• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What combination of gear and listening space mods finally let you remove EQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last thing I'm going to do is complain about a specific recording or mastering when in fact it really can be on my end that it sounds bad.

Not all recordings are created equally my friend. There are differences in volume through out the frequency scale on all mediums. One engineer to another, somewhat depending on their opinion on how it should sound. So all the differing influences come to you. Mostly are acceptable. There are occasional times when one may want to dampen or increase a given frequency depending on what they are hearing.

EQ,s add gain. 8-12 DB in most cases. Some do a better job then others. Our volume controls, reign in the gain, dampening power across all frequencies.
During playback frequencies can affect each other. Volume enhances this and a EQ can help by tamping/toning frequencies down or boosting them. To listening pleasure. I love it when a record plays great without it but when it doesn't I find it easier to add a EQ and make changes.

I have two EQ, now. One on this HK Pre so I no longer use the Technics electronic EQ SH GE70, I have been using for years.
Today, using the same system. Same room, sounds better when needed.
 
Not all recordings are created equally my friend. There are differences in volume through out the frequency scale on all mediums. One engineer to another, somewhat depending on their opinion on how it should sound. So all the differing influences come to you. Mostly are acceptable. There are occasional times when one may want to dampen or increase a given frequency depending on what they are hearing.

EQ,s add gain. 8-12 DB in most cases. Some do a better job then others. Our volume controls, reign in the gain, dampening power across all frequencies.
During playback frequencies can affect each other. Volume enhances this and a EQ can help by tamping/toning frequencies down or boosting them. To listening pleasure. I love it when a record plays great without it but when it doesn't I find it easier to add a EQ and make changes.

I have two EQ, now. One on this HK Pre so I no longer use the Technics electronic EQ SH GE70, I have been using for years.
Today, using the same system. Same room, sounds better when needed.

How does it help to get certain frequencies wet lol?

That aside.

Have you looked at 4-2-7's setup? If the SQ is lacking due to his equipment I can't see where, and a bad recording is still a bad recording. Kind of like an 80yr old women that looks 100, puts on make up and thinks she looks 40, it's still what it is.

When the equipment is at a certain level it's just not needed. If the music has warts the equipment hides then the equipment isn't accurate. If an EQ is put in line to hide the warts it's tantamount to having the inferior equipment that wasn't good enough to reveal said warts.
 
Not all recordings are created equally my friend.
Nor are all the masterings of that recording, but then I never said either of them where.

One engineer to another, somewhat depending on their opinion on how it should sound.
The same with the listener, so it equals out as most people will find a mastering of a title they like and it works with their system and space.

There are occasional times when one may want to dampen or increase a given frequency depending on what they are hearing.

EQ,s add gain. 8-12 DB in most cases. Some do a better job then others. Our volume controls, reign in the gain, dampening power across all frequencies.
During playback frequencies can affect each other. Volume enhances this and a EQ can help by tamping/toning frequencies down or boosting them. To listening pleasure. I love it when a record plays great without it but when it doesn't I find it easier to add a EQ and make changes.

I have two EQ, now. One on this HK Pre so I no longer use the Technics electronic EQ SH GE70, I have been using for years.
Today, using the same system. Same room, sounds better when needed.
But what does all this have to do with the topic of this thread?
"What combination of gear and listening space mods finally let you remove EQ"
You can go back and read the OP but all your post in this thread are an argument for using an EQ and nothing to do with the topic. I think they call that thread crapping, derailing threads, switching the topic to suit your opinion and create contention and arguments. I would think if you want to talk about the benefits of using a EQ you would start your own thread, unless the whole point in posting here is really to create contention and arguments.
 
REW software helped me position my speakers and sub and sound absorbing panels optimally in the room but I still need PEQ to tame the subwoofer room modes...kinda think that’s almost necessary. I have never used and will never use EQ on the main speakers...it just takes too much away.
 
REW software helped me position my speakers and sub and sound absorbing panels optimally in the room but I still need PEQ to tame the subwoofer room modes...kinda think that’s almost necessary. I have never used and will never use EQ on the main speakers...it just takes too much away.
I don't understand how you can use a PEQ and then say you will never use one. IME a properly adjusted PEQ only makes the sound better.
 
I don't understand how you can use a PEQ and then say you will never use one. IME a properly adjusted PEQ only makes the sound better.

The PEQ only EQ’s the subwoofer, my preamp has 2 outputs so one output goes to the subwoofer EQ and the other output goes to the tube amp for the main speakers...I tried using the main speakers after the subwoofer crossover but the loss in air and detail retrieval was not acceptable. Inserting an EQ definitely degrades audio quality, without a doubt.
 
How does it help to get certain frequencies wet lol?

Cute. What word would you have chosen? Tampen?

Have you looked at 4-2-7's setup?
Yes. Great to be able to do it.

Kind of like an 80yr old women that looks 100, puts on make up and thinks she looks 40

The equalizer.
When the equipment is at a certain level it's just not needed.

lets get one thing straight. All the equipment is doing is reproducing the input as best it can. It cannot improve it in any way just because it is better unless there is junk cheapo equipment involved. That is not what I am talking about. Album to album I can prove this. It's easy. Talking 33 1/3 12 records. Both look fine under a light. One reproduces whatever frequencies with no noticeable distortion of any kind. The second may crackle a little during certain parts however slight but it does. Its on the medium. If the equip is reproducing faithfully (Fidelity) you will hear the same thing if I brought the records. This should not be necessary . Anyone whoever they may be who can say records Fidelity to the master (considering it is true fidelity) and the music produced had zero faults, is on cloud nine.
How does it help to get certain frequencies wet lol?

That aside.

Have you looked at 4-2-7's setup? If the SQ is lacking due to his equipment I can't see where, and a bad recording is still a bad recording. Kind of like an 80yr old women that looks 100, puts on make up and thinks she looks 40, it's still what it is.

When the equipment is at a certain level it's just not needed. If the music has warts the equipment hides then the equipment isn't accurate. True
If an EQ is put in line to hide the warts it's tantamount to having the inferior equipment that wasn't good enough to reveal said warts. No. It simply changes what is being introduced ahead of the Output of amplification.

Nothig was said about equipment being good or bad.
 
Last edited:
Nor are all the masterings of that recording, but then I never said either of them where.
No one said you did. I made a statement. Correct it if needed. My point was how these obvious discrepancies in fidelity are compensated for. In your case you changed systems to achieve desired results. I sometimes will lower (dampen) o_O a Frequency range to alleviate a perceived distortion or boost to enhance a particular frequency to my liking.

But what does all this have to do with the topic of this thread?
"What combination of gear and listening space mods finally let you remove EQ"
You can go back and read the OP but all your post in this thread are an argument for using an EQ and nothing to do with the topic. I think they call that thread crapping, derailing threads, switching the topic to suit your opinion and create contention and arguments. I would think if you want to talk about the benefits of using a EQ you would start your own thread, unless the whole point in posting here is really to create contention and arguments.

This absolutely unfair. My point easily stands that NO equipment can compensate for input signals if it reproduces faithfully. If the bass aint in the recording NO equipment will change that. No room will change that. No furnishings will change that. Zero mods to a listening space will change that. I really cannot believe you pulled a thread crapping card. Nothing I have typed here justifies your last paragraph. I am sorry if you think for one second I am that type of person.
Nuff said.
 
Last edited:
But what does all this have to do with the topic of this thread?
"What combination of gear and listening space mods finally let you remove EQ"

NONE. Garbage in garbage out. Why did you have EQ to begin with? ALL recordings??
 
Nor are all the masterings of that recording, but then I never said either of them where.


The same with the listener, so it equals out as most people will find a mastering of a title they like and it works with their system and space.


But what does all this have to do with the topic of this thread?
"What combination of gear and listening space mods finally let you remove EQ"
You can go back and read the OP but all your post in this thread are an argument for using an EQ and nothing to do with the topic. I think they call that thread crapping, derailing threads, switching the topic to suit your opinion and create contention and arguments. I would think if you want to talk about the benefits of using a EQ you would start your own thread, unless the whole point in posting here is really to create contention and arguments.

When did the thread change to searching for the perfect recording for your system/ listening space? This was not the point at all. I think they call that thread crapping, derailing threads, switching the topic to suit your opinion
 
When did the thread change to searching for the perfect recording for your system/ listening space? This was not the point at all.
And off you continue to go,
but as a matter of fact the media I buy also contributes to not needing a EQ. After I got my system pretty well set I put my focus on the media finding the best masterings, buying many many dups of same titles as not all records are equal.

So that's the topic of the thread, what are members doing to "Not" need a EQ in their system. However your insisting you need to participate in this thread to defend your use of a EQ, that I don't get at all, nor is it the thread topic.
 
After I got my system pretty well set I put my focus on the media finding the best masterings, buying many many dups of same titles as not all records are equal.
What color is the sky in your world?

I have reread the thread and I am man enough to say I get your point on the OP's topic of the thread.
Have you also berated the posts on auto audio?
Have you questioned others who say how and when they use EQ? Did they "crap on the thread"?
All I need to do to disperse with bothersome records is change cartridges to one which is more forgiving then the v15III and does not reproduce what is on the record. In post #39 you talk about some video you had a problem with and changed equipment to compensate for the input. Videos are compressed audio which is nowhere near the master recording and no equipment change will change that. Many years ago after hearing others wonderful, extremely loud systems I decided to go for fidelity at listening levels because you hear more of the production.

Nothing on FOH here but no one has mentioned volume, which should have been part of the point because a listening area only becomes a problem when volume is introduced, in most cases. You have not addressed anything in my posts to you. You start off with "And off you continue to go". Are you trying to discourage subscribers? One just left and his post already deleted as you were asking " was it something I said?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom