• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Is The One Song That Takes You On Your Biggest Memory Trip?

Franksta

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was just sitting here taking a little break and I decided to play a little music. I have a nice copy of Ray Charles All Time Great Country And Western Hits. I made a nice digital copy of it so I gave it a listen.

What a great album! It was released in 1962. I was 13. "I Can't Stop Loving You" was the first 45 record I ever bought. That was such a great time to be a kid! A young teenager.

When I hear the song especially played on a nice system with the volume up it gives me chills. Not just that it was such a great song (#1 for 5 weeks and high on 3 charts) but the memories it creates. I have many songs that I may prefer to hear but that one makes me remember moments from a time over 50 years ago when things were simpler and I was an innocent kid just having fun during the greatest era ever.

What is the one song that triggers the most memories for you? Not just the good memories but maybe even the bad ones. Perhaps it would be more interesting to talk about the good memories and maybe give a little explanation of why. Thanks! Franksta
 
Register to hide this ad
Wow..that's a tough one for me as I love sooo many songs.

But I'd have to say it would be one that happened fairly early in my life and I can only narrow it down to two:

Jackson Browne's "Child In These Hills" from the "Saturate Before Using" album

Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" from the "Every Song Tells A Story Album".

There are so many more that crop up from time to time but those two still shake me today, giving me chills when I hear them and I go back to another time and another life.
 
nez220.jpg


Papa Nez ... Some of Shelly's Blues

Mike Nesmith started my interest in singer songwriters when I was very young.
 
"Rocket Man" by Elton John

It was very popular when I was in basic training at Ft. Ord, CA. (1972) I have no idea how many times I heard it when we were in the barracks. It takes me back in time more than any other song I know.
 
American Pie.

I was just getting interested in being a radio DJ and was taking a night class at the local top 40 station sponsored by our county education system. When I was just walking into the station that first night, the song was just starting, and the DJ was headed to the little DJ's room. Listening to it off the Pioneer receiver and AR 3ax speakers in the lobby really set the atmosphere.

I also remember Precious and Few, Joy by Apollo 100, Temptation eyes, Don't pull your Love, Sweet City Woman, etc. They were the good old days.
 
Off the top of my head I have to pick two, one was walking into the Weisbaden PX audio club complex and hearing "Running with the Devil" from the Van Halen debut LP for the 1st time in the middle of all that audio gear goodness. Another was going into a keller bar in Frankfurt Am Main Germany pretty well twisted and hearing Gary Numan's "Are friends Electric"?" for the first time.
 
Last edited:
Whilst drinking a cold one with an old friend a couple years back, he says..

"Dude, I GOTTA play ya something."

He put on Men At Work "It's A Mistake" and instantly, I was that 10 year old kid with a portable tape recorder recording Casey Kasem's American Top 40.

We both teared up just a bit. Cannot explain what a weird ride that was, but it encapsulates everything that was perfect with my childhood.

Still love that tune, and play it only sporadically, lest it lose its power.
 
"Spooky" - Smoky Robinson . . . .

. . . . and "Traces" - The Classics IV.

Not the first girl friend. . .. . the most beautiful. :thmbsp:
 
Angie, by rolling stones, reminds me of my first girl friend, we were dating when the song came out in 1972 or 1973 ... somewhere in there...lol
 
Whilst drinking a cold one with an old friend a couple years back, he says..

"Dude, I GOTTA play ya something."

He put on Men At Work "It's A Mistake" and instantly, I was that 10 year old kid with a portable tape recorder recording Casey Kasem's American Top 40.

We both teared up just a bit. Cannot explain what a weird ride that was, but it encapsulates everything that was perfect with my childhood.

Still love that tune, and play it only sporadically, lest it lose its power.

Cargo is a very under rated album, I'm glad I got. (50c @ GW)

For me I'd have to say Camera Eye, Rush.
First time I heard it was on 8 track in my buddies Mustang. I was high and trippin' balls. (it WAS over 30 years ago)
Hallucinated I was in a flying car in a V shaped highway, then once we got to the city we were about 20 stories up. It was raining and the car had a bubble top.
Very Blade Runner-ish even before it came out.
I freaked out when we got to our destination, which was a turnpike rest stop so we could play tabletop Asteroids, quite the hard shift back to reality!
Good times.:smoke:
 
Back
Top Bottom