• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What’s your latest test equipment acquisition?

I have been looking for an analog scope for a while now, I was keeping my eye out for a nice Tektronix 24xx but four sencore 3100's popped up locally for less than a 2445 and I couldn't help myself.
sencores.jpg
Each was in some state of disrepair, using one as donor I have gotten three fully functional and one very non-functional.

I was hoping to fix all four but my scope diagnostic skills are a little lacking, ill take three as a win.
 
I splurged.

:rflmao:
 
Sweet! Did you get probes with them? Sencore had lots of probes and accessories - I had a bunch I sold last year that were in high demand.
No sencore probes, I'm not planning on buying them any time soon since the go for >100 bucks a pop.
I do have some HP probes with the nub at the end which I have been using to test the units (the HP probes don't have enough adjustment range for the 3100).

From what I can tell the nubs short out a 10x attenuator to the AC meter so it doesn't get 1/100th the signal when you use a 10x probe.

I will occasionally use the units with an external 10x attenuator so I need to figure out a solution if I want accurate AC measurement. I'm thinking of either putting a short spring around the input bnc to hopefully make contact, or buying a few P6500B probes on aliexpress and trying to repurpose them for 1x.
 
I picked up a Tektronix K213 Lab Instrument Cart on the weekend. Fancy name for what they used to call a Scope-Mobile. Has the shelf and the four-outlet power bar. It's so clean I'd call it mint shape, but it's missing the left latch-release trigger. The screw is still there, so I'll spin something up on the lathe.

It's the perfect size for my 570 Curve Tracer, and they claim it will support 75lbs on the top tray. Good thing, because the 570 is a porky little piggy, and supposedly weighs in at 75lbs, which is even heavier than my 547. I guess the four power transformers add up. When these are parked side by side in the shop I think I'll call them Mr & Mrs Fata** :biggrin:

I don't want to attach the scope with safety straps; they're kinda ugly (needs two) and they make it difficult to remove the side panels. I think I'll either drill and tap the side-rails underneath or install some rivnuts. That way I can use some knurled screws to attach it from beneath the tray. This worked well with the 547.

 
Yeah, I noticed that AFTER I'd put it in. Was rather annoyed, to be honest - I searched for the replacement by model number (N-50SB3), and that came up. At $30, I figured it was exact and another NiCd and that expensive because NiCds are getting harder to find. It was only after I soldered it in and went to mark the installation date on it that I noticed the NiMH marking. :rant::rant::rant: I'm going to go in and measure the charge current & voltage and see how it looks. Of course there seems to be a dearth of specs on the replacement (recommended specs), and I've since found that Newark carries 3.6 V NiCds (for about $8 instead of $30!!), so I may just play it safe and order one of those. Of course this is one of the instruments that they never really released schematics for, so figuring out the charging circuit might be a PITA.

-Pat

Zoro.com and Digikey have packs of four 2/3 AA Ultralast Ni-cd rechargeable batteries for around $5.50.

I own three 8665B's and when I last cleaned them, I soldered the batteries up with long leads.

I stuck them to the wall of the card cavity with attachment tape. They work great :thumbsup:

Q8NCinZ.jpg
LdUOT9B.jpg


XufAscf.jpg
 
IMG_8554.jpeg
IMG_8555.jpeg
IMG_8583.jpeg

IMG_8586.jpeg

The flukes have all sorts of errors and the data precision won’t power on. But the two scopes work and have special plugins that will pay for my test equipment purchasing hobby and then some once I sell em (not here of course)

I haven’t tried powering the network analyzer on. I just wanted it for a spare display for 3562a.
 
Bought for parts money. Fuse wasn’t seated properly and also was the wrong bulb. Working now! I happened to get some tubes with recent measurements from @zim bida and was able to replicate the reading on one (couldn’t find the codes for the other).

Score!!

IMG_4346.jpeg
 
After not buying a few of these that showed up on the auction site over the years, I decided to grab this one when it made an appearance. It arrived today; I plan to poke and prod at it over the weekend and get some better/more extensive photos and try to sketch out a schematic. ET- stuff to my understanding was typically internal HP factory equipment and not offered for general sale as catalog items.

HP%20ET-1964%20Variable%20AC%20Supply%20front%20quarter-X2.jpg


-Pat
 
Is the ET-1064 also isolated? I've been looking at BK Precision 1653 / 1655 models that are both variable and isolate. I think Viz has a few of those as well.
 
Nice ET-1964, @Cubdriver. I have only seen one or two for sale before.

Not my latest test gear acquisitions - got them several months ago - but I've now inspected them and have started to think of some good uses for them. The GenRad 1864 is in superb condition, as are the two HP units. I'm always blown away by the quality of design, parts, and construction of top quality test gear from 40+ years ago.

TestGear1.jpg
 
I found this nice (and cheap) 403B - later production model. hopefully the batteries inside aren't blown up and leaking everywhere. Should be nice for making floating AC measurements where I want the analog meter for peaking etc.

1778774240749.png

And I found a print version of the Keithley Low Level Measurements 7th edition book. I thought it was digital only, so that's cool:
1778774330440.png
 
Back
Top Bottom