• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What make is this receiver?

guitar_freak

Active Member
I purchased a lot of equipment the other day and I got this receiver I can’t identify. Apparently this unit was produced by Superscpoe which I have never heard of.it is a Superscope R-330. Can someone help me identify this receiver and it’s estimated worth? No damage and everything works as advertised.

thanks lots everyone.
 

Attachments

  • 00AD25B8-5C82-4FBE-9973-AB68D6C56087.jpeg
    00AD25B8-5C82-4FBE-9973-AB68D6C56087.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 256
Register to hide this ad
Marantz and Superscope had a relationship back in the day (late 70's, early 80's maybe) and it might be from then.
 
I have a pair of Superscope speakers, pretty decent 2 way 8"woof / 3" paper Tweet. I always thought they were connected to Sony, too. 1970's
 
I purchased a lot of equipment the other day and I got this receiver I can’t identify. Apparently this unit was produced by Superscpoe which I have never heard of.it is a Superscope R-330. Can someone help me identify this receiver and it’s estimated worth? No damage and everything works as advertised. thanks lots everyone.

This brings back memories because my first "real" receiver was a SuperScope R-1220 receiver at a whopping 10 (ten) watts per channel! The relationship with Marantz was what sold me, but truth be told, it was the only receiver in the store I could afford (I was probably in 5th grade at the time). The only other choice was an 8wpc Sansui that was similarly inexpensive.

The one in the picture is an R-330. I don't really have an idea about value. I suspect a Harman Kardon 330a or 330b might be a better receiver at presumed price point. A little more info is available here (apparently it is 7 watts per channel) -> https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/superscope/r-330.shtml
 
Correct.
I had a Superscope "Made by Marantz" cassette deck back in the day. Nothing special.
Marantz was owned by Superscope. Marantz got into trouble developing the model 20 or 20B tuner if I remember right. They did keep Saul around to run things for awhile though. They actually kind of split at one point. Philips was cranking out cheaply built 80's gear with loads of buttons and then there was Marantz Japan that tried to keep the brand alive with the high end Esotic line. There may have been a Korean connection also?
 
An attractive case for what is basically a boom box amp. Is the back metal or pressboard?

The build quality is actually quite good on the SuperScope equipment. I think sound quality is also very good. According to that spec sheet, the R-330 weighs 15 lbs, so it seems like it's well-built.

Power-wise, I'm probably in the minority, but I don't look at power ratings almost at all. 7 is on the very low side, but in practice, the old low-wattage vintage stuff seems more than competent in use. I used to listen to music pretty loud back in 1975-ish when I had my SuperScope 10-watt, but unfortunately I don't really remember how well it drove my large Advents at high volume levels.

I eventually replaced the SuperScope with an MCS 3233 (33wpc) receiver and I think it was an upgrade overall, but my memory is a bit foggy.
 
Some R-330 pics here, apparently sold for $150? -> https://offerup.com/item/detail/383208023/

EDIT: Added pics from ad below

47dc207af60f4b34892828d99d27f7f7.jpg


7c831e98089c433db9f31f2133be834c.jpg


96828a84821146fbb29fd52a8317f44a.jpg


992156e4dd784800bb8ef1c3417c3e9a.jpg
 
Last edited:
Power-wise, I'm probably in the minority, but I don't look at power ratings almost at all. 7 is on the very low side, but in practice, the old low-wattage vintage stuff seems more than competent in use.

My daily driver is a 2230, so I'm definitely not part of the monster receiver cult, but 7 watts doesn't leave a lot of headroom. I have an old 10 watt Marantz integrated that I use as a preamp.
 
I purchased a lot of equipment the other day and I got this receiver I can’t identify. Apparently this unit was produced by Superscpoe which I have never heard of.it is a Superscope R-330. Can someone help me identify this receiver and it’s estimated worth? No damage and everything works as advertised.

thanks lots everyone.
Would you be so kind as to post a rear picture?
 
Back
Top Bottom