• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are the best speakers???

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdwaller

Active Member
WHAT ARE THE BEST SPEAKERS TO USE FOR A COMBINATION OF MUSIC (CD AND VINYL) AND HOME THEATRE? I LISTEN TO MOSTLY ROCK, DANCE, COUNTRY MUSIC, SOMETIMES LIGHT JAZZ AND A LITTLE CLASSICAL.

I AM USING AN ONKYO 5 X 100 WATT DTS RECEIVER, THEIR HIGH END UNIT WITH DISCRETE OUTPUTS.

CURRENTLY USING CERWIN VEGA RE-30'S. I ALSO HAVE BIC VENTURI FORMULA-6, SANSUI SP-7500X, SANSUI SP-1500, PIONEER CS-77A, PIONEER CS-G404, OPTIMUS 1000, AND KLIPSCH KG-4 SPEAKER SETS.

HERE ARE SOME LOCAL SPEAKERS FOR SALE. WHICH ARE BEST OF THESE FOR THEIR PRICES, AND ALSO WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST SPEAKER FOR UNDER $600 A PAIR? IF NONE OF THESE, THEN WHAT BRAND/MODEL? I WANT GOOD BASS WITH CLEAR HIGHS AND GREAT MIDS.

ALTEC STONEHENGE-1 $375 OMEGA 300 $25
JBL L100T $500 WALSH OHM 2 $125
POLK MONITOR 5B $75 McINTOSH ML-2C $500
ELECTROVOICE EV-7A $80 JBL ND-310 $280
KLIPSCH HERESY $375 AR 208 Ho $50
JBL N-38 $150 DYNACO A50 $250
ADVENT LEGACY II $90 B&W DM330i $135
KLH MODEL 105 $225 SCOTT 312DL $25
DCM TIMEWINDOWS 1A $200 POLK AUDIO MONITOR 10 $100
DCM KX-10 $100 CELESTION DITTON 250 $100
ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR4x $125

YOU CAN ALSO EMAIL ME AT fdwaller at yahoo dot com
 
Register to hide this ad
That's a large list, and it encompasses all sorts of different sounds appealing (and probably appalling) to many different tastes. And the prices don't strike me as great. But of that list, I would guess that the DCM TimeWindows would be pleasing, and they aren't too expensive. At 25 bucks, I'd be curious about the Omegas -- don't know anything about them, but for the price they might be a pleasant surprise.
 
ALTEC STONEHENGE-1 $375 OMEGA 300 $25
JBL L100T $500 WALSH OHM 2 $125
POLK MONITOR 5B $75 McINTOSH ML-2C $500
ELECTROVOICE EV-7A $80 JBL ND-310 $280
KLIPSCH HERESY $375 AR 208 Ho $50
JBL N-38 $150 DYNACO A50 $250
ADVENT LEGACY II $90 B&W DM330i $135
KLH MODEL 105 $225 SCOTT 312DL $25
DCM TIMEWINDOWS 1A $200 POLK AUDIO MONITOR 10 $100
DCM KX-10 $100 CELESTION DITTON 250 $100
ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR4x $125

Lots of great stuff here.

AI'd love the WALSH OHM 2 for $125- but this is a unique sound- a "360" presentation that is great for movies, piano, acoustic guitar, classical, but can sound odd with rock and produced albums. Good bass. Good price.

The POLK MONITOR 5B at $75 is a bit lacking compared to the models next in line- the 7 and 10- I'd say go for the POLK AUDIO MONITOR 10 at $100, especially if it's the Peerless tweeter. Plenty of bass. Fair to good price.

DYNACO A50 at $250 is a collectible speaker and is a nice one- tweeters and woofers are excellent sounding. I imagine great bass, if anything like the Dynaco A-25. Maybe a bit overpriced?

ADVENT LEGACY II for $90 is a nice speaker. I'd prefer the Maestro in this lineup, however.

The B&W DM330i at $135- I'm not familiar wth this exact model, but am growing fonder of the B&W offerings.

DCM TIMEWINDOWS 1A at $200 are a great, open-sounding speaker. Really delivers presence and atmosphere to the listening room, but might not be bass rich enough for your tastes. Fair price.

The DCM KX-10 is a later model DCM, and not one I'd personally persue as it is from the period when DCM made the move from selling at boutique stores to big box stores and is not their best effort.

The ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR4x at $125 is a nice sounding speaker with very good bass for it's size but might need some servicing to bring it up to spec. Best for a restorer. Fair price.

I'm not familiar with the rest.
 
ps- where are you located?

Betcha a local AKer would be happy to help you out- maybe listen to a few speakers he/she owns?
 
Was wondering about the altec stonehenge, klipsch heresy and klh model 105. How they and how do they sound? All three are supposed to be mint at their price.
 
Was wondering about the altec stonehenge, klh model 105, and klipsch heresey. All are supposed to be mint for the price. Which would be best?
Of the speakers i currently own, which would be best.
 
That's a pretty broad question in spite of your musical tastes.

I liken it to asking what is the best painting.

"Sonic beauty is in the ear of the beholder"
 
WHAT ARE THE BEST SPEAKERS TO USE FOR A COMBINATION OF MUSIC (CD AND VINYL) AND HOME THEATRE? I LISTEN TO MOSTLY ROCK, DANCE, COUNTRY MUSIC, SOMETIMES LIGHT JAZZ AND A LITTLE CLASSICAL.

I also listen to alot of Electronica and Rock music, the wife favours classical and some country. We find the HPM 100's are a very good answer. I use a pair with a Technics SU-V6X and another set as mains with a Sony STR-DA3100ES (no sub right now, I don't feel I need it). I find them to have excellent bass presentation and after recapping them, offering very good top end as well. I know that the HPM's aren't mentioned in your list but the JBL L100's are told to be comparable.
 
I doubt that there is anything special about the Altec Stonehenge I. BUT, if they were nice Stonehenge III's, they would be a good deal at $2000.00! Completely different speaker - 15" Duplex (coaxial).

I have Altec 19's, 14's, and JBL L100T's, so I would recommend the L100T's at $500.00, if they are pristine! Usually the veneer is messed up and the foam surrounds are brittle (gone) on the 2214H woofers. Say $250 to $300.00 in this condition. If you ever listen to good L100T's; I think you'll like them... They are not much like the original L100 Century!

Richard C.
 
I think you and I are walking down the same path. I have had several of the same speakers you listed.

You should just buy them all. "Joking"

Out of that list you have made, I would give the OHMs a try first. If you don't like them, flip them on e-bay and make a few bucks. They won't be great in the bass department, but will be able to reproduce sounds so accurately, they will sometimes scare you.

The DCM time windows would be a great choice for a good rock speaker, especially given your reciever. I think you would be pretty happy with them.

I don't think you will be able to find one speaker in your price range that will be good at all those type's of music.
 
attachment.php
 
Ender,

It will take awhile to look up the differences between the different JBL L100's.

Short story: L100 Century = west coast sound (mid bass hump)

L100T = much more balanced, accurate sound


Zilch,

At least make a comment, please! OR, is that a comment?

Richard C.
 
Last edited:
I would choose a neutral speaker, one that reproduces what is fed into it, without adding any significant "colouring" to the frequency spectrum. To that end, I would recommend the ADS L-810 or the Yamaha NS 690. Not that I'm biased, mind you, having owned both speakers.

By the way, are you related to Fats Waller? He's my hero.
 
Zilch,

At least make a comment, please! OR, is that a comment?
That is a comment.

The Mods would have to grant immunity for me to elucidate.

For starters, there's the L100 thing, then the HPM-100 thing, then the whole question thing (well several "whole question" things, actually,) then the "How many times" thing, then....

[Maybe I just post the AK "I'll NEVER sell" and "Worst speakers" lists again, even though they both need updating. ;) ]
 
I don't think you will be able to find one speaker in your price range that will be good at all those type's of music.

exactly why i think the source needs to be reconsidered, if the OP is not happy with what looked like an interesting pool of speakers to begin with.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom