• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

What do you carry and what Holster do you use?

Hyfi

Addicted Member
Times are a changing and I find myself wanting to carry more than I ever have. I have had a Permit for 25 years and maybe carried 30 times.

I have several hand guns and only a shoulder holster for a Baretta 84. I want to be able to carry my SIG P230 and looking at Holsters but finding many options all with similar reviews of how it is the best holster they ever used.

I am unsure if I want inside or outside the waist band but thinking it would be more comfortable on the outside. I also want it to ride up high for easier concealment.

So what is your Carry Gun and what Brand/Model Holster do you use?
 
Register to hide this ad
If you're looking for Gun Leather, or other well made Holsters, Galco makes some nice stuff, very well made.

I have a Galco Master Holster for my Full Size Colt-Talo 1911 National Match DLX in Brown Leather. Yeah, a little pricey, but you often do get what you pay for. That have a variety of models-styles to choose from. The Galco is not configurable, so you have to choose your method of carry.

I'm right handed, and chose IWB behind the back carry with a Right hand model I believe, this way when drawn, you're not going to come across your mid-section with the Barrel pointed towards you, and the Kidney area as you draw. Such a accidental discharge when drawing could prove disastrous-fatal.

Such a large Pistol is not an easy one to conceal carry though in summertime, hence my "lighter fare" mentioned below.

For my smaller Ruger SP-101 with 2.25" Barrel, and Walther PPK/S, I have chosen lighter, and more affordable models from Elite Survival. They are lightweight Cordura Nylon and versatile, can be configured in any way you choose, IWB, OWB, Strongside, Crossdraw.

The newer Model Elites come with a configurable snap Closure Retaining Strap which is fully adjustable via Velcro and is retained in place "behind" the Clip, so such is durable and not coming loose any kind of way, A special piece of Thin Plastic Strip is included for precise adjustment of the strap. A strong Spring Steel Clip to retain to a Belt in any configuration. They are durable, tough, will last years, and very inexpensive, commonly under $30.

I'll include a couple links for you to browse.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/
https://www.elitesurvival.com/
 
Last edited:
I carry a Glock 19 and have yet to find a holster I can recommend with confidence. Especially if you want it hidden. Of course your Sig is more compact. Good luck, let us know what you decide
 
With the Elite Holsters, and in particular while conceal carrying the Walther PPK/S, I've carried in a few different positions over the years. Being right handed, those were Strong side-right side at 2 oclock front and in back at 5 oclock IWB.

(While the PPK/S is only .380, it goes bang 8 times with one in the Pipe. For a sem-auto I like that it is double action, and firing from double action, the trigger pull is quite heavy and about a 13 lb pull, (about 8lbs in single action) not so easy to accidentally discharge. Thus I don't carry it with the safety on) The only ammo I use with it, and that reliably feeds, is Remington Golden Saber 102gr.

And now most recently I've decided to carry Crossdraw with the Walther Pistol more at the side-Kidney area, rather than directly in the front. Of course there's some adjustability whether one wishes to carry at the 9 oclock, or 11 oclock position, which ever feels personally the most comfortable.

Some right handed people like and prefer Crossdraw while driving, because of the Seat Belt Buckle being in the way.

With the Elite Holsters, one feature again I'll mention, is one can switch back and forth anytime to various carry positions and change it in a matter of a few minute's time. Whereas most Leather Holsters, you're usually confined to only two Carry Positions, whether IWB or OWB.

With the Elites, and with something like a Sig P230, (which I assume is a small "Walther-like" .32-.380), the retainment is very positive and secure, whether you were to fall, or be in a physical altercation with an adversary in a self defense situation, the pistol will stay put.
 
Last edited:
Glock 27 (.40, sub-compact), with guide rod LaserMax, Hogue grip sleeve, and grip extenders on the mags. Loaded and chambered with Ranger SXTs. Carried in a Blackhawk leather IWB (close conforming leather, strap instead of metal clip so doesn't eat shirt tails, adjustable retention), worn right rear at all times, all day, very comfortable (don't even notice, unless not present when not home...then its absence screams at me). For less than lethal needs: ASP 16" Talon Infinity collapsible baton (airweight & fits in right pants pocket without noticeable printing), plus 40+ years of various styles of interpersonal Asian communication.

1430870400_lms1161g4.jpg


opplanet-hogue-handall-beavertail-grip-sleeve-glock-2627-mcimage-spids-94567-96042-94756-94800-101315-vids.jpg


51kUB2%2B0BTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg


Ranger SXT...Pic is not my caliber, but this is what I run for personal defense. I have both, black talons, and std. LE. These open up into sharp blades and are a real mess to have to clean up after, in surgery.

1024px-Winchester_Black_Talon_10mm.jpg


opplanet-blackhawk-leather-inside-pants-holster-black-right-420403bkr.jpg


BA129_1500_2.jpg


Enjoy,
Rich P
 
Last edited:
Should have gotten my CCW years ago when I had my FFL. Too many hoops to jump through here in CA now.

Take a look at Barsony holsters.
 
Thanks for the feedback.

The more I look, the more confused I get. Not being able to actually try any, how do you know what you like and what will work? I am also finding that not all companies even make holsters for the P230 or 232.

What is the deal with the Paddle types? Does that just do away with the Belt Clip and make it more stable?

For those that carry Inside the waistband, how does the gun not push into your body when you tighten your belt to stop your pants from falling down?
 
What is the deal with the Paddle types? Does that just do away with the Belt Clip and make it more stable?

For those that carry Inside the waistband, how does the gun not push into your body when you tighten your belt to stop your pants from falling down?

My Alien Gear is my IWB holster. It’s clips can just go over the waist band and/or a belt. How much it “pushes” into your body depends on how much you are pressure testing your pants. If you need a belt I find mine mostly is not noticed. You do need to get use to it and you are always aware it’s there. For me even though I am aware it’s very comfortable.
 
My Alien Gear is my IWB holster. It’s clips can just go over the waist band and/or a belt. How much it “pushes” into your body depends on how much you are pressure testing your pants. If you need a belt I find mine mostly is not noticed. You do need to get use to it and you are always aware it’s there. For me even though I am aware it’s very comfortable.
From this page, which one do you have?

https://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/sig-p230.html
 
Thanks for the feedback.

The more I look, the more confused I get. Not being able to actually try any, how do you know what you like and what will work? I am also finding that not all companies even make holsters for the P230 or 232.

What is the deal with the Paddle types? Does that just do away with the Belt Clip and make it more stable?

For those that carry Inside the waistband, how does the gun not push into your body when you tighten your belt to stop your pants from falling down?
Alot of folks I know have a drawer full of holsters. I guess trial and error is the common thing, unless you do what you are doing now.

I actually have several ways to carry my Glock 27. Maybe it's my body type, or maybe, it's the piece I chose to start with (it is small but potent). The drawback with a sub-compact is, being so small and short of barrel, it will amplify whatever you do that is not just right. You compensate for that by putting lots and lots of rounds through it, over a long period, on a regular basis. It becomes a natural extension of your body.

In any case, any of the holsters I have, I would use still. I have just settled on the BlackHawk holster I showed you up-thread, for a variety of reasons.

I have a belly band that I designed and my wife sewed up.I can wear it so my piece is located right where I currently carry it, or cross draw in front, or even up under my left arm, under my shirt (for if I am wearing dress clothes). It also has a slot for an extra mag. I still use this, but kind of rarely, as it tends to be a bit on the hot side. It does print the least of all of my other options. In the under-the-arm configuration, it even passes the hug test, like at congregational services.

My first one was a leather Bianchi IWB, with a metal clip that slips over my belt. But, as I stated up-thread, the clip tends to eat the tails of my shirts over time. Also, it lacks the adjustable retention that my current BlackHawk has. Since I have needed to get physical, I like for my piece to stay right where it is until I need it. Now that I'm getting older, getting physical needs to be considered a bit more, so the adjustable retention might not be such a thing.

I have a soft nylon net IWB, also with a metal clip, but I did not care for the lack of retention, and its metal clip also ate shirts. It also tended to be on the hot side. Leather, in my opinion, is best for IWB carry. Kydex, nylon, etc. just get a person sweating here in AZ, and that is not good for your piece. Here is where the big paddles are problematic for me. I also don't like my holster telling me it is there all of the time.

Finally, I have a tight to the body shoulder holster, made of webbing straps and elastic banding, secured with Velcro. This one is designed to be worn under a loose fitting t-shirt, with the piece up close under the arm. It works pretty well, and surprisingly, it does not print much at all, but it is not handy, and is too hot, and tends to provoke sweating. However, it is good for its specific purposes.

I have a nice leather day planner with a special zip-close area for the piece and an extra mag, That used to be with me when I would do visitations in homes, or at work, where I was not supposed to have a piece. It still lives in my briefcase, for access to the extra mag in it. I don't like the non-zero possibility of leaving it behind, or having someone else accessing or finding it. I also don't like not having my piece on my immediate person.

I had a very nice leather belly bag, with a special zip-close area for the piece, the holster for which is held in a variety of positions, as needed, by Velcro on the holster portion as well as the sides of the carry area. I think belly bags look stupid on me, so I took the holster portion out and gave the bag to my wife.

Finally, for when I am riding my RoadKing in the cold, which complicates accessing my piece, if it is on my immediate body (too many layers, leathers, heavy shirts, chaps, etc.), I have what they call a Pistol Pete leather jacket, with a special section in the left front which is accessed by a quick Velcro rip. The jacket is not as warm as my heavy leather, but does offer an option when it is not too cold out. It did not come with a holster, so I lined the area intended for the piece with Velcro and use the holster from the belly band I just described.

Now, with all of these different carry methods I have, I have to emphacize the psychology of survival situations. Without fail, humans lose about 75 points of their IQ when it gets hot and quick. You will only do what you have practiced and usually do without thinking. In such cases, you will reach for where you normally reach. If you are using an alternate carry means, you have lost time, suffer a moment of confusion, and will have telegraphed what you have. That is bad mojo.

For the most part, you need to find a means that conceals well, is not uncomfortable, and that does not require a lot of steps to get to. Then you need to practice, practice, practice. If you have a range that includes tactical training, even a laser scenario system, time and money in those areas is well-spent.

You also need to keep abreast of the law in your jurisdiction. Having a piece is better than not, but not knowing exactly if, when, where and how, can get you in serious trouble, real quick. Most failures to act appropriately, and even in situations where you did act appropriately, you will be faced with being prosecuted, and your future will be determined by 12 strangers, whose attitudes on firearms, and what is "reasonable," are all over the map. Successful prosecution will result, most likely, in a felony conviction with severe penalties and loss of the ability to carry, or even possess, in the future.

Just know that you can start by going outside to see what that noise is in the carport, and have it escalate to finding yourself in a stance, looking down the sites at another human, or even dropping the hammer, not able to clearly explain how it got from point A to point B at all, and how it did it so quickly. It could take you weeks to re-play the scenario in your mind, before you can make adequate sense out of it. That is why you do not want to make any kind of statement to law enforcement, should they become involved. If you are going to carry, you need to have a friend who is a competent attorney, or you need to have sat down with an attorney to learn what you need to know, and have his card with you any time you carry. I have significant experience with this stuff, from several different angles.

Believe me. Getting a piece and figuring out how to carry it are the least of your considerations. The more you know, and can do, and the better you can think under stress, the better for you, and the other humans you may encounter along the way. The best protection is wisdom...knowing how to not be where you will need the rest of this stuff is the best portion of that wisdom. A piece is not a solution, in and of itself. It is simply a tool.

Be careful out there,
Rich P
 
Last edited:
Thanks Rich. I have owned and shot for 40 years and have had my carry permit for at least 25. All your info is helpful.
 
Thanks for the feedback.

The more I look, the more confused I get. Not being able to actually try any, how do you know what you like and what will work? I am also finding that not all companies even make holsters for the P230 or 232.

What is the deal with the Paddle types? Does that just do away with the Belt Clip and make it more stable?

For those that carry Inside the waistband, how does the gun not push into your body when you tighten your belt to stop your pants from falling down?

With the newer Elite Survival IWB Holster I bought, there was a good deal of discomfort when I first fitted it.
One was the manner in which I had the Retaining Strap positioned, in that it had a longish Release Tab that extends past the Snap (for easy release) that was digging into my Gut.

I decided to "snip" some of the Tab off, and what I found was thin Metal sandwiched in that retention strap by the snap, so out came a Tin Snips to trim about 1/2" off, much better. I then used some crazy glue to re-bond the very end of the strap, and then used a Bic Lighter to smooth the rough edge.

There's still enough Tab to release by thumb. But I agree, many IWB can be a bit uncomfortable, you know it's there, and the degree of comfort can be where you decide to carry. IMO there is a downside to any position on the clock you might choose to carry with an IWB.

At the back, it could be sitting in a chair, at the front it can be when you bend, right side, it could interfere with a Seat Belt when driving, I think you get the picture, and of course everyone's needs are different.
Was why one poster perhaps said that there's not one answer or one Holster that will fit everyone's tastes.

It's very rare I carry my 1911 for some obvious reasons, it is a large pistol, and difficult to conceal, at least in summer months. I also don't feel a lot of comfort by carrying a cocked and locked single action semi-auto.

Best bet is visit a local Gun Shop or two, browse their inventory, either bring along your pistol, or ask before visiting if they have the particular pistol you wish to buy a Holster for. That's what I've done in many instances.

It then has to be your decision what works best for you. No need to buy in haste that particular day either, check out a couple-few models, then rest on it.
 
Last edited:
Extra mag trick, Beretta 92 size mags will fit nicely in a Buck 110 or similar knife belt sheath. Smaller single stack will fit in Leathermen cases.
 
Back
Top Bottom