• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the best hi-fi tuner ever made?

acabdom

New Member
I drive a Technics ST-X901L, with an indoor cable antenna and, well, it sounds good. But surely there will be better ones, of higher quality. What are they?

Another question, does it make sense to go from the ST-X901L to the ST-X999L.

Thank you for your attention.
 
Register to hide this ad
I drive a Technics ST-X901L, with an indoor cable antenna and, well, it sounds good. But surely there will be better ones, of higher quality. What are they?

Another question, does it make sense to go from the ST-X901L to the ST-X999L.

Thank you for your attention.

Tuner Information Center is pretty much the definitive source on this. They have hundreds of tuners tested and ranked on performance and sound. Cheers, always nice to see people still interested in tuners.
 
Accuphase has made consistently outstanding tuners over the years, from the 1970s T-100 to the current T-1200, which is probably the most sophisticated FM tuner ever made :) And the most expensive :(

Sequerra has also made some legendary tuners.

I agree that the FM tuner info site is an outstanding resource
 
I've tried to like tuners over the past half-century but where I live the quality of available stations is so bad I generally will go to Internet radio instead. Not that I haven't tried: I still have my original stereo Sherwood tube tuner, a Crown FM-3, and several Soundcraftsmen Pro-Tuner Fours. I wish I could understand why anyone would pay a dime for a tuner today? :dunno:
 
Here in Calif, there are lots of good stations reachable with a reasonably sensitive tuner and appropriate antenna.
We have one NPR and one local University station. Both are good, but both are also available to stream online.
 
Accuphase has made consistently outstanding tuners over the years, from the 1970s T-100 to the current T-1200, which is probably the most sophisticated FM tuner ever made :) And the most expensive :(

Sequerra has also made some legendary tuners.
.
I agree that the FM tuner info site is an outstanding resource

This is what I understand as well like you say, a friend told me such who does know, including the Accuphase 1100I believe it is.
It's a sad shame what they have done to FM at present day.
 
I've tried to like tuners over the past half-century but where I live the quality of available stations is so bad I generally will go to Internet radio instead. Not that I haven't tried: I still have my original stereo Sherwood tube tuner, a Crown FM-3, and several Soundcraftsmen Pro-Tuner Fours. I wish I could understand why anyone would pay a dime for a tuner today? :dunno:
Still a couple of stations with good programming and great fidelity where I live. It’s more than that I guess, the radio bug but me years ago and spinning the dial late at night still makes me feel like a bit of a kid again. For background music I have CBC Radio 2 on quite a bit, or UBC university radio sometimes.
 
The good news is there are many fine tuners. The bad news is that the implementation of HD Radio has degraded the signal-to-noise of many. More good news is that many vintage tuners are on the market at very affordable prices. The site fmtunerinfo.com is indeed a fountain of knowledge.
 
Hello, the question of best tuners ever made is a little ambitious. The 10 or so or most significant tuners ever made and a recognized by many as being significant are 1) very expensive still today and 2) those that have them are not selling or they are very rarely on the market.
Maybe the easier question is what is the best tuner currently available. That is the very expensive Accuphase T-1200.

Realistically, a decent tuner (middle of any lists) that is expertly aligned,(this could cost more than the tuner) with a few modifications, and given a good signal from an outdoor antenna will sound amazing. Keep in mind the few radio stations today still transmit good quality source material and do it with minimal post processing.
Oh Technics tuners I don't think land near the top. If you want to stay with Technics maybe look for ST-G70 but really there are very good tuners that are easier to find. Personally, if I was looking for a Technics tuner I would look for the ST-9030 and then make some mods.
Good luck
 
There have been lots of great tuners but be careful about their ability to reject HD radio junk, as mentioned above. See here- http://www.ham-radio.com/k6sti/hdrsn.htm Also good info here- https://groups.io/g/FMtuners

A lot depends on where you live and how good the stations are, both technically and musically. Personally, I wouldn't spend a huge amount on a tuner, just something decent that didn't break the bank and was properly aligned.
 
Accuphase has made consistently outstanding tuners over the years, from the 1970s T-100 to the current T-1200, which is probably the most sophisticated FM tuner ever made :) And the most expensive :(

Sequerra has also made some legendary tuners.

I agree that the FM tuner info site is an outstanding resource

New to this forum however have been a reader for a long time. The breadth and depth of knowledge is impressive. I have a choice of an Accuphase T 101 vs a Carver TX-11a available to me. Any comments would be most welcome. Currently listening on a Luxman T 450.
 
Back
Top Bottom