• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do I do about my wife?

Boomer543

Active Member
Newbie here. Been buying vintage audio equipment at a frightening clip over the last several months.

My wife has finally cracked. Two huge boxes on my front porch today and more coming that she doesn't know about yet. Plus the Marantz 2275 that's being recapped that I hustled out of the house before she saw it.

She claims I am a "compulsive buyer", but I don't smoke, drink, gamble, chase women (too slow), buy flashy cars or clothes, etc. I just like the old gear.

Some of you have pretty extensive collections. Short of hanging my wife with speaker wire, what can I do to can convince her this is a healthy hobby?

Jack
 
Register to hide this ad
What I'd say:

1. I'm not taking over the whole house, just one room in it.
2. I'm not spending all of our fun money. We can still go out for dinner....

If you can't say 1 & 2, you've got a problem.........happy wife, happy life :D
 
and more coming that she doesn't know about yet.

That's funny and I know how you feel. The best thing to do is convey why you are doing it - why you enjoy it - that is what I've done - sure I get the eyes rolled every once in a while. For me I feel that all I do is work and come home - my job has always been very consuming (I think about work when I'm not at work...) - I have two sons that are now adults. For me getting back into HiFi was a way to relax - it dawned on me one day - when I drove into work and found that for the entire 45 minute drive I was thinking about some gear that was upgrading - a very relaxing drive to work. I need this man!

Good luck.
 
I can not justify to myself keeping around gear that I will not use on a regular basis.

There's two setups. The computer rig and the main rig which includes vinyl, cds and at least one pair of giant speakers but no more then two pairs of speakers.

If I can't figure out a way to fit something into these two primary setups then I won't buy it.

If I didn't set rules for myself I'd have no money. No job. No girlfriend. No car. No place to live. :D
 
You could show her some of my stuff - just don't tell her that I'm single. I also have about 30 pair of speakers in another room and over 16,000 records, 1,000 cd's, reel-to-reel tapes, cassettes, 8-track, 6 consoles, etc. :thmbsp:



IMG_2588.jpg


IMG_2558.jpg


bedroomstereo2.jpg


IMG_2446.jpg
 
I not sure what you should do. I just glad that Im single and always have been . I not sure how I would react or what I would say if a neg comment were made about my audio gear and the space it takes up in the room or the cars that I have. Good luck with this!!!!!:smoke:
 
flip

Start to flip. It seems that women don't argue about a money making effort (even if you break even or lose money, don't show her the "books").
 
Don't smoke?
Don't drink?
Don't gamble?
Don't chase woman?

Why live?....................Oh your not done with vintage gear yet.
 
She is just trying to understand your madness fascination of electronics. What I do to make my wife understand more is I find a song she loves and play it on my system. She is usually impressed.
 
You could show her some of my stuff - just don't tell her that I'm single. I also have about 30 pair of speakers in another room and over 16,000 records, 1,000 cd's, reel-to-reel tapes, cassettes, 8-track, 6 consoles, etc. :thmbsp:

Was there ever any doubt?:)
 
I'll reiterate.....happy wife, happy life............you know it's not the best thing to say, but it is ALWAYS the right thing to say........
 
You don't do anything about your wife. You sit down and have a productive conversation about her concerns, figure out some reasonable ground rules, especially regarding surprise large boxes, and live by the rules and with her.
It is not hard if you honestly want to live with her, rather than by her.
 
Learn to fund your hobby with money made by the hobby.

Just remember to give the wife her cut first!




Barney
 
Back
Top Bottom