• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is this Kit? Came with Pioneer PL-61

bfreemannh

Active Member
Pioneer PL-61 turntable. I bought it from a guy on CL for $40. He also handed me this kit to go with it. I cant find any info on the kit and was wondering if anyone knows if it came with the PL-61 or if it had to be purchased separately. I see it has a couple of Pioneer 45 adapters in aluminum finish. Cant find those anywhere on the web, either. I can find them in black. Can anyone put a value on the kit or tell me about it? Is it universal to Pioneer turntables of that error?
 

Attachments

  • 2013-04-18 08.14.28.jpg
    2013-04-18 08.14.28.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 2013-04-18 08.14.36.jpg
    2013-04-18 08.14.36.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 98
  • 2013-04-18 08.14.44.jpg
    2013-04-18 08.14.44.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 93
Register to hide this ad
That looks like a nice kit that may have came with the table or as a 'Pioneer Accessory Starter Kit'. Tube of spindle lube, a pair of head shells, a pair of adaptors for 45's and what look to be anti-skate counterweights. One of the shells looks to have a cart installed. Maybe it was a DJ Kit? I can't think of another reason to have 2 adapters for 45s. I'd say it was a bit of a scroe.
 
The 45 adapters also have built-in overhang measurement for setting up your cart. That's pretty cool (although I don't know about setting the stylus down on the aluminum adapter).
 
That's pretty cool (although I don't know about setting the stylus down on the aluminum adapter).

Why not? I set my stylus down on a steel plate every time I use my Shure tracking force guage. The diamond might scratch the aluminum, the aluminum won't scratch the diamond.
 
Why not? I set my stylus down on a steel plate every time I use my Shure tracking force guage. The diamond might scratch the aluminum, the aluminum won't scratch the diamond.

Sure, and vinyl won't degrade the diamond either. Setting up a cart can be an *intense* process. I'd rather not accidentally drop or drag the stylus over metal if I can avoid it. YMMV.
 
That kit is sweet. It is similar to the one that is included with all the tables but has two headshells and two 45 adapters so it has to be worth millions of dollars as no one has one anymore.

The multiple overhang lines would indicate the 45 thingy is usable with a number of tables so you need to know the overhang for each table to use it properly. The lead sheet is for very light weight cartridges such as some of the ortofons to make them balance on the arm with the stock counterweight. Nice to have that.

The hanging weight and the lateral weight are usually in a box of TT accessories that come with the TT which is what this box looks like. This may be the original box with added 45 and headshell. Does the table have the lateral weight? The hanging weight seems to be from a different table. Maybe this whole kit is from a different table since the 61 does not appear to use a hanging weight (based on the brochure in the akdb). More info on the db does not list the extra headshell or second 45 adapter on the included parts with the table.

Did you get the additional weight for the back of the tonearm?

But if this is a separate Pioneer accessory and not a beefed up kit that came with the TT, it would have a labeled box to put it in and make it presentable for sale. If so, you scored major and it is worth every penny of that million dollars. If it is just a kit from a different Pioneer, it is worth less than half that and you have a nice collection of accessories for your table and what appears to be a spare hanging weight that a number of folks would love to have.
 
Last edited:
That kit is definitely nifty. Great score - I'd think that the accessories are worth at least $40, so you got the TT for free! :yes:

I've never knew that Pioneer had a 45 adapter with overhang demarcation, like Marantz had. I have a similar kit, but yours appears to have 2 of everything. Mine has the black 45 adapter with no lines, but came with a separate overhang guage. Looks like you have 2 lateral weights as well? The PL-61 does use these (although as many people have indicated, their usefulness is debatable).

I'd also be curious if the kit also contained the auxiliary weight for the back of the tonearm.
 
My Pl-600 had a similar type kit
Headshell, weights, 45 adapter, etc.


The owners manual lists the accessories supplied and the one for your tt shows the 'kit' it came with. Styrofoam packaging was standard fare for these from many manufacturers but it is unusual that the kit pictured has two headshells but does not seem to be cut out for two headshells. It contains a hanging weight and the table he got does not use a hanging weight. Leads me to believe he got lucky with a throw in and the PO had another tt at some time and collected all the parts together in this kit. So that major score does make his tt a freebie if he sells the parts. Otherwise, he has a 40 buck tt with a nice set of extras.

Might need to see more of the weight that has the fishing line attached. Further viewing and it does not seem that either headshell is a good fit to the location the way other parts are normally tightly held by the foam. I'd like one of those 45 adapters with all the overhangs marked, good for a number of tables. But whatever I stand by the last statement in the first paragraph.
 
Last edited:
This is a good score, for sure. I also bought a pristine Sony TC-440 R2R from him. It came in the original box with all the packing. It has the original Vinyl cover (unopened), hard cover still in original box (unopened) and original manual. paid $40 for that too.
I emailed the guy and asked him if he could tell me more about the kit. He said that he brought the R2R and TT back from Vietnam (early 70s), used them both for a few years, then packed them away. He didn't remember if the kit came with it. He stated that after he returned, he worked for an audio store as a salesman and it was possible he picked it up there.

Funny, he also gave me a 30+ yo new belt for the TT, but it was disintegrated in the bag. I can only image the belts in the R2R are not any better. I hope the rollers are still good or off they go to Terry.

Not much experience with TT's so it would be hard for me to identify what weights are mounted, I will just spread out the parts and take some good pics of the TT for your analysis.

I already ordered all new belts for both. I will clean and lube them properly before I do any real testing.

Since neither of them have run in decades, I will bring them up slowly with a viriac to reform the caps and check for shorts? Cosmetically, both pieces look fantastic, just need a thorough cleaning. Can't wait to hear them. Glad I could create some excitement with the adapters:) These will be for sale by the way and I will be only be asking half of what they are valued at...so $500,000. I don't want to be greedy.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN2460.jpg
    DSCN2460.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN2463.jpg
    DSCN2463.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN2464.jpg
    DSCN2464.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN2468.jpg
    DSCN2468.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2469.jpg
    DSCN2469.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom