• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are your favorite small system combinations?

Gonna necro this thread rather than make a new one:

My current favorite small combo is a Sansui 551 with a pair of Realistic Solo 2s. To be fair, I replaced the drivers in the Solo 2s with Visaton FR10HM-8s, which I guess is a car speaker replacement. It has a whizzer cone like the original Realistic driver (Korean manufacture) -- the surrounds started separating from the cones, so rather than fix, I replaced.

They were suppose to be my little test speakers. I started using them on the 551 when I was recapping it, and I'm taken aback by how not shitty they sound together. Especially with the loudness button engaged.

Granted, they aren't going to reproduce a full orchestra or heavy metal band -- those mid range drivers get overwhelmed easily -- but for easy listening, drum-guitar-piano-vocal stuff, they sound better than they have any business sounding.

This is all very subjective of course, but I smirk in disbelief when I pair those two together.
 
Small system components. M&K 2.1 systems, small Boston, small AR 4x for example, Smaller B&O 3702 or S series, Nakamichi made some great small systems. I used NAD combo players with 45 watts per channel. Though a Hersey is not small by some standards placed in a corner up against the ceiling gave fantastic results with the NAD. They also work great as rear channels for HT systems. With the right subs 5 of them made a great 5.2 HT system for homes.
 
Yeah, Kenny, the AF-4 has tuned out to be "pleasant surprise". Here is another: a Magnavox 6v6 stereo amp with 10 wpc thru a pair of Mirage 460's or just about any decent speaker. Justs sounds good:dunno: . I may have made a mistake by selling that one.

For the solid state side S-7100 receiver (18 wpc) and small EPI's sound pretty decent.

Didn't Sansui have a mighty mite integrated? Seems like I read somewhere about one with 12 wpc.

Jon:)
Had the Sherwood 7100 a with cube epi speakers and it was a very pleasant non fatiguing experience ! Sorry I sold them , but if I kept everyone I liked I wouldn’t have room to breath ! Lol
 
I have various tube amplifiers and preamps ive built setup on shel ing on each side of my bench. All are small systems. Only one sys5em has a tur table and CDP connected to it. I stream to the rest. I have two setups that get used the most.
One is an old Magnavox 10wpc tube amp pulled from a console with a modified power supply with SS rectification. It has 4 ohm only taps on the output transformers so I have a pair of 4 ohm ADS L570/2 speakers connected to it. The amp has no preamp connected, just a volume control added to the amp. I stream Pandora through it. It sounds very nice.
The second small system that gets used a lot is a passive preamp with 4 inputs and an added SS phono stage I built to match a 5.5wpc tube amp I had built a few years ago. It's connected to a pair of Dyton BR-1 speakwr kits with an Or it Custom turntable, a Denon CDP I hooked up to it and a patch cable to use with an old smart phone to stream. Both little systems sound really good.
 

Attachments

  • 20221223_110906.jpg
    20221223_110906.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230619_105117.jpg
    20230619_105117.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230512_100741.jpg
    20230512_100741.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230503_111846.jpg
    20230503_111846.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom