• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Exactly Makes The MAC 4100 So Great?

mea2112

Addicted Member
I've seen numerous comments about how great the MAC 4100 is.
What exactly makes it so great?

I have a bunch of really good solid-state receivers:

Pioneer SX-828
Pioneer SX-9
Marantz SR-9000G
JVC JR-S600MKII
Kyocera R-851
Realistic STA-2100
Sony STR-GX10ES
Sony STR-6800SD

Is the MAC 4100 really gonna sound that much better than any of those?
 
Register to hide this ad
The MAC will drive three pair of loudspeakers simultaneously down to loads of 2 ohm. None of the others will.

The MAC has four or five different circuits that protect both the unit itself as well as the speakers connected to it, including PG circuitry which eliminates clipping and any speaker damage resulting from it. The amplifier cannot be overdriven.

The MAC is specifically designed to allow ease of servicing. McIntosh precision tracking volume control maintains channel balance within 1 dB throughout the range of the control. Highly effective 5 band EQ, FET input selector eliminates transients when switching between sources and power draw sensing circuit for turntable outlets, delayed action FM muting circuit and especially McIntosh's continuously variable loudness compensation

Lastly is McIntosh's craftsmanship, longevity, engineering excellence and enduring resale.

While none of these qualities necessarily translate dramatically "better" sonics, but they do help assure a unit better able to cope with a wider variety of operating conditions, better tonal flexibility helping to deal with a wider variety of listening material with a minimum of fuss and high reliability/ longevity.
 
Last edited:
Thanks a lot 62caddy! I think you might have really summed it all up for me.
A neighbor has one in mint condition but wants a grand for it but I'm really on the fence as to whether it's worth it.
I suppose I could try it and if it doesn't impress me very much I probably could sell it and get my money back.
 
Thanks a lot 62caddy! I think you might have really summed it all up for me.
A neighbor has one in mint condition but wants a grand for it but I'm really on the fence as to whether it's worth it.
I suppose I could try it and if it doesn't impress me very much I probably could sell it and get my money back.
Was the 4100 Recapped or does this have the Original Caps? It's Overdue for a Recap.
 
Thanks a lot 62caddy! I think you might have really summed it all up for me.
A neighbor has one in mint condition but wants a grand for it but I'm really on the fence as to whether it's worth it.
I suppose I could try it and if it doesn't impress me very much I probably could sell it and get my money back.

If it's as nice as you describe, you cannot go wrong at that price. In fact, doubling your investment wouldn't be out of the question.
 
The MAC will drive three pair of loudspeakers simultaneously down to loads of 2 ohm. None of the others will.

The MAC has four or five different circuits that protect both the unit itself as well as the speakers connected to it, including PG circuitry which eliminates clipping and any speaker damage resulting from it. The amplifier cannot be overdriven.

The MAC is specifically designed to allow ease of servicing. McIntosh precision tracking volume control maintains channel balance within 1 dB throughout the range of the control. Highly effective 5 band EQ, FET input selector eliminates transients when switching between sources and power draw sensing circuit for turntable outlets, delayed action FM muting circuit and especially McIntosh's continuously variable loudness compensation

Lastly is McIntosh's craftsmanship, longevity, engineering excellence and enduring resale.

While none of these qualities necessarily translate dramatically "better" sonics, but they do help assure a unit better able to cope with a wider variety of operating conditions, better tonal flexibility helping to deal with a wider variety of listening material with a minimum of fuss and high reliability/ longevity.
It will likely need a rebuild to get back to that level.
 
I just got a MAC4100 and in my opinion, it certainly lives up to the hype. Sounds great and looks great paired up with my Pioneer RT707. I was using a MA6200, which is essentially the integrated version of the MAC4100. I had a nice Marantz tuner paired with the MA6200, and the MAC4100 tuner is way better sounding. I’ll probably send it to Audio Classics at some point for a freshen up.

28C8C6A9-C734-452A-BEBF-40D5FDA624C4.jpeg
 
All this love for the 4100 is making me think I should replace my MX-113 / MC2105 combo with a 4100.

Yes, I lose the meters, but I would also lose glass paint bubbling. And it seems like I would gain the five band EQ, a better tuner, the ability for three sets of speakers, plus Power Guard.

I don't mean to hijack the thread-- but I always have been intrigued by the 4100. If I had a neighbor with a mint one I do not think I could resist.
 
I’d sell the Mx-113 and then get 4100 and pull jumpers are use if in conduction with 2105. Or upgrade to mx-117. I would NEVER recommend selling a 2105 in favor of all in one receiver unless space was an issue and you lived in a nyc closet apt.

for less than 100.00 you can buy an adcom or rotel speaker switcher which will allow you to run up to 6 sets of speakers if that’s what your goal is.
 
The MC2105 and MX-113 are at a family house in Vermont so they have plenty of space and room to breathe. And yeah, I already have an Adcom switch hooked up to the 2105 to run speakers in three rooms. Most of the time I just power a pair of Snell J speakers, but when people are over it is nice to fill the house with sound.

The MX-117 is one McIntosh I have never heard anyone say a bad thing about. The MX-113s are easy to find, but the MX-117 is something I need to search for. But you do make a great point. The 4100 would be a good pre/tuner combo, and a definite upgrade over the MX-113 without taking up too much more space.

I also have come to realize you never regret picking up another McIntosh. You really cannot have too many.

Ok, well maybe there is a limit. But I have not hit it yet!
 
All this love for the 4100 is making me think I should replace my MX-113 / MC2105 combo with a 4100.

Yes, I lose the meters, but I would also lose glass paint bubbling. And it seems like I would gain the five band EQ, a better tuner, the ability for three sets of speakers, plus Power Guard.

I don't mean to hijack the thread-- but I always have been intrigued by the 4100. If I had a neighbor with a mint one I do not think I could resist.

Don't.

I had a 4100 and all the positives mentioned I agree with.

That said, I liked the sound of my 2105 much better. For me, the warmth of the 2105 vs. the more neutral presentation of the was much preferred. And this was with any preamp, solid state, or tube, that I used. Plus, the 2105 is maybe the best looking solid state amp Mac ever produced. IMO.

At the very least, hold onto the 2105 and try out the 4100 if you can. If you buy it for the type of price being discussed here, you'll be sure to make your money back plus.
 
Plus, the 2105 is maybe the best looking solid state amp Mac ever produced. IMO.

I have to agree on the looks. The MC2105 is stunning. Fortunately the one I picked up came with a cabinet. I cannot decide if it looks better dressed up or naked. But I think that is a testament to the design, it ALWAYS looks good.

Thanks to those weighing in on my query. I did not mean to hijack the thread, but the trusted opinions of this group here are much appreciated. I am very happy to have it and it was not that I had complaints about the 2105, it was just a question of ...what if?

And who has not been in that position before?
 
I had a minty 4100 and regrettably sold it for 900 about five years ago. I would definitely buy it back for a grand and put another few hundred into the "investment" recap.

With that said, I actually picked up a minty condition 6100/MR74 combo with a pair of XR5s/MQ101 just yesterday and looking forward to getting them fully restored.

I still regret selling my 4100, but perhaps you won't regret buying one soon!
 
I am lusting after a MX117 bad to team up with my mc2125. They seem to be a lot less common than mx113 and mx115.
 
MAC4100 & MX117 share the same tuner preamp sections except the 4100 has 5 band EQ while MX117 has 3. Input selector of the MAC4100 is FET while the MX117 is mechanical. McIntosh described the 4100 as "the most value packed receiver in the world". That probably wasn't all that far off in 1978.
 
Back
Top Bottom