• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What make is this receiver?

I didn't catch it. Auto correct came out "lights up" instead of "looks like". Chock it up to fat fingers and a tiny touch key pad. :biggrin:
Oh, that isn't what I was referring to. You said the logo was on the left. We x-ray techs make that mistake all the time because our patients usually face us so their left is our right.
 
Ya, right side. I need to look closer before posting. I's cone out 8's, etc. Superscope may have been in the mid-fi end of things, but were still pretty decent. I could just never get over the odd dial light color. Who decided, " ya, that's gonna sell like crazy!? :biggrin:
 
Who decided, " ya, that's gonna sell like crazy!? :biggrin:

It was the 70's baby!! :)

tenor.gif
 
The R-330 was from 1973. My R-1220, which was only 3 years later (1976), had "Marantz-ish" blue lights, not purple. There is no way I would have bought it with purple lighting. It looks like there are blue LED bulbs (and other colors) for the R-330 on eBay.
 
Last edited:
The R-330 was from 1973. My R-1220, which was only 3 years later (1976), had "Marantz-ish" blue lights, not purple. There is no way I would have bought it with purple lighting. It looks like there are blue LED bulbs (and other colors) for the R-330 on eBay.
Full on purple or violet would have been ok. But that almost pink is just off putting. So the bulbs are colored, not pink vellum?
 
Full on purple or violet would have been ok. But that almost pink is just off putting. So the bulbs are colored, not pink vellum?

I don't really know how the coloring is done, but there are lamp kits on eBay for all different colors. Here is the listing photo for an R-330 in blue:

s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg
 
I don't know why I thought it was a 230, it's obviously an R-330.

It looks really cool with the blue lighting.

My $25 dollar guess on the value is probably way low, too.
 
I don't really know how the coloring is done, but there are lamp kits on eBay for all different colors. Here is the listing photo for an R-330 in blue:

s-l1600.jpg


s-l1600.jpg
Hello. I know how this has been done because this is my Superscope R-330. The original lamps are replaced by warm white leds. I you place original 8 volt 250 mA lights, it's magenta (pink) again. So no big chance. The leds are easily placed.
x9kjwfx7j.jpg


Website of the audiomechanic who repared my R-330 and placed the leds: http://www.audiozolder.nl/superscope-r-330-reparatie.html
 
Last edited:
Hello. I know how this has been done because this is my Superscope R-330. The original lamps are replaced by warm white leds. I you place original 8 volt 250 mA lights, it's magenta (pink) again. So no big chance. The leds are easily placed.
x9kjwfx7j.jpg


Website of the audiomechanic who repared my R-330 and placed the leds: http://www.audiozolder.nl/superscope-r-330-reparatie.html
Well, just replacing with warm white LEDs just makes the pink a bit whiter. I tested color with a blue camera gel. First 3 on right are LED and me holding blue gel in middle. I then cut the blue gel into strips to fit in the LEDs and insert them.
Easy to change back for purists and weirdos ;)
It's looking Marantzified now.
PXL_20251206_172332346.MP.jpgPXL_20251206_174952997.MP.jpgPXL_20251206_175915418.MP.jpg
 
Last edited:
Superscope did have some very nice audio equipment but the receivers were entry-level competing with Pioneer's Centrex Line. The line lasted until recently with CD and maybe some digital recorders. Now it's known as the "Pro" Line, I'm unsure if it's part of Denon/Marantz but I don't think it is. They had Sony Tape Players USA distribution rights until 1979, right before the Walkman came out, who knows, it might have saved Marantz from splitting up but they fought with Sony on other issues and Sony was ready to break free.

Oddly they branded the early mid-70's boomboxes with Superscope and they were very expensive. Going into the 80's and 90's they had the CD (portable field recorder, no CD player) and PMD Model Tape Decks which were really nice and priced for mid-level high end. I think Superscope just expanded the Standard Radio Line when they bought the company. Standard Radio was a well-loved Japanese Manufacturer at the time.

Alot of the lower-level stuff was made at Taiwan Factory 0910 and the good stuff was made by Marantz of Japan. There was a thread on here years ago where the poster compared a Marantz Tuner/Amp with a very similar Superscope Tuner/Amp and you can see where the costs were cut. Overall Superscope Products are on the Marantz Coat Tails and sell for more than most entry-level equipment does.
 
The R-330 is indeed made in Taiwan and I'll be trying it along with a 2235B for comparison at 2-3 watts when I find the time.
I cut some walnut veneer to replace the previous mactac fix and it certainly is a nice looking unit with the Marantzification. This one bench tested at about 8.4 w/ch @ 1kHzPXL_20251209_132653964.MP.jpgPXL_20251209_130813313.MP.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom