• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What car did you lust after as a teenager?

I was a 914 2.0 owner for 25 yrs. Actually owned two -a '76 and my old friend '73 that rusted away. 36mpg at 70mph all day. I bought the '76 with a credit card!
My Ghia will do 70/35mpg of fun all day long. Corner like it is on rails with a set of good of Michelin XZX165R15's.

I always liked the 914's just a bit too small for me.

​

 
My Ghia will do 70/35mpg of fun all day long. Corner like it is on rails with a set of good of Michelin XZX165R15's.

I always liked the 914's just a bit too small for me.

​

I've got a special spot in my heart for the Ghia's. The older brother (sister?) of the 914.
I was partial to Pirelli tires. They were sacrificial and cheap! A pair of Marchal IQ's and a cruise missile after dark.
I was 6'1 170lb and never had a problem with it. It was a blast to drive and a joy to go to the drive-in with the top off. -You could sit on the targa!
My advice is to dry-wash it and keep it away from rain. These are spot-welded sheet steel and water will penetrate and rust them from the inside out.
 
When I was a teenager a good used example of either of these could be bought for under $5000. Unfortunately I didn't have $5000.

Original A.C.Cobra 289.
48e0bbd681d5d78272027aa07687594223f90ed1.jpg

4.5 Liter Blower Bentley
Blower_Bentley_Profile.jpeg
 
Always wanted a Jaguar XKE rag top. Beautiful lines on that English beauty. Got a ride in one of the 6 cylinder models which purred like a the cat she was named after. Closest I got was an 87' XJS with the 5.3 v12 which sounded like a quiet turbine. Designed for the autobon , the faster you go the closer it hugs the road. These were rated at 156mph out of the factory. The fastest I ran in it was 110 mph and you felt like you were doing 60mph. Shortly after my speed run, I found one of my tires had a pretty good cut in it. It was probably my favorite. car tough I had a lot of fun in my first 74' triumph tr6. With the Michelin redwalls it was a blast to drive on winding roads. I enjoyed it on the local mountian road with a number of switchbacks. You could slide the back end around the corners and those redwalls would always grab at just right time to keep you speed and momentum up the road. I never felt out of control , the tires were a perfect match for that 74 English roadster. Put a Ford Fiesta? alternator on those and no more Lucas, prince of darkness syndrome.
 
It's not a car, but when I was riding around in the desert on my Hodaka, I lusted for the Husky 250. They were so cool-looking in those days.

d04e9bdc-a16b-4c9c-a9c9-cbc7fdd796fb.jpg


 
When I was in my late teens one of our friends had a super charged XA Falcon.

He offered to let me drive it and I was too nervous to take him up on it, you could not take off in it without spinning the 10"wide tyres.
Edit: thinking back the tyres were wider then 10 on the rear, I recall the 351 engine was blue printed and balanced as they used to say.
 
Last edited:
I always thought they started with a K not a C. Thanks for the link.
That would be Keystone wheels, more of an Iron Cross shaped spoke. Somewhere along the way Cragar acquired the rights to and now makes them too. I think they were a popular alternative to the ubiquitous S/S Cragars for non-Chevy cars. They look(ed) great on lowered ‘65 Rivies
1744297596012.png
 
Last edited:
I was driving to Home Depot on Saturday and saw this 1969 Roadrunner. I had to pull over and check it out. Did this bring back memories. I was fourteen in 1969 and really loved this year of Roadrunner. My all time favorite car.
That's a 1963 Olds 98 convertible behind the 'runner.

I was really lucky. My dad liked 2-seater sports cars. Got to drive MGB, Alpha Romeo, and Fiat Spyder to school after dropping him off at the train station. Loved the Fiat especially. If the weather was above freezing, the top was down. Now, like the comfort and roominess of sedans. But I loved that Fiat and did all sorts of work to it, both engine and mechanical. Only one I lusted after and didn't get to drive was the TR-6.
 
My Dad put Cragar SS wheels on his old Ranchero. The envy of the block! :thumbsup:

s-l1600.webp
My dad’s car he had as a teenager was a 1941 caddilac ! And that started his love of the brand . He’s had most of the 60s - 70s some in the 90s and early to mid 2000s ! Recently in the last 2 yrs he picked up another 63 caddilac park ave and a 1941 sixty series . When he passed my brother source an O.E.M Caddilac crest and emblem and put it on his casket it looked cool , he wood have been happy having it there !
 
Back
Top Bottom