• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the best cheap tube pre amp?

djnagle

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I need a pre amp for my desktop and don’t feel like building one. Any recommendations?

Because I’m not listening critically, good sound and cheap price is the goal.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I had bought a cheap hybrid preamp with a headphone jack about 5 years ago to use at my bench for testing amps after either repairing or building them. It sounds good and takes up very little space. There are others like it with aluminum faces. I replacednthe Chinese tubes with a pair of US made substitutes and it sounded much better. All in with new tubes was around $65.
It's a tube driver stage with a discrete single ended SS putput.
 

Attachments

  • 20230314_101007.jpg
    20230314_101007.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 27
I need a pre amp for my desktop and don’t feel like building one. Any recommendations?
If you're amplifying music that's starting life as a digitized computer signal, there's no reason to waste the money and effort on tubes. A good bipolar preamp will get the job done just as well.

Jack
 
I have one of those I use daily. It's not *really* a tube preamp in my opinion since in A/B testing, I can tell no difference in the sound and it provides no gain. It's more a compact switcher with a volume control and remote. If that's what someone needs, it's fine.
This one has no tube at all best I can see. Missed the OP asked for a tube pre.
 
This one, from Nobsound, will probably work just fine for you. No reason to spend hundreds of dollars! Here's the link to Amazon... HERE
 
I've been using this PJM SA-1000 on my desktop since December. Available for around $75
4 inputs 2 outputs
Russian 6H3N tubes are standard. Can also sub 5670's.
As a bonus drives my 32 Ohm Status CB-1 headphones, a few hours a week.
2024-12-07 015.jpg
 
Last edited:
there are some really inexpensive chi-fi tube preamps. the kits are especially inexpensive. you can get a pas for $400 in good shape.
This one, from Nobsound, will probably work just fine for you. No reason to spend hundreds of dollars! Here's the link to Amazon... HERE
you sure thats actually a tube preamp?
 
there are some really inexpensive chi-fi tube preamps. the kits are especially inexpensive. you can get a pas for $400 in good shape.

you sure thats actually a tube preamp?
It's not a tube preamp, but a tube headphone amp, which is what the OP is looking for.
 
I need a pre amp for my desktop and don’t feel like building one. Any recommendations?

Because I’m not listening critically, good sound and cheap price is the goal.
Lots of choices for $50 or so. In addition to Amazon, some eBay sellers seem to have stock that’s already in the US that won’t be affected by the tariffs.

There are 3 threads over on the New Gear Values forum about some of the more popular / basic ones and there are versions that have a variety of other features added if you need them, such as tone controls, headphone outputs, internal DACs, Bluetooth, remote controls, etc.



 
As I set this up I realized a big difference between now and 20 years ago. Back then I had one monitor with good speakers on either side. Now I have two very large monitors which takes up all the space on my desk.

It might have been better to use a sound bar
 
I like the description of the tubes in the add. "Tube Bile Duct". :rflmao:

That translation came up in the SMPS adverts also. It is a simple confirmation that they did not follow The First Rule of translation. No.1 Put it back to original language; it better be Right.

Douglas
 
Back
Top Bottom