• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Goodies Are Hiding in Your Closet, Begging to Be Used?

Dave B.

Well-Known Member
I'm talking audio here, people. By "closet," I mean any place in your home where unused equipment is just waiting to be put back in action. We moved into our present home here in 2008. For almost 10 years, I had a superior pair of restored AR9s (the big ones) sitting, boxed, in my heated/AC'd basement. Every time I went down there and saw them, I would hear them calling out, "Plug us in! Plug us in!"

I also had a pair of mint ADS L1530s functioning purely as decorative furniture, unconnected, in the corners of our TV room for many years. They were a bequest and I never got around to using them ...

... until this past October, when the bug bit me bad and my wife and I, at great physical strain to my back, dragged both the AR9s and the L1530s up to the master bedroom suite, which has become my office/music room. I moved the bedroom down the hall. I'm happy to say that all is well with them (but not my back) as I blast away while I work.

So, how about you? What great equipment do you have stashed away that's just aching to get back in your rotation?

Check that closet or basement. You may surprised what you find.

Dave
 
Register to hide this ad
Right now, actually working, there's a HK 330B, a Luxman R-1120, and two pair of Advent /3s (complete coincidence)

More stuff needs to be fixed... and that's the main reason why the Luxman isn't hooked up, I'm using the dining room to test new/repaired gear as that's the easiest location to reconfigure.
 
I'm using the dining room to test new/repaired gear as that's the easiest location to reconfigure.

Interesting point, N8N. I guess I also should have asked, in light of my room rearranging:

What household reconfigurations have you made in order to accommodate your system changes?

This may become entangled with The WAF Zone. :idea:

Dave
 
Pioneer TZ-9LTD in storage
Accuphase P-600 waiting for a fix
Tandberg TA-2080 waiting for a fix
Onkyo A-G10 sits looking pretty
Half of a Stax monoblock amp pair in a window well
Polyfusion 940 preamp in a box in the Hall.
There’s a few others
 
Last edited:
Interesting point, N8N. I guess I also should have asked, in light of my room rearranging:

What household reconfigurations have you made in order to accommodate your system changes?

This may become entangled with The WAF Zone. :idea:

Dave

LOL this one's good. When what's her face moved into her new place (where most of my gear is - we're both music nerds and she's been to a few AK gatherings) I suggested putting a small system in the dining room just to display some of the unused gear I had. I suggested my little Dynaco stack and some small bookshelf speakers. She was initially resistant, she thought it was silly to have a dining room system while there was a HT system in the living room which is completely open and a 2 channel system in the kitchen.

One day I come by and she's placed my KLH Twenty Threes in the corners of the dining room. So I hooked up a receiver just sitting on the sideboard and wired it up. I mocked her a little because I reminded her that she ixnayed my suggestion to put some little bookshelf speakers in there.

Last setup in there was a Luxman TP-117, matching cassette and CD player, and AR XA playing through some HK 775s. Once I got that hooked up (one of the 775s needed repair) the very next day I started getting text messages about how much better the "new system" sounded :)

Unfortunately one of the 775s - not the one previously repaired, one that I bought off eBay used and abused that showed up functional - is at the spa now, so they've been replaced with a Dynaco ST-120. But she's pretty cool with it now and the nice thing about the setup is if you sit in the living room, you can watch TV on the HT system, or you can turn 90 degrees and you're just about in the right spot to listen to 2-channel from the dining room.

It is a little silly though. Once I get stuff repaired and tested I may scale this back and put the big daddy system somewhere else. I still need to give the R-1120 a thorough shakedown so that's next, but I'm waiting on the Brown Santa to bring me a RC-501 IR receiver for the TP-117, and will need to shake down the 775 when it comes back as well. Once that's done I have to think about what stays, what goes, what goes where, and what gets fixed next.
 
Maybe "think about WHO goes ..." :bye:

Dave

At least in that respect, she's a keeper... anyone that can tell the difference between a Marantz 4270 in 2 channel mode and the setup mentioned above, and appreciates it enough to start sending text messages in the middle of the day, is Our Kind of People :) She likes fast cars too, so this is really quite a good thing.
 
Michell Gyro SE, Technoarm, Sumiko Blackbird
SOTA Star Sapphire
Michell Focus One, SME 3009 arm
SL-1200 Mk II, Sumiko EVO III
SME 309 arm
2 SOTA Phono Head Amps
Coph Nia Phono stage
McIntosh MC2300
McIntosh MR7083
Sansui CAF1 Preamp & BAF1 Power amp
Sansui AU717
IMF RSPM Mk. IV
Velodyne FSR-18
ADS 1230
Martin Logan Sequel
JBL 250Ti <sold waiting to be picked up

And much more that really isn't a big deal
 
Last edited:
Maybe she'll notice my avatar. :idea: :)

Dave

Well she certainly noticed my E92 335i running an aftermarket intercooler and Cobb tune... Unfortunately due to unforeseen downturns in finances I've had to back the tune out as I can't afford a new clutch :(
 
Back
Top Bottom