• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are the perfect garage speakers?

Yeah, okay Analog Addict wins. What is that, the LeBron of garage speakers!?

There are some very interesting responses in this thread. But most were just people shouting out a particular speaker brand/model, without mentioning why they think it's the ultimate Garage Speaker. So I ignored all those posts. Had to. Don't have time to look up every speaker out there. :scratch2:

I liked Firby13's suggestion of the Bose 301 speaker. He mentioned why it would make a good garage speaker. And it sure seems to fit all the criteria.

It's medium sized.
Sounds best when mounted to a wall or a shelf.
Good midbass.

And most important of all, you can walk all over the garage and always feel like the sound is moving with you. Wide soundstage!
I doubt it's the most accurate speaker mentioned. But who has time to pay attention to the fine details when you're concentrating on making a straight cut. Or trying not to get oil in your eyes. Or a nail in your thumb. :D

The Minimus 7 sounds interesting also. But perhaps it's too small? What is that, a 5" speaker???? Does it know what bass is?

Lots of other good suggestions also. I myself will concentrate on finding a pair of 301's until I see something else more interesting.
 
My humble garage speakers are DCM TF-600's, currently driven with a Yamaha CR-1040. They sound pretty darn good in my garage, but you can't hear them in the next county. AA, you win, hands down :ntwrthy:.

Did someone say something about garage speakers?...

CIMG5894.jpg

This picture just kills me.
 
Of course he could jump start his car with his woofers

You got a point there, I can't hear my garage speakers in the next county, but I CAN still get my cars in there! :D
 
Another choice that would work would be a set of Drum speakers like the Zenith "Circle of sound" speakers. They are Cheap, chrome and vinyl 5 or 6" full range driver speakers that are omnidirectional and sound way better than they should. I have a set on my deck that I just throw a set of taping buckets over to keep dry when I'm not out there. You could get 4 and wire the two on each channel in series. If I remember correctly there is not even a cap for a crossover. They shouldn't run you more than $5 or $10 a pair.
Link Below ..

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193441

Steve
 
A fave subject of mine! My garage is my domain in the summer and our summers are short so I like to enjoy it when I can. This year I've built some sturdy wall mounts, or shelves out of scrap wood and placed my Sony SS-G3 speakers on them. They were bought used about 30 years ago. I had replaced one woofer at that time and the tweeters with some non Sony types. They're a 3 way system with 10" woofer in sealed cabinets. More than enough volume and bass...perfect for the garage!

I run them with a NAD 705 receiver that's only an amp now since the tuner section causes problems. Pulled all the plugs on the tuner board and all is well, makes a nice amp with a remote control too. Music comes from a computer set up with WinXP performance version and a few 1000 MP3's. These have all been volume balanced to the same level by the MP3 Gain software (free). Of course set B are the speakers mounted under the eaves above the deck outside :)
 
Lafayette

How about a small Lafayette system with those Criterion Speakers. A Denon Cassette player alongside?
 
Well Analog addict I`m not but my little pair of BIC V62`s seem to work just fine in my three car garage and across the street as well. Powered by a pioneer sa-6500II and an old Radio Shack tuner.
 
right now..dynaco a 35s they were free (actually a gift), rethinking that these days though, was given a pair of braun in concert 90s that i personally never had heard of, or seen, much less thought of, but...phewph they def do the job, they sat a little too close to the electric heat so the vinyl stuff is burned on one side and peeling off, so reckon a little overspray cant hurt the cabs much
 
In my garage, which currently doesn't have a system because the Sony amp there died, I don't have much room, so the Rat Shack Minimus speakers were my choice. My garage is unheated, but now that it's warming up., I'll start hunting around for a system, preferably free or close to it.
 
Until I got together a crew to help me get them in the basement, in my garage I had a pair of the 62" tall Jensen-design backloaded horn cabs with 15" drivers. That's 30 cu feet per side.
 
My garage speakers are usually sympathy speakers that I just couldn't pass up at the thrift, but really not worth making my mains or flipping. Evenually I find someone to give them to and I get more.. Currently my free, found on curb, Bose Interaudio horn-loaded franken speaker project connected to a Pioneer SX 737 reciever.
 
Last edited:
My Marantz Imperial 7's with Bose 301's stacked on top of them, powered by my Marantz 2215B. It rocks the whole block!:D
 
Unfortunately, I have a carport.... :( But! I do have a system in my workshop consisting of a pair of JBL 62t's paired with an h/k 330c and a really old Kenwood single cd player. The receiver is also used to test speakers once they are finished and it sounds good with speakers that are way bigger than the JBL's *like some realistic mach ones*. One day I will have a garage....one day...
 
Back
Top Bottom