• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What do I need to run 6 dahlquist dq-10's

airbats801

New Member
Currently, I am running 4 on a mitsubishi da15dc at I guess 2ohm? Sounds good, but I cant get them loud enough when I've had a few cocktails. Frustrating... I actually want to add oine more set from behind. I currently had the 2 sets stacked, and love the sound, but I want more. My test song is usually traffic dear mr fantasy, and a lil phil collins. Ican barely get them loud right now.

I wanted to run something like a yamaha pc4002, but adding another set, would I be putting the amp down to 1 ohm? I'm no pro but thast doesnt seem right. I assume I may need to buy a second amp to run 3 sets? I'm happy with everything but my amp on my current system, and I'm asking way too much of it with my current setup. I tried a set of dq-8 the other day and I could make my ears bleed lol. Way less of a speaker imo though.
 
Register to hide this ad
Just go find say 3 Sansui BA-5000s. Should give you a result you can live with regardless of the state of your liver. Or, 3 McIntosh MC2600s as an acceptable substitute.
 
One DQ-10 is 8 ohms. Two DQ-10s is either 16 ohms or 4 ohms depending on wiring. You most probably hooked them up to get a 4 ohm load. Not very many know how to wire them for 16 or go to that trouble.

Three DQ-10s will make most amps cringe or worse wired in parallel giving a 2-2/3Ω load. So you should get an amp that likes that low impedance load or use more than one amp.

The DQ-10 is designed to play about 95 dB according to the old TAS review. So I don't know if you will get drunken, arena rock and roll volume with them but adding another pair for sound reinforcement is going the right way. Maybe not the best for audiophile listening but you aren't looking for that.

Get a set of amps, one for each pair or get a pair of amps and use stacked DQs front and rear. Should start to get a bit louder but not much. Might be time to invest in a pair of drunken brawl speakers. That is the reason I keep a pair of speakers around. Don't want to tear up the system when I want to crank up the tunes.
 
Three 200 WPC stereo amps is what you need. Something vintage like refurb'ed Adcoms or new like the Crown Drivecore amps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for the replies. I didnt think I could find a single amp to do it, but multi amps, it will have to be.

I have a few other sets of speakers including some old mediocre advents than I can get loud, but they just dont have the range of sound I hear with my dq-10s Even when im drinking, I still appreciate the fullness of the dq10s, and have become quite disapointed most most other speakers. I can tell right away where a set of dq-8 are lacking, they still sound great, but you don't hear everything.

I'm sure I'm not even hitting anywhere near 95db with my current setup. I'm definitely looking at staying solid state., so I was thinking either get a nice ol yamaha and keep running the current set at 4 ohm, and probably be happy with it. I was quite impressed with going with stacked dq10s up front, and cant even get myself to go back to a single pair. I'm just curious if adding one more set would increase the quality.

I also wouldn't mind trying a new set of speakers, but I would want something better than my current setup obviously.
 
I routinely get to to 125DB with my modded K-horns and a White Oaked Phase Linear 700B, fantastic amps on a set of DQ-10's also...there are a couple members of Phoenix Audio Community Forum that are actually running some DQ-10's biamped with the sub doing down low duty....the WOPL's do around 500WPC into 8 ohms and handle 4 and less just fine with fan cooling...
 
BTW, I have tested the WOPL's at 775 into 4 ohms....both loaded and driven from 10hz to 20,000hz +0db, -.13 db...
 
Find a used behringer ep2500 , It will put out 1200 a side at 2 ohms. You will just need a couple 1/4 to rca adapters.
 
Three 200 WPC stereo amps is what you need. Something vintage like refurb'ed Adcoms or new like the Crown Drivecore amps.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk


Yes, get one big or some smaller Crown XLS series amps.
Even though they are pro amps, XLS have great reviews as home audio amplifiers and weigh less than 12 lbs.

Handling 2ohms load is no problem so you can even hook all 3 pairs to one.

Crown XLS2500
•440 watts per channel at 8 ohms, 775 watts per channel at 4 ohms, 2400 watts per channel at 4 ohms bridged
•1200W Watts/Side @ 2 ohms
•High Performance, Lightweight Class-D amp weighs less than 11 lbs
•Integrated PureBand(TM) Crossover System for better performance and control
•PeakX(TM) Limiters provide maximum output while protecting your

http://www.crownaudio.com/xls-drivecore.html

**********************

This guy at hometheaterequipment has great results using XLS drivecore amps with high end speakers.

http://www.hometheaterequipment.com...vecore-series-amplifier-official-thread-1319/

This thread has user reviews using this amp with Polk Monitor 70's, Martin Logan, Revel Salon 2's etc... and all are positive.
Thread title is this: Pro amps officially better than consumer amps!
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=210902
 
Last edited:
Three XLS 1500 would do it nicely, I don't see an upside to using one amp.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Last edited:
Three XLS 1500 would do it nicely, I don't see an upside to using one amp.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

One upside is you don't need 3 pre-outs.
Another is one big 2500 is much cheaper than 3 or even 2 1500's. ;)
 
Dunno if there would be a significant sonic diff with one amp coping with the FB loop dealing with 3 separate speakers per channel vs each speaker having its own amp channel.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Sounds to me like your asking your speakers for more then they can give if you have to keep adding more. These are rated at 200w right? I think maybe you just need a high current amp more then 2400w of DJ power. Lee mentioned the WOPL700B... that amp will more then drive your DQ10s to their limits @ 4ohms and not even breathe hard as long as you have some air cooling. 2ohm amps is just plain ridiculous, the heat generated alone is a turnoff. You want lots of headroom and clean flat response, not necessarily tons of DJ power
 
115.4 dB

115.4dB, no problem...:thmbsp:
I just put on Steely Dan's 'Babylon Sisters' and measuring with my CheckMate CM140 dB meter, C weighted, I got 115.4 dB without any trouble at all. The DQ10's were crystal clear, and the only reason I didn't go higher is that I'm out of subwoofer fuses. This is with the standard value fuses in the WOPL 700B's too.
Given good clean power your DQ10's will put out BIG sound.
See my sig line for my system. I have just one pair of DQ-10s, but they're biamped, using the Dahlquist active crossover and a pair or Dahlquist DQ-1W subwoofers. I'm running two Phase Linear 700B's that have been completely rebuilt with White Oak Audio components. After the rebuild, they both measure over 500 watts RMS per channel, into 8 ohms. I can't say enough about the quality of the White Oak design and components.
It's my personal opinion that class D switching power supply amps don't do as well as good old fashioned big transformers and large filter capacitors in the power supply for transient reserve power.
 
I know I'm not asking too much of my current speakers, I just dont have the amp, the mitsubishi is great for regular listening, but just cannot put out enough to get the speakers loud. I can gain a bit moree with some active cooling on the amp, but frankly, I need a better power source, and I've been so happy with 2 sets, I figure adding one more couldnt hurt.

I currently run a velodyne server f series sub with the setup and crossover to try and get a little more load off the amp, but it really barely helps with my current amp, other than I get a little more low down. I'd like to try the dq1 if I ever see one for sale.

premiumplus, sounds like you have a perfect setup going. I will have to look into that!
 
The DQ-10s are the best speaker I've ever heard, when driven with enough power...They are also probably the most inefficient speaker ever made! I'm putting over 500 WRMS into mine and they suck it right up. In return is fabulous sound. I'm keeping mine.
 
The DQ-10s are the best speaker I've ever heard, when driven with enough power...They are also probably the most inefficient speaker ever made! I'm putting over 500 WRMS into mine and they suck it right up. In return is fabulous sound. I'm keeping mine.

Yeah, I got into them late in life. My dad bought his set of mirror imaged back in the 70s new and he was always very protective of them when I was growing up. He passed a few years ago, and I finally got to play with them and instantly fell in love after I had the woofers refoamed. I bought a second set that had been recapped with a new tweeter as well, but it has a little oto much at the top end, and I think I will reconnect the originals on that set.
 
Back
Top Bottom