• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Wharfedale W-70 speakers.

Register to hide this ad
I see them selling on eBay for $300 and not selling on eBay for $100. Value is dependent on location. I'd say $100 to $150 per pair is a great price as long as you like them and they're in good condition.
 
I'm trying to make time to look at them, interested in people's impressions of them. Never heard them before, myself, not sure what to look for in evaluating them (other than how they sound).
 
Test them and listen to each driver for output. Expect to change out the cap(s) in the crossover to get them up to par. Happily they do not use foam surrounds so it is not an issue. You may hear voice coil rub that is not uncommon with these drivers. They have very small gaps. Corrected by rotating the drivers 180 degrees and letting the sit for a bit or puting the speakers on their backs. Only other item may be the connections. This will depend on where made and marketed. The could have screw terminals if made for North America, a Motorola plug is made in Asia under license or a set of plugins if made for Europe. If the latter make sure you get the plugs as they are not standard and impossible to locate today. If other than the screws, there is plenty of room on the crossovers to convert to 5-way binding posts so do not be put off.

These do not need high powr, 20 watts is more than enough to make them sing quite nicely. The 1st watt is very important with them. Remember they have sand filled backs so take care not to violate them and cause leaks.

Soundwise, they are British voiced which ain't bad at all. From a period when frequency response did not go out to light speed so for some they seem to be missing some of the high end. Low end is not a thumping bass, just balanced and natural; nothing like so many speakers ar like today. For me, a very good speaker and tied for 2nd place in my current lineup.
 
Thanks for the comments, I appreciate any and all insights. :music:

What Brian said. :thmbsp:


When I want to go to the extremes in frequency response, I'll run them with my normans.
They are very realistic in presentation. The one speaker that is always in the mix.


attachment.php



Steve
 
What Brian said. :thmbsp:


When I want to go to the extremes in frequency response, I'll run them with my normans.
They are very realistic in presentation. The one speaker that is always in the mix.


attachment.php



Steve

Thanks for the comments. That helps me when I go listen, so I know what to listen for and what to audition on them.

Joe
 
Back
Top Bottom