• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is the one amp you would love to have

This, Raytheon 1962 12AX7`s, Winged C EL34 for the driver tubes, Philips 5R4GYS for the rectifier tube, retained the stock 845`s.

The Raytheon`s brought tone, the Winged C`s brought life and the Philips added space and dimension. The stock tubes were actually good but this combination has taken the 518 to another place.

thanks. EL34's? I thought it needed 6L6's?

did you have transformer hum with the stock rectifier? and if so, did the Philips clear that up for you? not a big deal on mine...not at all...but it's there
 
The EL34`s were recommended by Johnathan Halpern the importer, i went with the Winged C`s because from past experience they are more lively than regular EL34`s.

My amp did have a slight hum nothing major so i bought this https://emotiva.com/products/accessories/cmx-2 and 98% of the hum has been eliminated. I went with the Philips after having the cmx-2 in place so i`m not sure if it would have cured the small amount of hum on it`s own, the Philips has made an audio difference in SQ for the positive, i know some claim rectifier tubes make no difference in SQ but my experience proves otherwise and i highly recommend the Philips rectifier tube which can be purchased from Up Scale Audio. The Philips and Winged C`s made the biggest improvements in SQ and were very obvious and i would change to those before changing the 12AX7`s, just the opposite from what i would have thought as i changed the 12AX7`s first, the stock 12AX7`s are pretty good to be honest.
 
I'd like to try a Modwright KWA150. So, how much trouble am I in for this not being a tubed amp? :)

kwa150front.jpg
Sure, why not the reviews are real good..looks stunning, I picked up a ModWright preamp a few days ago and it has kicked my system up a notch or two. I will be keeping my eye out for more ModWright gear. It would sure match up to my pre.
 
I'd like to try a Modwright KWA150. So, how much trouble am I in for this not being a tubed amp? :)

kwa150front.jpg

I've had mine for a couple of months now and I can say that with the right speakers it is a marvelous sounding amp. It is brutally honest so beware of weakness elsewhere in your system!
 
Well, I have a Modwright LS-100 pre and Vandersteen 5A speakers. I'm not concerned about any weaknesses there. But my VTA M-125s are working nicely, so it's not a big hurry to land a KWA150. :)
 
skriefal

I also have an LS-100 and now Nola KO's, but before that Vandersteen 2CE Sigs, 3A Sigs and Treos. If you want to try a SS amp that matches up with any Vandy I have owned look into the Odyssey Audio amps. The Kismets can be had for less than Dan's 150. If you want to try a Modwright amp a better bet might be a used 100SE. Since you are crossing over to the subs at around 100 hz look for tone not power unless your room is very large. Another amp that works great with Vandersteen is Belles.
 
Tough question. There are several I'd like to try out, both solid state and tube. Don't have any particular one as a goal, as I haven't really auditioned anything high-end for a while. Something like a new Bryston 7B SST Cubed (just being released) or a big VTL tube amp.
 
I can't think of a single "new" amp I want now since I have what I want but a old Onkyo M-508 would make me smile
 
In the less-than-astronomical price range, I wouldn't mind having a pair of Parasound Halo JC1 monoblocks. I think they are around $9000/pr, which is way less than many high end amps. 400W into 8 ohms, 800W into 4. 25W Class A. 18 matched bipolar output transistors per channel.
 
Just got a First Watt J2 in the mail yesterday. Putting it through its paces right now. Very pleased :)
 
Back
Top Bottom