• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What Is Your Favorite Integrated Amp?

Just saw some Denon integrateds that looked pretty solid. I just received a new to me MCS 3842. Nothing special at all but I just put it into use and it sounds great and seems to be running pretty cool. It is a Technics under the hood. From 1983.
 
My gifted to me by a friend, Mac MA 6100. :bigok:, :bowdown:
Powered 24/7, since after some minor repairs to one channel`s output stage, and then installed in my workshop`s baby SK rack.
It plays wonderfully clear sounding music all day, every day, with no complaints. :thumbsup:=:music:
 
I have a Luxman LV-113 that I am loving. It even has digital inputs that sound good. Best part, I only paid $25 for it. :D
 
I think we've all seen enough "receiver" threads and questions to last us a couple of years, so let's get down to the REAL "meat and potatoes" gear!

My favorite Integrated Amps - I own one of each of these, big surprise here:

Pioneer SA-9800
Pioneer SA-9500
Pioneer SA-8500II
Pioneer SA-8500
Pioneer SA-9100

Everybody add pictures if you got them. Mine will be added later.



Retro
My first integrated amp (I have owned 3) was in 1965, a Scott 299-D, 80 watt vacuum tube. It was basically one of the last, if not the last, of Scott's tube amps. I loved it but it had a few annoyances, primarily just a speaker on/off switch, without A/B selection. Still, great mode switch, separate bass and treble, good performance. I used it as my primary amp for about 8 years. My second amp, for use as a secondary amp, was a Knight something or another. Tube unit, bought used, it was a piece of junk. An amp should always be able to out perform your speakers in freq response, but this turkey couldn't !! Got rid of it after just a few months. My third, and present amp, bought in 1973, is a Sherwood SEL-400. 85 watts RMS per channel, with 2 tape monitors. Love it, can't think of anything better, especially today's spartan overpriced garbage. BTW, I was an early advocate of 4 speakers in the main room, plus extensions in other rooms. Hence 2 amps. Since 1967, before quad, before home theater. Since then I have used receivers for my secondary amp, plus tuner. Have had mostly Sherwood electronics for amps and receivers, Pioneer for other stuff. Jensen and Altec speakers. Most of my stuff dates back to the 60s and 70s.
 
My first integrated amp (I have owned 3) was in 1965, a Scott 299-D, 80 watt vacuum tube. It was basically one of the last, if not the last, of Scott's tube amps. I loved it but it had a few annoyances, primarily just a speaker on/off switch, without A/B selection. Still, great mode switch, separate bass and treble, good performance. I used it as my primary amp for about 8 years. My second amp, for use as a secondary amp, was a Knight something or another. Tube unit, bought used, it was a piece of junk. An amp should always be able to out perform your speakers in freq response, but this turkey couldn't !! Got rid of it after just a few months. My third, and present amp, bought in 1973, is a Sherwood SEL-400. 85 watts RMS per channel, with 2 tape monitors. Love it, can't think of anything better, especially today's spartan overpriced garbage. BTW, I was an early advocate of 4 speakers in the main room, plus extensions in other rooms. Hence 2 amps. Since 1967, before quad, before home theater. Since then I have used receivers for my secondary amp, plus tuner. Have had mostly Sherwood electronics for amps and receivers, Pioneer for other stuff. Jensen and Altec speakers. Most of my stuff dates back to the 60s and 70s.

Welcome to Audiokarma @Bill Murray!
 
Not high end at all, but I'd love to find an old Radio Schack/Realistic SA-350 or 500 from late 60's, early 70's. Nostalgia really, but I remember the sound of a 500, with a Miracord 40A playing though a pair of Optimus 1's...ahhhhhh :);)
 
I found my way to this thread after searching for information comparing the Pioneer SA-9100 to the Sony TA-1130. I had and sold a SA-9100 and regret it. The Pioneer had a great detailed sound and lots of power for 60wpc. I still have the Sony TA-1130 and love it. I am a big fan of 70's Sony and currently run a TA-2000f and TA-3200f in the living room. I had a Marantz 1060 and a Kenwood that was similar to the Marantz in that it was a 70's integrated amp of approximately the same power. I would love to hear from anyone who has had the opportunity to listen side by side to the Sony TA-1130 and the Pioneer SA-9000. As of now I will hold with my Sony for no other reason than it is the one I have and I like the feel of the volume knob. I'm not sure what that's about but I just didn't like the feel of the Pioneer.

Coming up for me is a Fisher X-101-D. I'm recapping it and hope to have it in the rotation soon. I have a feeling it will by my Integrated amp of all time. Lots to look forward to.

I want to add the thought that allot, if not all, of these favorites people have can out shine all others depending on the obvious things like the condition and age of the unit with or without restoration, but also the interconnects used and how each matches to the speakers being used. I have a feeling the Pioneer SA-9100 would have matched very well with my ADS-1230's Even with 60wpc I think it could make them sing. The 100wpc Sony TA-3200f is doing a fine job though.
 
Just read all the posts on this thread and realized I posted on this one in 2013. I was regretting selling the Pioneer then as I still do today. Allot has changed since 2013 but my regret for selling that one hasn't.
 
most of my setups are separates but I have a number of integrated amps kicking around but really no favorites.

i do like this one as a nice budget amplifier and have one as the heart of my bedroom system.
kenKA7300.jpg
6debaf45375b391120f0064318b834aa.jpg

20211120_193401.jpg

if looking for a schveet little low powered integrated with a warm sonic signature to go with your Klipsch speakers I find the Kenwood KA-4006 fits the bill nicely. I have 3 of these little gems, only one in rotation driving my rear lanai speakers.
Kenwood-KA-4006.jpg
 
This thread popped up again and my post didn't seem quite right, it was the Realistic SA-350 and SA-700 amps I was pining about. With either, I'd make a bedroom system, or an attempt at simulating quad with either powering a pair of Realistic MC-1000's for the rear "ambience."
 
I've owned two Kenwood KA-801s. They both sounded good but oddly, the first sounded much cleaner than the second, even after restoration and adjustments.

By default, my first KA-801 is my favorite, since it's the better sounding of the only model silver face near-totl amp I've owned.
 
Have the Fisher X-101-D restored and burned in. Fantastic! It may be my favorite set up. I put it in place of an Audio Research SP8 preamp and Aragon 2004Mkii. So far it is rich and full as expected. I'm not sure I'm missing much detail either. Makes me think the Aragon amp may be due for a recap.
 
most of my setups are separates but I have a number of integrated amps kicking around but really no favorites.

i do like this one as a nice budget amplifier and have one as the heart of my bedroom system.
View attachment 2456703
View attachment 2456704

View attachment 2456706

if looking for a schveet little low powered integrated with a warm sonic signature to go with your Klipsch speakers I find the Kenwood KA-4006 fits the bill nicely. I have 3 of these little gems, only one in rotation driving my rear lanai speakers.
View attachment 2456728
I concur regarding the KA-4006. Great sounding little amplifier loaded with inputs and features typically only found on higher-powered models.
 
Back
Top Bottom