• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

what gin for a great gin and tonic???

I've been using Crater Lake Gin and Aviation gin lately. Both a bit different.

Fevertree tonics. I do have some Sanpellagrino Oakwood tonic on the shelf now. Might be my favorite right now, normally I like the Fevertree Grapefruit tonic as my go to.
 
so I have apparently discovered that I like a G&T. Made one for myself over the weekend while fixing stuff at the bar and thought "ok, this isn't bad" despite being made with the rail gin (Barton's?). Also on the shelf were original Bombay and Tanqueray. Tried both last night, prefer the Tanqueray. The regular Bombay is a bit bland and honestly tasted very similar to the rail stuff, the Tanqueray has some lemon notes that I rather enjoyed. I guess next time I'm somewhere that has Sapphire I'll try that out.

I think there is a bottle of Beefeater up there too, maybe will try that out next time I'm there.

might have to try other tonics as well, was using just whatever is in the bar gun that comes from our local supplier. Its not any name brand since they aren't a distributor for any of the big names. I think the can just says "quinine water" or something like that. I've had tonic that tasted like a mouthful of pennies but this wasn't too bad.
 
so I have apparently discovered that I like a G&T. Made one for myself over the weekend while fixing stuff at the bar and thought "ok, this isn't bad" despite being made with the rail gin (Barton's?). Also on the shelf were original Bombay and Tanqueray. Tried both last night, prefer the Tanqueray. The regular Bombay is a bit bland and honestly tasted very similar to the rail stuff, the Tanqueray has some lemon notes that I rather enjoyed. I guess next time I'm somewhere that has Sapphire I'll try that out.

I think there is a bottle of Beefeater up there too, maybe will try that out next time I'm there.

might have to try other tonics as well, was using just whatever is in the bar gun that comes from our local supplier. Its not any name brand since they aren't a distributor for any of the big names. I think the can just says "quinine water" or something like that. I've had tonic that tasted like a mouthful of pennies but this wasn't too bad.
My heath conscience long suffering caregiver/housekeeper has converted me over to non-Fructose based naturally sweetened (I think Agave plant based) tonic water since the beginning of this yr. for use in my usually 2~3 daily post dinner G&Ts.
The new, also quinine based heathier tonic water tastes fine to me with no perceived bitterness or weird flavors and comes in a small can that`s sold in a 4 can package.

If this is a concern for you gadget73, it might be something to consider looking into with your new found discovery of G&Ts, or at least, for your use at home.

FWIW, I`m a die hard Tangueray brand myself after trying many types of Gin over the yrs., since discovering that I like G&Ts starting in 1998 when my B-I-L turned me on to that drink.
 
My heath conscience long suffering caregiver/housekeeper has converted me over to non-Fructose based naturally sweetened (I think Agave plant based) tonic water since the beginning of this yr. for use in my usually 2~3 daily post dinner G&Ts.
The new, also quinine based heathier tonic water tastes fine to me with no perceived bitterness or weird flavors and comes in a small can that`s sold in a 4 can package.

If this is a concern for you gadget73, it might be something to consider looking into with your new found discovery of G&Ts, or at least, for your use at home.

FWIW, I`m a die hard Tangueray brand myself after trying many types of Gin over the yrs., since discovering that I like G&Ts starting in 1998 when my B-I-L turned me on to that drink.
I'll hammer down a pony of tonic straight to quickly quell cascading nighttime leg cramping. Some say it shouldn't work, it hasn't failed, yet.
Flavour comments are helpful.
 
Last edited:
A G&T was how I was introduced to Gin, and it has been a love affair ever since. I only use tonic water with sugar.

My current gin of choice is New Amsterdam London Dry Gin. It is great for making martinis and it is 94 proof.

I also like tanq as well as Bombay regular gin for G&T. One day I will buy some Plymouth Navy Strength Gin. It is over 100 proof.
 
I've switched from G&T to seltzer and bitters. I don't want the sugar in tonic and the sugar free stuff tastes bad. Gin with very much floral character doesn't do well. The bitters supply their own character.
 
If this is a concern for you gadget73, it might be something to consider looking into with your new found discovery of G&Ts, or at least, for your use at home.
Might try that, just for the experiment. I may also consider trying it with club soda, seltzer, or just lower-sugar tonic. I'm fat, I really don't need extra sugar in my life. HFCS has a slightly off taste, and the zero-carb sugar substitutes are all awful tasting IMO.

don't really know why I never tried a G&T previously though. Probably had someone tell me that gin is nasty so it just never occurred to me to order one.
 
Always a Beefeater fan but bartender recently turned me on to Malfy Limon from Italy. It makes a fantastic G&T.

My favorite gin is Monkey 47, but at $65 a bottle, I'm hard pressed to mix it...but I will. It's also delicious neat.
 
All booze is meant to be mixed. There. I've said it. Straight booze is disgusting.

I also have tried the diet tonics. Jeez. Who thought that would be a good idea. Completely horrible. If you need a sugar free substitute, maybe. But it was really bad, and I'm a diet soda junkie.
 
All booze is meant to be mixed. There. I've said it. Straight booze is disgusting.

I also have tried the diet tonics. Jeez. Who thought that would be a good idea. Completely horrible. If you need a sugar free substitute, maybe. But it was really bad, and I'm a diet soda junkie.

Dark rum, neat, is excellent!
 
All booze is meant to be mixed. There. I've said it. Straight booze is disgusting.

I also have tried the diet tonics. Jeez. Who thought that would be a good idea. Completely horrible. If you need a sugar free substitute, maybe. But it was really bad, and I'm a diet soda junkie.
So, pour all the booze into a common container, like an adult "wild indian"?
I'd expect the Jaegermeifter to dominate.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom