• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What modern things do you hate/dislike?

Also, younger people grew up already playing with screens.
I've been using screens for decades but I still don't like looking away from the road to hit a spot on a screen to select climate control, then another spot to select seat heaters, then another spot to select the temperature; compared to a fraction of a second glance at the button to see that it is on level 3 and then without looking again reaching and pressing the button two times to cycle through off and then level 1.

On a spring day when it starts out cold in the morning and I get back in the car later, start driving out of the parking lot and realize I have the temperature at 75 from the morning I can, without looking at all, turn the center knob on to turn on the HVAC, then spin the left side knob counterclockwise to run it down to a level where the heater won't be on. It takes a second at most and not once do I have to look away from what I'm doing. That isn't happening with a touch screen.

There are a lot of things about cars that might be annoying that you would only encounter occasionally, but the HVAC type controls are something that tend to get used multiple times each time I drive.

Now, don't get me wrong, for selecting music, navigation or setting vehicle controls like when the doors lock or how long the interior lights stay on, I want a touch screen.
 
I have the temperature at 75 from the morning I can, without looking at all, turn the center knob on to turn on the HVAC, then spin the left side knob counterclockwise to run it down to a level where the heater won't be on. It takes a second at most and not once do I have to look away from what I'm doing. That isn't happening with a touch screen.
Bingo! I have cited that very same example many times regarding the new screen controls. GM invented the absolute PERFECT climate controls back in about 1970. The big 3" center knob with a half red and half blue halo around it - rheostat knob controlling fan speed, and the slider to control vents. You could be driving 100 MPH and adjust the temperature to your exact preferences in 2-seconds with nothing but muscle memory!

The old dash radio was a masterpiece. Big knob on left for Volume, 5-buttons across the middle for stations, big knob on right for manual tuning. You could set that volume knob with total precision for any volume in 1 second - exactly the right volume. Who needs more than 5 stations? :cool:
 
Yea but what are all of those numbers for on what I think is called the dial?

And that vertical pointy thing?

Setting the 5 stations was satisfying.
Tune in the station, pull out the button, push it back in and wallah!

It was mandatory to set a button each for WLS and WCFL in Chicago and toggle back and forth for the best Rock and Roll song of the week.

Don’t forget the tone control under the volume control.
 
Last edited:
Bingo! I have cited that very same example many times regarding the new screen controls. GM invented the absolute PERFECT climate controls back in about 1970. The big 3" center knob with a half red and half blue halo around it - rheostat knob controlling fan speed, and the slider to control vents. You could be driving 100 MPH and adjust the temperature to your exact preferences in 2-seconds with nothing but muscle memory!

The old dash radio was a masterpiece. Big knob on left for Volume, 5-buttons across the middle for stations, big knob on right for manual tuning. You could set that volume knob with total precision for any volume in 1 second - exactly the right volume. Who needs more than 5 stations? :cool:

Hell, both of my vehicles have the all-sliders type climate control. One slider for vents/outlets, one for temp, the third one for fan speed. And a button to turn on the AC compressor. That also can be done by feel, easily, at any speed. Completely change settings in less than a second, reliably.

My radio is a more modern Alpine (same one in each vehicle, for familiarity), but not a lot harder to use. A volume control knob, and a rocker switch to go forward or reverse on tracks or frequencies, and another rocker switch- oriented 90 degrees perpendicular to the first one- that changes folder/band. No problem selecting anything, quickly.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Not especially in a great mood this day, due to a modern "hate"...and it really is a burr in my side in these times!

My total dislike/hatred is for the people (scammers/solicitors/pests/parasites, etc.) who tend to phone you early in the morning or late afternoon around supper time selling a "concept" of want.

They all want to sell/promote/get you on board with some real deal that will make you a better person, or financially enhanced otherwise.

And most times, I have difficulty understanding them, as English is NOT their first language!

I've taken in a couple of specials on TV, wherein the pro's/elected types/specialists who indicate that this is a thriving business, as they tend to prey on the oldsters as well, or people who have little in the way of will-power.

So, how or can this illicit phone activity really be stopped? And of late, many of these nefarious companies are pulling in people who are just lonely, and want to talk with somebody...at a cost at times! Another clientele that has become a mental target!


Can't these "electronic intrusions" be stopped? :dunno:

Q
 
Last edited:
So, how or can this illicit phone activity really be stopped? And of late, many of these nefarious companies are pulling in people who are just lonely, and want to talk with somebody...at a cost at times! Another cliental that has become a mental target!


Can't these "electronic intrusions" be stopped?
:dunno:

Q
Short answer: No, they cannot be stopped.

You can try blocking every single "phish" number you receive, but there are nearly 9 million combinations of 7-digit numbers that don't start with zero. There are 10 billion combinations of 10 digits.

It's part of today's new technology. :(
 
Short answer: No, they cannot be stopped.

You can try blocking every single "phish" number you receive, but there are nearly 9 million combinations of 7-digit numbers that don't start with zero. There are 10 billion combinations of 10 digits.

It's part of today's new technology. :(

Truly sad am I to read your "share".

Like the online "traps" that are out there, one has to be...so precautious in these times.

Q
 
Can't these "electronic intrusions" be stopped? :dunno:
Yes, they could all be stopped by the carriers---if it was in their interest, but it's not in their interest. They can easily detect AUTODIALERS... and block them, but they will never want to reduce call volume. Secondly, all businesses consider the public "fair game" to be fleeced in any way imaginable. Consumer Protection is on nobody's ToDo list.
 
Not especially in a great mood this day, due to a modern "hate"...and it really is a burr in my side in these times!

My total dislike/hatred is for the people (scammers/solicitors/pests/parasites, etc.) who tend to phone you early in the morning or late afternoon around supper time selling a "concept" of want.

They all want to sell/promote/get you on board with some real deal that will make you a better person, or financially enhanced otherwise.

And most times, I have difficulty understanding them, as English is NOT their first language!

I've taken in a couple of specials on TV, wherein the pro's/elected types/specialists who indicate that this is a thriving business, as they tend to prey on the oldsters as well, or people who have little in the way of will-power.

So, how or can this illicit phone activity really be stopped? And of late, many of these nefarious companies are pulling in people who are just lonely, and want to talk with somebody...at a cost at times! Another clientele that has become a mental target!


Can't these "electronic intrusions" be stopped? :dunno:

Q
In a word, no, cannot be stopped. Those nefarious companies fund the legislation, world wide. The only stop is an unorganized rejection of the tech and that isn't going to happen, the genie is out of the bottle, seductive promises, self fueling.
 
In a word, no, cannot be stopped. Those nefarious companies fund the legislation, world wide. The only stop is an unorganized rejection of the tech and that isn't going to happen, the genie is out of the bottle, seductive promises, self fueling.
YUP. Humans lost their supremacy over the world.The unstoppable logic of value extraction from the population has a long way to go yet.
 
Regarding modern hings to hate...........I have a new addition to my list: The bloody automotive KEY FOB.

1. Burning thru batteries like mad.
2. A Chinese Puzzle making it close to impossible to change a battery without multi-page diagrams of how to open the case
3. Up to $500 or more to get a replacement.
4. Very marginal benefit to consumers, but massive benefit to dealerships that must PROGRAM these dumb things
5. Bulky, don't really fit well on keychains or in pockets.
 
Short answer: No, they cannot be stopped.

You can try blocking every single "phish" number you receive, but there are nearly 9 million combinations of 7-digit numbers that don't start with zero. There are 10 billion combinations of 10 digits.

It's part of today's new technology. :(

Truly sad am I to read your "share".

Like the online "traps" that are out there, one has to be...so precautious in these times.

Q
I get virtually NO spam/phishing calls, texts, nor emails. My solutions are as follows, and I recognize they may not appeal to everyone.

1. Avoid google as much as possible. My phone is an Android phone, but I don't have it tied to any google accounts. Apps are chosen, whenever possible, from the Fdroid repository. If an app is necessary that can only be found on GooglePlay, I try to grab it from Aurora or other valid APK secondary site, taking verification precautions. If THAT doesn't work, I do have a completely unused Google gmail account; I login on my phone, (being VERY careful to avoid accepting all of the backup, cloud, and other options it tries to trick you into accepting), grab the app from GooglePlay, then IMMEDIATELY remove the Google account from my phone. When that app needs to be updated, I use the same procedure. There are only two apps I have that require me to use Google to update.

2. Use Proton for mail and calendar stuff. It's a great company, with a perfectly usable free tier. I was, and continue to be, so impressed with the company, products, and functionality that I became a paid subscriber a few years ago and never looked back.

3. NEVER give your phone number to anyone other than friends, family, and trusted, known businesses and healthcare professionals with which you deal with regularly. Grab a free online number (textnow for instance) and use that for any place that requires a phone number that you really don't want to hear from but may need to and an el cheapo second phone to put the textnow app on. It works fine; you make and receive free voice calls and texts as long as you're on wifi. I also use a landline number we had that we discontinued and disconnected many years ago for places that I NEVER want to hear from that require a number. Works fine.... they plug it into their database happily, and I happily never receive any calls from them!

4. Same advice for email addresses... grab a second, third, or fourth email address/alias and use that anytime a business demands an email address and you don't want to provide one. Never use it. I haven't checked the gmail address I mentioned above in years, and never will.

5. Use Signal for texting and video chats. The upside is privacy, but it's a closed system... you can't text or call anyone who doesn't use Signal. Proton also has launched a fairly new video conferencing service that you CAN use with folks not on Proton.

Yes, you do give up some conveniences when avoiding Google, but you gain and regain a lot of things you lose when using Google.

Oh... one more thing. Watch "The Beekeeper" once in a while. It's the feel-good movie of the year for anyone who hates scammers as much as I do.
 
I get virtually NO spam/phishing calls, texts, nor emails. My solutions are as follows, and I recognize they may not appeal to everyone.

1. Avoid google as much as possible. My phone is an Android phone, but I don't have it tied to any google accounts. Apps are chosen, whenever possible, from the Fdroid repository. If an app is necessary that can only be found on GooglePlay, I try to grab it from Aurora or other valid APK secondary site, taking verification precautions. If THAT doesn't work, I do have a completely unused Google gmail account; I login on my phone, (being VERY careful to avoid accepting all of the backup, cloud, and other options it tries to trick you into accepting), grab the app from GooglePlay, then IMMEDIATELY remove the Google account from my phone. When that app needs to be updated, I use the same procedure. There are only two apps I have that require me to use Google to update.

2. Use Proton for mail and calendar stuff. It's a great company, with a perfectly usable free tier. I was, and continue to be, so impressed with the company, products, and functionality that I became a paid subscriber a few years ago and never looked back.

3. NEVER give your phone number to anyone other than friends, family, and trusted, known businesses and healthcare professionals with which you deal with regularly. Grab a free online number (textnow for instance) and use that for any place that requires a phone number that you really don't want to hear from but may need to and an el cheapo second phone to put the textnow app on. It works fine; you make and receive free voice calls and texts as long as you're on wifi. I also use a landline number we had that we discontinued and disconnected many years ago for places that I NEVER want to hear from that require a number. Works fine.... they plug it into their database happily, and I happily never receive any calls from them!

4. Same advice for email addresses... grab a second, third, or fourth email address/alias and use that anytime a business demands an email address and you don't want to provide one. Never use it. I haven't checked the gmail address I mentioned above in years, and never will.

5. Use Signal for texting and video chats. The upside is privacy, but it's a closed system... you can't text or call anyone who doesn't use Signal. Proton also has launched a fairly new video conferencing service that you CAN use with folks not on Proton.

Yes, you do give up some conveniences when avoiding Google, but you gain and regain a lot of things you lose when using Google.

Oh... one more thing. Watch "The Beekeeper" once in a while. It's the feel-good movie of the year for anyone who hates scammers as much as I do.

Excellent ideas...all! :trebon:

Some I hadn't heard of before your share.

Q
 
The other day it hit me that it was a bit ironic that the generation that truly embraced doing everything online, which led to loads of retail stores closing, is now faced with the most common jobs available being just delivering things that were ordered online.
When there were lots of large retail establishments, people could start out at the bottom and over time work their way up to a decent paying sales or management job. There would be loads of different stores to change to for better pay or work environment and in those different jobs they could meet all sorts of people that might help them out down the road with a better job. Many times over the years I met someone at a job that recommended me for a better job somewhere else because they liked the way I worked. Online delivery jobs, for the most part, don't have that.
Yep. Same thing happened to me! BTW, I heard one state is pushing for a $25 an hour minimum wage because "everyone should be able to make a living". Yeah, if such a law had been in effect when I was in my late teens, I couldn't have gotten my entry level job that was my springboard to everything that followed. Sometimes, a poorly sought out solution only makes the problem worse. Adults understand that. It comes down to this: Before you tear down a fence, be sure you understand why I twas built in the first place.
 
Spam is annyoing.
Here you still get flyers into the mailbox, which is annyoing and bad for the envoirement.
But I don't like that most people in Romania can't - a lot don't want to write with diacritics on the internet. ă, â, î, ş, ţ. â and î are the same sound, but you use them according to the word: Român, început, reînceput... . It not so hard to learn, but they won't...
 
Spam is annyoing.
Here you still get flyers into the mailbox, which is annyoing and bad for the envoirement.
But I don't like that most people in Romania can't - a lot don't want to write with diacritics on the internet. ă, â, î, ş, ţ. â and î are the same sound, but you use them according to the word: Român, început, reînceput... . It not so hard to learn, but they won't...
I still like the original Spam every now and then. :)

52cc364a-6195-4d62-99b3-ae13fa95e5eb.jpg


Sorry for the misdirect! The Devil made me do it.
 
Back
Top Bottom