• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is this Magnavox?

jonohull

New Member
I bought this amp/speaker thing at an estate sale, but I can't find any info based on the ID tag inside. Any info would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • 20141206_124844.jpg
    20141206_124844.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20141206_124928.jpg
    20141206_124928.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 20141206_124943.jpg
    20141206_124943.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 236
  • 20141206_124954.jpg
    20141206_124954.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20141206_125005.jpg
    20141206_125005.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 48
Register to hide this ad
That's an amp150. Biamp monaural consisting of two amps on one chassis.

Parallell push/pull 6V6 > 12AT7 for low freq.

Single ended 6V6 > 6AT6 for high freq.

You would need two of these for stereo.
 
That is a S31 powered speaker that could be mated to a matching Magnavox console. For full information on it visit and join www.vintagehifi.net. The amplifier in it is a variant of the Magnavox AMP-150. It's a challenge to use with non matched equipment as its a mono bi-amp unit. It is a high quality unit. Pat
 
I ran a re-built one of those on a pair JBL bass horns and 511Bs with 902s. Sounded incredible.:music:

Yeppers. 25-30 watts of tube goodness. I'm running a pair of 'em from a 24/96 Audiopile sound card into a pair of JBL L80t3s for my 'puter sound. :smoke:
 
BTW OP, you're missing two 6V6GTs right behind that metal box that houses the crossover(front left). The two empty octal sockets on the left and you're also missing the two 5U4GB rectifier tubes on the right side of the chassis. You'll need these tubes to run it.

attachment.php
 
Looks like someone disconnected the amp from the speakers, and used a bunch of 4 conductor cable (looks like TV rotor cable) to drive the speakers. You'll need to figure out how to connect the speakers so they are in phase. The attached Magnavox ocumentation may help. Hopefully, that someone left the speaker plugs plugged into the amp.
 

Attachments

  • amp150part1.jpg
    amp150part1.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 21
  • amp150part2.jpg
    amp150part2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 13
  • amp150part3.jpg
    amp150part3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I found that single ended 6AQ5s made sweeter highs than 6V6s so I made some adapters. The bass was fine though. The cool thing is you have gain pots for the different frequencies. I don't know if the frequencies themselves are adjustable as I never removed that Al cover, but I'd bet it's passive components so no.
 
The four conductor cable is the correct cable for the S-31. It should terminate in a 4-pin plug, configured like the base of a standard 4-pin tube. If the S-31 is used as an extension speaker, it plugs into the 4-pin socket on the back of the source amplifier. You can see the 4-pin socket on the back of the amplifier in the photos. If the S-31 is used as a second channel for a stereo system, it plugs into the stereo preamp in the main unit.

I have a mono Model 295 Continental that was factory modified for stereo. It uses an S-31 as the second channel. My Continental has an AMP150 amplifier and an AMP177 preamp for the second channel. My S-31 has an AMP179 amplifier, which appears to be identical to the AMP150. The 4-pin plug connects to a socket on the AMP177.

The 4-pin plug on the back of the amp is shown on the schematic right at the input jack. Two of the four wires are the hot and return for the signal, the other two wires carry 6.3 volt heater power, I don't know what for, as they are not connected at the S-31 unit.
 
Thanks for all the replies. This is my first tube amp, so I'll use it to learn what's going on. First, it's getting a nice cleaning.
 
Someone was selling an AMP-150 here on barter town. Two of these makes you a very nice stereo rig, but you will need speakers that can work in a bi-amp configuration, and they should match up decently to the stock crossover. I think GordonW tested it to be around 1100hz.
 
I have the mate for this for sale in barter town, just dropped the price to $100 plus shipping. It probably has $100 + worth of tubes in it so your getting the amp for almost nothing. With 2 they will make an awesome stereo!!!
 
I have the mate for this for sale in barter town, just dropped the price to $100 plus shipping. It probably has $100 + worth of tubes in it so your getting the amp for almost nothing. With 2 they will make an awesome stereo!!!

I would be interested in that. I need to get a subscription first to get access to bartertown.
 
I would be interested in that. I need to get a subscription first to get access to bartertown.

Best $25 I ever spent upgrading my system. That's where I found the audiocard that I'm using with my amp150s. There's even a pub in the subscriber's section. Buncha crazies in there Jonohull. :thmbsp:
 
Back
Top Bottom