• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

well I don't really get classical hemispherical migraines, I get cluster headaches/ice pick migraines and chronic daily headache, at least that's what they were calling it 10 years ago when I last went to a specialist, it runs in my family. Cluster headaches just sort of hit when ever they feel like it and are like 6-7 out of 10, ice pick migraines feel like a molten bead of iron explodes in your brain, its pretty rough, it can happen a few times an hour once it starts and its a 15 out of 10 pain wise, I am used to it now but its still rough, it triggers an adrenaline dump if its bad because it feels like you got shot in the head, luckily they have been getting fewer and farther between since they started in my 20's. And about music, luckily I am not light or sound sensitive when it comes to my headaches, my dad got them bad when I was younger and he had to be in a dark room for days at a time sometimes. glad i missed that ****.
I used to be plagued with migraines , they called them optical migraines, my vision gets a kaleidoscope effect around the peripheral giving a weird type tunnel vision for a half hour to an hour , then my vision clears and the massive pain begins , made me nauseous often times. I had a heart attack and they put a stint in, after that I still get the optical effect from time to time but the following migraine has since stopped.

Can't imagine going through what you must.
 
So what I have are the first two H3aa monoblocks ever produced. 1a and 1b. Initialed by Futterman. They came from estate of his apprentice. Crazy story — said apprentice, Doug Casara, was in a motorcycle accident. Quadriplegic in his 20s. Stayed active in the NYC audio scene by directing others where to do what.
Care to share some nice pictures?
pp0987.jpeg

PS the one I listened to was the stereo version(H3?)
 
Last edited:
I used to be plagued with migraines , they called them optical migraines, my vision gets a kaleidoscope effect around the peripheral giving a weird type tunnel vision for a half hour to an hour , then my vision clears and the massive pain begins , made me nauseous often times. I had a heart attack and they put a stint in, after that I still get the optical effect from time to time but the following migraine has since stopped.

Can't imagine going through what you must.
Yo that's me!! Not the heart attack. But you described my migraines. Now I get the kaleidoscope effect -- the techical term is "aura" -- but often without the pain but yes with all the other weird syptims like nausea.
 
I used to be plagued with migraines , they called them optical migraines, my vision gets a kaleidoscope effect around the peripheral giving a weird type tunnel vision for a half hour to an hour , then my vision clears and the massive pain begins , made me nauseous often times. I had a heart attack and they put a stint in, after that I still get the optical effect from time to time but the following migraine has since stopped.

Can't imagine going through what you must.
I used to get weird pin pricks of light that would blossom into a weird light pattern like the size of a plate held at arms length, but nothing like the peripheral weirdness so many other people get, was it like shifting colors or just movement? glad they cleared up for you!
 
I used to get weird pin pricks of light that would blossom into a weird light pattern like the size of a plate held at arms length, but nothing like the peripheral weirdness so many other people get, was it like shifting colors or just movement? glad they cleared up for you!
Kinda a color pattern that twinkles somewhat with a slow flowing / floating motion and it can move around some , increase and decrease in intensity and size , kaleidoscope is my best description. That would be my warning a migraine was coming , it wasn't till my vision cleared that massive pain set in , occasionally it wouldn't , when it did I took 2 alieve's found a dark room and slept it off. Afterwards , 2 ~ 3 hours if I leaned or bent over I could feel pressure in my head mild pain, migraine hang over I called it.
 
Those look cool, how do they sound?
Dunno yet. Still whipping them into shape. A bit of a "buy first research later" kind a moment. Just tonight I straightened out the voltages on one channel. Next onto the second. Part of the issue is the tubes shoyld really be closely matched and 6LF6s have gone the way of the dodo. Some irony: Futterman chose them because they were manufactured in the tens of millions a year and were a dime a dozen. So obviously matching would be easy, Now they're unobotanium.
 
Kinda a color pattern that twinkles somewhat with a slow flowing / floating motion and it can move around some , increase and decrease in intensity and size , kaleidoscope is my best description. That would be my warning a migraine was coming , it wasn't till my vision cleared that massive pain set in , occasionally it wouldn't , when it did I took 2 alieve's found a dark room and slept it off. Afterwards , 2 ~ 3 hours if I leaned or bent over I could feel pressure in my head mild pain, migraine hang over I called it.
I think of it like a prism. As if there were a prism inserted, slashing or swooping (depending on the episode) across the edges of your vision.
 
Last edited:
Kinda a color pattern that twinkles somewhat with a slow flowing / floating motion and it can move around some , increase and decrease in intensity and size , kaleidoscope is my best description. That would be my warning a migraine was coming , it wasn't till my vision cleared that massive pain set in , occasionally it wouldn't , when it did I took 2 alieve's found a dark room and slept it off. Afterwards , 2 ~ 3 hours if I leaned or bent over I could feel pressure in my head mild pain, migraine hang over I called it.
that sucks, my sister used to get a blurriness in her peripheral vision that signaled a migraine was coming on, I remember going to a few eye specialists when my weird color blooms started because seeing weird colors in your direct field of view is a sign of a detached retina, and none of the doctors was sure what was going on, eventually a migraine specialist said its probably just your headaches, I remember thinking thanks bud, really clears it up :biggrin:
 
Dunno yet. Still whipping them into shape. A bit of a "buy first research later" kind a moment. Just tonight I straightened out the voltages on one channel. Next onto the second. Part of the issue is the tubes shoyld really be closely matched and 6LF6s have gone the way of the dodo. Some irony: Futterman chose them because they were manufactured in the tens of millions a year and were a dime a dozen. So obviously matching would be easy, Now they're unobotanium.

I don’t know that tube type, I though it was a typo and was 6F6 but I googled it and nope just a different tube type.

IMG_2435.jpeg

I’ve been doing some minor work on some amps myself. I’ve got a set of late 40s Stromberg Carlson AR-37s integrated amps that were pretty beat. I’ve gutted one completely and added new tube sockets and painted the output transformer as it was looking rough. Going to be converted to 6v6 power amps. Need to start the work on the 2nd one.
 
I think of it like a prism. As if there were a prism inserted, slashing or swooping (depending on the episode across the edges of your vision.
Yes thats probably more accurate, certainly how the colors appear , it was explained to me that blood vessels would constrict reducing flow to my eyes and when they opened back up is when it cleared and the headache set in.
 
Back
Top Bottom