• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are the best vintage linear tracking turntables?

While I'm still waiting for a full size tracker that'll take regular carts, I feel obligated to lodge a vote for the sl-7. I changed the arm belt 5 years ago, and it's been old faithful ever since. Can't play warped records, but I can up the vtf and use a brushed shure on it!

It may not have the finesse of the thorens or even the dual, but it puts out such a consistent sound I often forget I'm playing a record. Other tables I must fiddle with, but this starts and ends clearly.

Plus, lid mounted linear tables are IMHO the safest to present for inexperienced others to use. No way to scratch the record or launch a stylus! I've a pioneer I've given away 3 times, and taken back in trade when they decided to upgrade to a more tinker friendly setup.
 
It may not have the finesse of the thorens or even the dual, but it puts out such a consistent sound I often forget I'm playing a record. Other tables I must fiddle with, but this starts and ends clearly.
Who cares?! - there's nothing beyond you being happy with it, regardless of what anybody has to say.

Plus, lid mounted linear tables are IMHO the safest to present for inexperienced others to use. No way to scratch the record or launch a stylus!
While playing....does the arm lift, if you accidentaly bump the turntable?

As for Schlumberger...not only a TT:

 
Who cares?! - there's nothing beyond you being happy with it, regardless of what anybody has to say.


While playing....does the arm lift, if you accidentaly bump the turntable?

As for Schlumberger...not only a TT:

I couldn't agree more. If you like it, then it's an excellent table for you.

Bumping it results in a skip, but you can't get at the arm to scratch the record with it. I think you'd need to bump it from below to get it to lift much.
 
Over the years, I've had several tangential trackers. There were: 3 Pioneer PLL 1000s (1 for sale), a Sony PSX800 - sorry to have sold it, 2 clunky Revox B 790s, 1 B&O (what a joke), 1 HK Rabco ST8 tinker toy, 1 from Germany that was so badly designed that it is unmentioned and a Yamaha PX2.
IMHO, this one is the best, a PX3.
View attachment 3005538
Is your Pl-L1000 still for sale? I'm not too far away and was looking for one.
 
When I switched from my Sony PS-X60 (a very underrated beautifully made workhorse) to Sony Biotracers, I never scratched a record again. When I went back to my PS-X60 for fun last month, I scratched three records and the IGD was too much over the non-IGD of the Biotracer (and I'm sure I could tweak it right but I don't like to spend hours trying to get multiple TT parts working in some mystery sync just to not hear gravel at the end of the record). I don't miss that at all. And I'll put up my Sony PSX800 against multiple pivot TTs. The sound is spectacular and the ease of changing cartridges can't be underestimated.
 
I still own my first "real" turntable, a Maplenoll Athena. My god that thing was fiddly! It has all of the upgrades of the time and, of course, there are a million other upgrades/mods that can be made to the table, ET-1 arm, and air supply (no 70's music jokes please:rflmao:).
One of these days, I am going to pull it off the storage shelf and bring her back to life.

Dan
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9623.jpeg
    IMG_9623.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9623.jpeg
    IMG_9623.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 24
when it comes to playing records that are warped in any degree from hardly noticeable to severely warped I have to say the 4000 and 8000 are the best with Revox coming in second. The short arm and very light weight cartridges of the B&O make a great combination. I prefer the sound quality of the Revox where you can change cartridges but it can't quite handle warped records as well as the B&O. Why would that be important to me as I normally trash pre-owned warped records with out a second thought.

Way back in the late 70's I found a historic collection of the March as performed by the US Navy band at the library. Its quite an extensive collection featuring compositions from all over the world/ I would check out one record at a time then dub it and return it. Well some records my SME and Stantons could not track and neither could my Rabco with Shure or Ortofon cartridgers. So I would take my professional Ampex to work with me and fire up a 4002 feeding a Mcintosh C-28 and later a C-29 feeding my AG-500-2/4 and dub the warped records. I would start early in the morning on my day off and would finish by the time the first retail customers would show. Some times I would stay after opening at our VP's request to give demos on why we sold B&O 4000 and 8000 series tables. We were successful at least 75% of the time. They even out performed the Revox tables. But we never showed that to people. Mitsubishi and Yamaha couldn't compete, though some of the Technics came close but like the Revox tables never got the cigar. Why didn't I buy a B&O table. maintance in a dry sandy west Texas climate for one and the I just didn't quite like the sound of the cartridge. I would have to use a 3BX and a program equalizer when playing back the tapes or eventually dubbing the tapes to CD, which I still have and enjoy. Th B&O with rim drive also had lower W&F and rumble than my Belt driven suspended Thorens models.

By the way after all that dialog I still toss warped records if I can't dub them on my Mark Levinson/VPI Dragon with the periphery ring and center weight. IMG_2510.jpegIMG_5056 2.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Resurrecting this old thread in hopes some of the LT regulars will respond. I participated in this and own a few LT’s myself, and I prefer my LT-30s, overall, but recently discovered an interesting issue with my two Revox B791s. (All my TTs have been serviced, recapped, belted whatever has been needed)

For the few warped records I actually play, the B791s are excellent with the LT-30s practically indistinguishable, mainly because, I feel, both B791s have a brush as part of their carts, ( though on each I have upgraded the actual stylus to a Jico SAS for the V15V, and HE for the TXE-SR) which definitely assists in warp tracking. The LT-30s are definitely quieter.

The issue that came up was on an otherwise excellent Feels So Good LP, one of the few of my original albums I didn’t sell when CDs came out, bought by me, when they came out in the 70s, and treated with Soundgard. A very quiet pressing, with excellent dynamics superb depth. BUT, on one side, the stamper pressing is 2-3mm off center. The hole is perfect and the other side is centered.

Played on my other TTs there is no problems whatsoever besides what would be an added W&F component of course, though I don’t hear it, possibly because all mine are DD. But on both the B791s, every revolution where the cart goes furthest towards the spindle and reverses there is a slight deep bass “thump”, inaudible when any music is playing but easily heard in the silent grooves. It tracks perfectly, and I think this may be normal. I searched for a few other off center albums, and they all do it if the off center is above a certain amount. Played on my pivoted TTs, or my LT-30s, there is no such thump, though on some records, there is an increase in groove noise at the same reversal point.

I have measured the TP1 voltage on the B791s during playback of various albums and adjusted the gain pot to minimize the voltage swings.

TP1 measures the voltage that is generated by the opamp to determine the final voltage and direction of the advance motor for the arm. The SM states that ~ +/-1V is normal with standard groove pitch, and the voltage increases with increased pitch, requiring the TA to advance faster. At runout, the voltage peaks past 3V, which triggers EOR and TA return before the limit switch is hit. So I know they are tracking optimally, and smoothly. It is only during an above certain amount of reversal, that this happens. I suspect it is simply the adjustment of the cart direction during a brief acceleration, which is verified by the voltage increases seen in TP1 at that moment. For instance, no such thump is heard when the cart accelerates in the runout groove and then lifts. Only in reversal movement. I have stared at the motor during this reversal and can BARELY see it turning in response. Originally, when I first heard it, and before I adjusted the opamp gain pot, the movement was more pronounced. But in reality, I heard and experienced no tracking error difference. The adjustment definitely reduced visual motor rotation.

I would just like to have someone else with the same table try an out of center LP on theirs and see if they hear the same.

I should mention that like many slight issues such as this, it is basically only heard when using quality headphones. I can hear it on speakers, but only if I crank them up between songs, to a level louder than I would comfortably listen to.
 
Last edited:
As I own a collection of linear-tracking turntables, I’d like to share my preferences, here is my personal top 5.
1. Marantz SLT-12U – Fabulous sound, though it only truly shines when perfectly adjusted and rigorously leveled. This turntable does require a little more patience when changing cartridges, but there’s no reason not to pair it with a modern cartridge. In fact, it works remarkably well with Audio-Technica cartridges that have good compliance. However, it is very convenient to use thanks to its rotary control knob. It’s my favorite.
2. Sony PS-X800 – A technical marvel featuring the Biotracer tonearm and remarkable engineering, albeit of great complexity. The sound is very clean, but a little sterile with MM cartridges. It is best paired with a high-quality MC cartridge to unlock its full potential.
3. Technics SL-10 – Compact and reliable unit that delivers truly impressive performance for its size.
4. Harman Kardon Rabco ST-7 – Mechanically fascinating, it is also capable of excellent results once properly restored and adjusted.
5. Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 – A beautifully designed and highly elegant turntable, even if, in my view, it is overall slightly less compelling than the four preceding models. But it still sounds very good.
I’ve also linear-tracking models from Luxman, Pioneer and Revox, but I’ve never had the opportunity to own a Yamaha PX-1, PX-2 or PX-3. They may well be exceptional performers and maybe could perhaps deserve a place in my personal Top 5.
 
Last edited:
Is 1990 vintage?

IMG_8406.jpg
 
A beautiful turntable, certainly very technical and interesting. But when it comes to performance, is the price really justified by what it delivers? Its price is astronomical.
When it comes to units only made a bit more than 100 it becomes collector items not because it nessecarily are good but instead rare.
 
Yes, rare things are often expensive, but personally, I’m not just buying an object. I’m also buying what it allows me to feel.
And as the saying goes, “You get what you pay for.” But, with a high-end turntable, the price is not necessarily justified by specifications or measurable performance alone, but also by engineering, execution, refinement, and the listening experience. The real question is not simply whether it is expensive, but whether it brings something genuinely special.
 
Back
Top Bottom