• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What is your Dream Speaker?

They are in my living room.

I'd have to say my EPI 100's. I've entertained notions of better, but everytime I do, these EPI's surprise me. The EPI 201's look cool. I'd also like to someday have the wood veneer versions of my EPI 100v's.
 
My own loudspeakers come close, especially since someone is designing an active crossover so I can go active. I must tell you I have huge expectations...
But if I ever had the opportunity, I'd love to have a pair of Apogee Scintilla's. I'm not sure my amp would drive them (1 Ohm all the way!), but I'd love to give it a shot.
 
Dream speakers?

Ultimate "wet" dream: Infinity IRS Vs.
Nothing else comes close, but I don't have the room for them; I'd need a whole new home and feeder gear.

Infinity Betas
"The poor man's IRS V"...if he can afford them!

I MIGHT (fingers crossed) get close to a "dream" speaker when I get my DIY dipole or open-baffle line arrays done. I've found enough decent mids, not so sure about the tweets I found (may not be good enough), and have Gradient open-baffle subs for the bottom.

My "ultimate" DIYs would be open baffle line arrays made with "Great" Heil AMTs. I suspect they might very possibly be an acceptable alternative to the IRS Vs, if the mid- and bass-sections were done right.

My biggest "let 'em get away and regret it" speakers I'd like to have got or have another crack at were A/D/S 1290 Mk IIs, with the crossover/amp things built into the lower backs, for $200 total.

EDIT / UPDATE: I got a second crack at a pair of A/D/S 1290s... not the Mk IIs and not with the crossovers, but at a correspondingly lower price. After some thought, I walked away from them. I think I have speakers as good or better now, anyway, and don't really need them any more. Guess I'm over the regret at not getting them! But I'm still waiting for the set of IRS Vs or Betas to appear unexpectedly at some affordable price... :D
 
Last edited:
802 Matrix. Cheap enough now, except there is the pacific ocean between me and those speakers. Few were sold here because of the increadibly high local price (yes, they were expensive everywhere, but some markets paid significantly more).

Does anyone know a Yaughtie that is planning to sail from USA to Australia in the next year, that has some room for ballast?
 
If I ever have the room or the money, I'd like to get a pair of Altec Lansing A7 "Voice Of The Theater" speakers. Altec still makes them, but they go for about $11,000/pair. There are blueprints available for free online on how to build your own cabinet, so I might go that route instead someday.
 
Happy with the KEFs and Altecs, but...a pair of older JBLs, or a set of big ass Infinity columns would be nice; always wanted to play around with a set of old Mac speakers, too.
 
Ones I haven't heard: KEF Maidstone.
Ones I have heard: a big, tall pair of MartinLogans that were blasting away in Tweeter a few years ago. I have no clue what model they were, but the sound was magnificent and they haunt me to this day.
Tom

Were they curved panels with sculpted sides merging into the bass module? Thin wood strips on either side of the panels, about 5 1/2 feet tall?
 
I'd love to get a hold of a pair of LaScalas or Patricians.

Great sound AND beautiful to look at.

But I already have two pair of Imperial 7's, and I'm not complaining.
 
I've got my dream speakers.. Altec A7-500.. Wanted a pair since I was a teen.. I'm finally reliving my youth :D
 
I'd have to say my EPI 100's. I've entertained notions of better, but everytime I do, these EPI's surprise me. The EPI 201's look cool. I'd also like to someday have the wood veneer versions of my EPI 100v's.

Love those 201's but I would have to say that I would choose the EPI 1000's, AKA the towers. First legitimate speaker I ever heard in the early 70's and got me hooked on audio ever since:music:
 
Thiel CS3.7's
Tannoys from the prestige series (Glenairs would be good :))


I'd need a bigger room for both though :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.
 
In no particular order:

1. Apogee Grand (good call wineslob)

2. Genesis 1.1's (good call avionic)....

I'm a planar/ribbon/line-array type of guy these days...:yes:
 
A pristine set of AR 3's with some AR 4x as remote speakers. If i couldn't find those I would get some B&W bookshelf speakers.
 
DQ-10's for me too, as vintageaudio already mentioned. Perfectly upgraded, modded and amped. There's just something about those.
'Course, I'd need a whole new house in Sonoma to put 'em in...

Enjoy the music,
-Mark
 
Back
Top Bottom