• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What are your favorite vintage speakers?

My Best Speakers, W/Tubes

My ratings are of vintage speakers I own and have used.

1. Electrovoice Marquis - Just got these last week. they are from 1957 and very efficient. sp12b woofs, t-25A horns and t-35 tweets. Best I've ever heard. Have listened using these tube amps. Bell Pacemaker, Fisher 400 and SherwoodS-5000 II. Totally awesome. I read somewhere that someone is using these with a 45 tube amp at 1 wpc. I don't know about that, but they must be 104 or 105 db.

2. Jensen speakers in cabinet from 1958 or 59. These are a close second. Data sheet on back says all you need is 10wpc to fill the room.

3. Altecs with custom cabs made on Hamtramck, MI. 1959. 2 ways with a 13" multicell horns and a 15" drivers. Excellent but not very far behind,

4. Electrovoice Esquires smaller than the Marquis but Oh My, full range and efficient. these are 8 ohms where the top 3 are 16 ohms.
 
My Best W/SS Amps

1. AR3a's Traded these to Ross
2. Infinity QB's
3. Dynaco A-25's
4. Theil 02
5. Scott S-15's
6. Infinity Monitor Jrs.
7. JBL J-350
8. EPI - 100
 
pocketchange said:
I've got an old set of EV Patrician 800s. Ain't nothing like a set of 18s" in a
5 plus ft. tall 4 ft wide folded horn setup with an old set of DynaCo's for juice.

I spent many happy hours building them in the late 50s. If I'm not mistaken,
the ballpark in Chicago had 10 or so of these monsters for PA. (it did awhile back)

Designed by Paul (his highness) before he went into business.

Plugged into a B3 via a Lesley and you are Jimmy Smith with a smile.

Nice, and may Jimmy Smith rest in peace.
 
best sounding I've owned

Dynaco A-25
Advent Loudspeaker
Pioneer HPM-100
ESS AMT1
IMF TLS 50
Teledyne Acoustic Research AR9 :D
 
For floor standing I like my Altec Valencia's. The Altecs are very efficient and sound good with any type of music I listen to. Bookshelf speakers, there are quite a few good ones. Of the ones I have I like the KLH 17's the best so far.
 
Hi all,

Well...the speakers that have left the greatest sonic impression on me (from years past) are :

KLIPSCH...such as the HERESYS
MAGNEPAN...such as the MG 1
ESS AMT 1 B's
KEF 105's
KEF 101's w/ AUDIO PRO sub
and so many others, I can't recall.

Now...speakers I currently own...PIONEER HPM 100's and JBL 4311B's
I HIGHLY recommend! Also...juddging from the FANTASTIC sound of my recent GOODWILL find DYNACO A-10's...I would keep an eye open for the aforemention A-25 or A-50's.

Regards,

SixCats!
 
I like my JBL L65 Jubals running with the Sansui Au9900. The L100's sound good with a Pioneer SX-1250. Large Advents are hard to beat for all around listening. But my favorites right now are my Philips motional feedback speakers. I would have to look at the model numbers, but they sound huge!
 
I've found several Klipsch that I like, but the Norman Labs 431 and Model 10 are my absolute favorites.
 
I've been very happy with the JBL L-100's I bought last year. I also picked up a pair of Advent/1's, which, for the limited listening I've done, sound very neutral and balanced. I have to throw in a vote for my ElectroVoice LT-12's in enclosures built to EV plans as well. They have a very unforced sound and great bass response. Too bad they're so darn big!
 
L-300,Hpm-100,L-110,L-65 But my most recent eyeopener is a pair of Advent Ones in the back master bedroom hooked to a Hitachi HMA-8500.They are awesome!,when the wife comments on the sound its really good or something is wrong.
 
You guys who like those Advent/1s should check out the Large Advents too! The /1s are slightly smaller cabs than the Large and replaced the Small Advent in the lineup.

It's really hard to go wrong though with any of the older, vintage Advents though. I'll be stacking a set at the AK Fest, which should be real interesting.
 
Vintage speakers? Polk Monitor 10A with the Peerless tweeter and the Spendor BC-1; both of which I currently own and cherish. :thmbsp:
 
My old cerwin vega D-8's, but if i listened to a bunch of different models I would problably have a better opinion.

I also have an old pair of bose 301 series 2, that were actually decent. (I thought they were awesome, but I didnt know any better,)

I also bought a pair of 601 series IV recently, I didnt know any better, got rid of them for 3 and a quarter, and bought a set of vandersteen 2Ci's for $300. I scored on that one, finally

I guess I am not stupid, it just takes a while,
 
early 901's in a big room

my my my I loved that sound with a 120watt Sansui.

i have just heard a pair of Vandersteens today, they are pretty good too.
 
Cerwin Vega made some really nice stuff for rock n roll in the late 70's, early 80's.

Picked up some large Advents, circa 1974, for 45 bucks at GW. They sound pretty darn good. Not as good as the Marantz Imperial 6's, but quite good.
 
Back
Top Bottom