• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are your favorite small system combinations?

What's the vintage of the EV ? Late 60's? Early 70's?

Never saw one of those antiques!;)
 
Those were nice little amps. The mark of a real collector though is to find the matching tuner and receivers.
 
For small, I'm waiting to get my hands on these. Seller still hasn't got back to me yet.
:(

They got some decent reviews when they first came out.
 
I am a little bit confused about this thread but...

... I'll take a shot at it :-)

Assuming the 'small systems' means physically small... how about this?

Speakers are DIY BR cabinets containing the amazing PartsExpress 269-469 4" full-range "69-cent wonder" (originally "95-cent wonders").
If you're not familar with these drivers take a look at:
http://www.ratch-h.com/pa-speaker.html

Amp is my gainclone-clone... more to the point simply Velleman's
K-4003 amp on a board, a power supply, and I/O in a plastic R/S box. To quote Velleman via PartsExpress. "This small amplifier is constructed around the TDA1521 IC, capable of delivering 2x15W RMS (4 ohm) or 2x10W RMS (8 ohm). "
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=320-212

I usually use a better CDP than the "COBY" shown in the photo! That's the one that was handy when I took the picture though. The Discman-style player should give some sense of scale.

This little system sounds quite good and does produce bass (believe it or not).
 
Here's a look inside the 'gainclone-clone' :-)
Obviously, the construction values do NOT reflect the Gainclone sensibility, but it was cheap and it sounds pretty good. I'm guessing, realistically, 10wpc into 8 ohms.
 
At the office, I use a KLH 52 (33w/ch in a relatively small package) with a pair of Advent/3s - very nice bass for the size.

BTW, I have an EV 1179 receiver - same size package as TA's 1144, but with a FM tuner (the dial replaces the strip of lights on the 1144). Supposedly 20w/ch. Have to try it out with my Minimus 26s or mebbe my tiny pair of Interaudios (2-ways with 6" woofers)....gimme some duct tape and batteries and I could have a hillbilly boom box! :D
 
Originally posted by JonTee
What is your favorite small (I'm talking real small, less than 15 wpc and tiny speakers) system with a big sound?

1) Almarro A205A integrated SET amplifier (5 watts per channel).

2) Audio Note AX-Two minimonitors.
 
Thought i would resurrect this forum.
Not sure whether thread starter meant small in power or physical size-but my combo comes close to fitting both criteria.

I am running a pair of AR 7 through a Marantz 2220B Receiver.These vintage AR's are about the size of a large shoebox,but they kick serious butt for their size.

The late Julian Hersch,that famous hi fi reviewer, loved these and had a pair set up in his testing laboratory for years- that to me is a pretty good recommendation for their worth.

And sound wonderful matched to this sweet sounding baby marantz.

Chris
 
Marantz 2220B connected to a pair of garage sale Epicure M10's, a $15 SA bought NAD 5220 CD, and a old Yamaha K960 cassette deck. Sweetest sound I've ever had in my office.
 
Bedroom

Sansui 5050
B-I-C VENTURI Formula 2 Speakers
(The $9.00 special)

Sony CDP-70 (1987) CD
Pioneer CT-W404R dual cassette Dolby B/C/HX Pro
JVC TD-W354 double cassette deck Dolby B/C/HX Pro
Zenith (SDI-Soundesign) AM-FM-Cassette recorder stereo clock radio (has AM bandwidth wide switch built into the "Stereo Wide" setting...no, not a mod, it was made that way)
Hallicrafters S-118 Mk II boatanchor

-----

Living room

Sony STR-D611 AM-FM A/V Receiver Dolby ProLogic, modded for wider AM bandwidth and AM stereo (1992)

Sony CDP-190 (1989) CD
TEAC W-450R double cassette Dolby B/C/HX Pro
Realistic (Technics I believe) LAB-390 direct drive TT (1982)
Yamaha S8M 3-ways (front, 1991 or 2)
1970's Sony air suspension speaker from old combo unit--center
Optimus XTS 25 speakers--rear

Hoffman StereoFi tube console--a work in progress!

Half a ton of wonderful tube sets and a harman/kardon 330B in the cellar awaiting a pair of speakers and a playmate for it and the 5050 in a DVD 5.1 audio system.
 
Last edited:
my small system

My small system is my computer system.

Yamaha A-450 (30w)
Yamaha T-760
Onkyo DX-150 cd
Design Accoustic D-55


System is hooked to SoundBlaster Live SC
with Monster IP400 cable.
 
Last edited:
Tiny office systems

Good idea for a thread.

I've had a few small systems over the years. My first was a modified Dyna SCA-35 with Paradigm Atom speakers. Nice. My wife has this combo in her study now.

Not long ago I was using a completely rebuilt and modified Japanese stereo SE 6AQ5 integrated (branded Olson), with NHT SuperZeros. I picked up at a garage sale a pair of KLH Model 911-Bs, and they are shielded so work fine next to my computer monitor. Now I have a Lafayette LR-300 SE 6BQ5 receiver hooked up to EV Georgian 400 corner speakers (my office is bigger now!).

Another small system I liked a lot was a pair of skinny transmission line speakers with a 4" FR speaker. The NorH bongo drum speakers are also cool for a small desktop system (if your desk is kinda deep).

I have become a big fan of the Tannoy dual concentric sound, and expect to pick up a pair of their small speakers for small system use. No painful tweeter, very balanced sound.

For me it's always a tube amp or receiver for a small system. For you Eico fans, I have an Eico stereo SE 6BQ5 reciever (model 2510, I think) that would be another cool choice. The HF-81 never did much for me, and I've owned a few.
 
I'm not sure if I'm in under the watts wire here or not, but I enjoy my sx-525 and AR4x combo.
 
I've got everybody beat, Silvertone 1-watt per channel 50C5 Class A amp, with Infinity RS10 speakers. I normally just hook my source directly to the amp like a CD or tuner. It's 1wpc is enough for close field listening, and plays loud enough where in my shop where I have to turn it down to talk. The soundstage on this is the most amazing thing. Not the most accurate as far as frequency response but the soundstage makes up for it.
 
My system

I don't know if this qualifies as a small system, but here goes: I have an Aiwa NSX-A888 bookshelf system, 4x50wpc (200 watts total) with three-way speakers, each containing a powered subwoofer with the other two for lows and highs, respectively. The speaker enclosures, according to the explanation and a diagram in the system's instruction manual, are designed to compensate for the small diameter of the speakers--and that they do, in spades. Am listening to it as I write this (the input source at the moment is my cable box, connected to the stereo by means of a Radio Shack monster cable [with the S-video input unused as I do not have digital TV--yet], set on one of the digital music channels) and the sound, considering the size of the speakers, is great. Granted, this system is not one of the big, well-known brands such as most of you guys have, but what can I say, other than it works for me.

Small, great sound. I've had the system as long as I've been here (almost five years), and haven't had one bit of trouble with it. The only modification I've made so far has been to elevate the speakers on two Tech-Craft 21" stands, which made all the difference in the sound. How I ever got along without them (as I did the first four years I was here--the speakers sat flat on the floor of my apartment, at either side of my desk) I may never know.

All of which makes me wonder why Aiwa was never a really big name in audio in this country (though their audio gear is extremely popular in Japan), :dunno: but that's a question for another thread.

Kind regards,
 
Originally posted by DanTana
I've got everybody beat, Silvertone 1-watt per channel 50C5 Class A amp, with Infinity RS10 speakers.

I made something smaller still. I built a parallel feed single-tube (per channel) WE 417A amp with lead-acid battery bias. Max output was maybe 600 milliwatts. I'd probably be using it now but can't get it back from a guy in Europe.

For low power it was great. Excellent imaging and focus, as good as I ever experienced on my home system. It proved to me what could be achieved by very close matching and a supersimple circuit. Of course it got there with the shortcut of ultralow power, but still... To get there and have 20+ watts is not trivial.
 
My bedroom system is a Pioneer SX-434 and RatShack Minimus 7's. Small, cheap, and most definitely not TOTL...
 
Office rig at work:

Norh 3.0
Marantz 1040
Dynaco FM3 Tuna
Crown Portable CDP

Small, sounds great in the near-field at the desk.

Cheers,
Russ
 
Back
Top Bottom