimum impedance load. [1, 2]
    • Variants: The standard BBSM-6 featured a black utility finish, while the BBSM-6F version came in an oiled walnut veneer.
They had been in storage in a dry basement for many years, and mice took occupation! Man they stunk! Also when I lifted one of the woofers, a big ass cockroach popped out to see what was going on, biggest mistake of its life! My worry was, are there more in there, and will they escape into my basement, but this was the only one!
I tested all the drivers, and the tweeters were dead. They are Audax, and I ordered the correct equalivents (newer improved) from Madisound. Also ordered 2View attachment 3843026View attachment 3843027View attachment 3843028View attachment 3843029View attachment 3843030View attachment 3843031View attachment 3843031View attachment 3843032View attachment 3843033View attachment 3843034View attachment 3843035lbs of "Fill" from Madison to replace the stinking fiberglass.
The mids have flat surrounds and I sourced them from Audiofriends in the Netherlands.
Lastly I needed a soundproof compound to put on the new tweeters magnets like the originals, and used Titebond Acoustic Sealant.

The cabs needed some minor repairs, one corner was smashed in a bit. I used JB WeldWood to build it up and shape to the original contours. These are painted black, so I wasn't worried about matching veneer.

When I removed the drivers, there's a rubber gasket under east, and it had some kind of oily stuff on them, I suppose to keep them from drying out, and easy driver removal. Every thing is soldered, no clips.

Once I had everything completed and reassembled, they sounded great, though I would say they are not great for home HiFi, these are clinical, revealing studio monitors for mixing.
Extremely detailed, dimensional. Bass is there, but not chest thumping at all.
Here's pics!
Cheers, Glenn
That's true passion Glen! Kudos!
 
Westlakes are pretty cool but can be expensive. A good friend has BBSM-15’s but not sure which revision. Nice job on your rebuild. I’ve always enjoyed your cabinet restoration projects.

This is from the Westlake site, not my friend’s pair. His are older with a few detail differences.

Yup! Those are beasts! 375 lbs!
A set on epay listed for almost 12k

Info from the web:
The original retail price for a pair of Westlake Audio BBSM-15F monitors historically ranged around $49,850 to over $74,000 depending on the specific configuration and year (such as the VNF/F variants listed in historical manufacturer price sheets).

Because these high-end studio monitors are largely vintage or built to order, new retail units are rarely found on the open market, and current values rely heavily on the used market where pairs frequently list or sell between $12,000 and $15,000 depending on condition.
 
What a fabulous project to have Glenn. Owners got the right man for the job that for sure.

Had to laugh over that Pic of the prehistoric creature! Wonder how long it was in there?

Garry.

Oh ... nice choice for the tacky glue! Richard uses the same product. Good stuff!
 
What a fabulous project to have Glenn. Owners got the right man for the job that for sure.

Had to laugh over that Pic of the prehistoric creature! Wonder how long it was in there?

Garry.

Oh ... nice choice for the tacky glue! Richard uses the same product. Good stuff!
Thanks Garry!
Aileen’s Tacky glue is perfect for surrounds. Good working time, and if you screw it up, it’s water soluble so you can redo the screwup!
When that roach popped out, it stood there on its front haunches, looking like it just discovered America! Then, bam!
These speakers are fascinating. Never saw anything like the interior of these.
The owner is thrilled! I’m excited to have them singing when he comes to pick them up. He hasn’t heard them in a long time. This is the same gent that gifted me the quad system from his aunt and uncles house.

Glenn
 
What a great project. The speakers are really worth the effort, nobody is making more of them, and Westlakes sound fantastic. I like how you replicated the coating on the back of the tweeter.

Disgusting inside the speakers, I wonder if the owner knew about the cockroach and mouse occupation
 
What a great project. The speakers are really worth the effort, nobody is making more of them, and Westlakes sound fantastic. I like how you replicated the coating on the back of the tweeter.

Disgusting inside the speakers, I wonder if the owner knew about the cockroach and mouse occupation
Thanks!
These aren’t common, and most don’t know much about them unless you’re a pro sound person.
I alerted the owner about the mouse and roach motel. He had no idea, being they had been in storage for years.
The sound coating was a must, I wanted to keep these as close as possible to their original design.
 
Thanks Garry!
Aileen’s Tacky glue is perfect for surrounds. Good working time, and if you screw it up, it’s water soluble so you can redo the screwup!
When that roach popped out, it stood there on its front haunches, looking like it just discovered America! Then, bam!
These speakers are fascinating. Never saw anything like the interior of these.
The owner is thrilled! I’m excited to have them singing when he comes to pick them up. He hasn’t heard them in a long time. This is the same gent that gifted me the quad system from his aunt and uncles house.

Glenn

Roach was alive! Hah .... I have to re-read the thread now. I looked at it from my phone at work earlier. Yeah I did pick up these were special.

Garry~
 
Thanks!
These aren’t common, and most don’t know much about them unless you’re a pro sound person.
I alerted the owner about the mouse and roach motel. He had no idea, being they had been in storage for years.
The sound coating was a must, I wanted to keep these as close as possible to their original design.
I've heard a few models of Westlake before, and I hold them in very high regard. I did strongly consider getting a set of the smaller ones. The guy who ran the company was the sort of eccentric mad scientist that makes audio fun. Their website used to have some videos about their technology, and some of it was very unique.

Try them with a powerful amp like a Bryston for best results. These aren't speakers for the single ended triode folks.
 
Try them with a powerful amp like a Bryston for best results. These aren't speakers for the single ended triode folks.
I measured the system impedance of my friends 15's. Definately not for a low powered amp. Impedance drops below 2 ohms in the 80-100 range and hits 2 ohms just over 1kHz. The electrical phase is pretty flat and near 0 degrees, especially above approx 100Hz. However, they are set up for easy passive biamping with a terminal strip on the front. He has run them with a tube amp on the mid/high section and it worked quite well.
 

Attachments

Back
Top Bottom