• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is this Philips receiver?

elitopus

Addicted Member
I’m not familiar with Philips receivers at all. It looks kinda cool.
Any idea of the model number?


71C0B1E0-B3A1-4226-B987-070D8DEDC941.png
 
Register to hide this ad
Those are cool. Better snag it.

7841 (?)

foysuju3rnigvkc1bk89.jpg


No, even higher up the line.
 
I messaged the seller to ask for more info.

Looking at the spec sheets you posted, this looks to be around late 1970’s. I wonder if the black face version was a euro model
 
Defianately the 7871as the 7861 only has 2 lights on the left of the meters and the 7871 has 3 on each side.
as for your comment on black face being euro version thst is incorrect.the philips hi fi lab series of gear all came in either black face or silver.the number 1 denoted black face and without the 1 at the end of the model number denoted silver face.i will also note that some of the hi fi lab seies were built in canada.the recievers use to be relatively under the radar as well as the integrated amps compared to their seperates.i had all their sperates from the hi fi labs as well as all the integrated amps.i only ever had the 7841 receiver and probally do somewhere.a former ak member Brian had alot of the philips recevers and had high praise for them .do a ak search with philips receiver and his user name and youll find numerous posts
as pointed out that is there totl receiver.as a aside there totl integraged amp only put out 80w/ch.
if cheap enoughid pick up that receiver.it can compete with the likes of marantz pioneer etc..
 
I'd give $75 even it didn't work.

Somebody in my college days had one that I played around with, thought it was really nice. The knurling on the knobs, and the way the controls felt when the knobs turned. That one had the black faceplate, it's not Euro. It had a rich sound, very nice. I haven't seen one since then, maybe they're rare.
 
Again thanks for the info. It was just a shot in the dark about the euro thing. It’s cool they were offered in both silver faced and black faced.

I contacted the seller about it. He does still have it. Now I need to find a way to buy it without getting the 3 pairs of speakers (white van looking) and other two receivers (old HT) that come with this package deal.

Btw, I searched eBay for current or completed listings for the Philips 7871. Nothing. So they must be unusual
 
In this case rare does not = valuable! I have had both 7871 and 787 silver faced! When compared to Sansui 5000x or Marantz 2252 or Pioneer SX-880 they sell for peanuts comparately. The 7871 I recall having listed on BT for 200.00 with lots of likes but no real interest. Sold it locally for that same 200.00 after having listed for a few months. Great unit to own and sounds very good. Just dont have high hopes if you wish to resell down the road!
 
I noticed that with the other Philips receivers on eBay. They look really cool but just don’t bring the same money the big brands do.

The seller wants to sell as part of a package deal. 125$ for all. All the other things in the package are close to worthless. I’m trying to get him to sell me just the receiver
 
Nobody would/should buy that crapstack for 125.00! Id offer 75.00 for just the philips. Id go up to 100.00 if you cant test safely. Covid 19 and all!
 
I had to buy a car load of BPC (black plastic crap) for $25.

Seller had a Sansui AU-X701 that he would not sell, because he did not know if it worked. Said he give to me for free if I bought the rest.

The magnificent Sansui did work for several years after cleaning it and tuning it up. It's waiting on a recap now.
 
When compared to Sansui 5000x or Marantz 2252 or Pioneer SX-880 they sell for peanuts comparately.
When compared to Sansui or Marantz, i found the Philips equally underwhelming.

I picked one up many years back from a newspaper classified(remember those?) for peanuts. It was great inspiration to work hard toward something better. I think i loaned it out with the understanding it needn't return.

At the time it was not vintage, it would have been 10 or 12 years old at most. The service issues it had at that point were enough to cool my jets for any more Philips upstream gear. I have all original cheap ass Technics receivers that are now 40 years old and still work as they should.

Maybe the Philips i got was a lemon, or maybe it had seen abuse not evident from it's physical condition. Regardless, the little black Philips receiver left a lasting impression on me.
 
Back
Top Bottom