• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What modern things do you hate/dislike?

Modern old people are such whiners these days.

I can remember when good old fashioned old people would be grateful for their good fortune and how they went about earning their station in life. They had to overcome uncertainty and hardship. Modern old people think punching a clock for 25 years at some desk job qualifies them to judge subsequent generations. As if.

These modern day old people are soft and weak and think other people's happiness somehow diminishes their own.

Old people sure aren't what they used to be.
I'm 72 and I feel for young people today. I became a COBOL programmer back in 1983 and I could pretty much write my own ticket. I used to say it was like getting a degree in engineering right after WWII. The world was your oyster (as far as hourly jobs go). As with future generations I saw a world that was going to be better than the ones my parents lived in. AND IT WAS!

But for the first time in American history, that's not the case. There are a LOT of things in the world today (not just the US) that need to be fixed pronto or we're in deep Doo-doo. I'll be fine because at my age, nothing scares me, and I know I'm close to the end of this particular journey. But if I was in my 20's or 30's...:(

I look at it this way: Since WWII we've been borrowing from the future and figured the future could handle it when the bill comes due. Welcome to the future.

BTW, I don't blame current leaders for this really. They've been put in a no-win situation by the leaders of the last 12 decades. They are each coping in the way they think is best. But like I said, it's no-win.
 
Almost all the old people I hang around (since I'm old myself) aren't complaining. And they would agree with you on the third world comment. I'm 72, living off social security, and living the best days of my life! But the main "worldly" action I took that allowed that to happen was 15 years ago moving from Seattle to rural Kentucky. I couldn't afford a cardboard box if I still lived in Seattle. but out here I live on this, which I own free and clear. Not because I had a lot of money, but because it's DIRT CHEAP.
1781806889865.png
 
Upsells on almost every app/program/software I use.

I turn on my computer in the morning... before I can start work, a popup comes up from the VPN service I pay for, demanding my attention. It says that for just $5 more I can get additional protection. I click decline protection that will save me from online predators.

Load a PDF... before I can view that document, another popup... for just $12.99/mo I can edit/manipulate/send this document. Decline.

Go to watch a show on a paid streaming service... another popup.. for just $4.99 more I can have more content with fewer commercials.
 
Upsells on almost every app/program/software I use.

I turn on my computer in the morning... before I can start work, a popup comes up from the VPN service I pay for, demanding my attention. It says that for just $5 more I can get additional protection. I click decline protection that will save me from online predators.

Load a PDF... before I can view that document, another popup... for just $12.99/mo I can edit/manipulate/send this document. Decline.

Go to watch a show on a paid streaming service... another popup.. for just $4.99 more I can have more content with fewer commercials.
Like the mafia selling protection to the corner diner.
 
Almost all the old people I hang around (since I'm old myself) aren't complaining. And they would agree with you on the third world comment. I'm 72, living off social security, and living the best days of my life! But the main "worldly" action I took that allowed that to happen was 15 years ago moving from Seattle to rural Kentucky. I couldn't afford a cardboard box if I still lived in Seattle. but out here I live on this, which I own free and clear. Not because I had a lot of money, but because it's DIRT CHEAP.
View attachment 3785219
Nice! Very nice!

A little bit of "Heaven" in this confused/crowded world, eh?

You've added pleasant years... to your lifeline. :thumbsup:


Q
 
Old people sure aren't what they used to be.
This will always and forever be true - for the obvious reason that people do NOT like constant change, or rapid change. That's a universal aspect of human nature. However, all the strategies that drive "civilization" are based entirely on constant and steady change in order to build concentrated wealth. In a static environment, wealth builds very slowly. That is completely unacceptable to civilization's architects. The global scheme of "production-consumption" has to grow as fast as capital can make it grow - which turns out to be around 6% per year compounded.

Here's a good example of it in effect. Old people for years had cars with a known location of the climate controls and radio controls. Then, for no good reason aside from increasing profits, cars did away with those buttons in favor of computer menu screens that can not be operated safely in a moving car. This is going to be very upsetting for old people because it offers them no benefit, only a hassle. Multiply that effect by millions of changes, and you get unhappy people.
 
Then there's the element of having so much time on their hands, and nothing to do but find fault. Just another human "foible" in growing old.
The IDEAL human life would be free at all times. In the human history, "jobs" for example, are a brand new phenomenon in the 2-million year history. Having time is the goal, not a problem to be solved with busywork. Humans are the only animals on the planet to have decided their purpose in life is to make cargo - at the expensive of the air, water and food!
 
This will always and forever be true - for the obvious reason that people do NOT like constant change, or rapid change. That's a universal aspect of human nature. However, all the strategies that drive "civilization" are based entirely on constant and steady change in order to build concentrated wealth. In a static environment, wealth builds very slowly. That is completely unacceptable to civilization's architects. The global scheme of "production-consumption" has to grow as fast as capital can make it grow - which turns out to be around 6% per year compounded.

Here's a good example of it in effect. Old people for years had cars with a known location of the climate controls and radio controls. Then, for no good reason aside from increasing profits, cars did away with those buttons in favor of computer menu screens that can not be operated safely in a moving car. This is going to be very upsetting for old people because it offers them no benefit, only a hassle. Multiply that effect by millions of changes, and you get unhappy people.

And lacking buttons/knobs is bad. Because you know where a button or a knob is. With touch screen, you have sometimes to look on the screen and this isn't the best ideea when you are driving. Some cars manufacturer I've heared that they are comming back to buttons.
I like push
Well, I'm playing a cassette now and watch the vu-meters. V.F.D. Both on the player and on the amplifier. I'm no car driver, I would like to have casseette player on my car, but I would so like to have linear or arch speedometer. Digital speedometers, as long they are showing the speed, are good, but if they imitate the classic round speedometere, they aren't. A linear or arch speedometer is more easy to follow and can be made also digital...
New light advertising. Yes, L.E.D. is more efficient, it's simpler, but it isn't so beatiful.
Automated doors on elevators cabins.
Parents not propreply teaching young folks some things. O.k., idiotic parents where before. But darn, you are at a pedestrian crossing, the car stop and 2 young boys are overpassing it and nearly hit me... There is a sign that indicates there is a pedestrian crossing. It's not good thing to swear teens, but I couln't help. Oh, not even older cyclist don't know thing. And some above 26 years old people are having stupid accidents related to trams (streetcars) or light rail vehicles.
Building with windows from the floor to the celling. I don't like to be an expo.
Books that are beatifuly designed, but they don't contain too much info, so they are expensive for nothing...
 
How much time do you have? Just about everything modern. Yes I live in the stone age, it's much quieter there
with the exception of the occasional T-Rex roaring and they scare off easy.
Just a short list off the top of my head, Cellphones, TV programing, Car and Truck designs, Prices, Appliances, People, etc., etc.
 
I will just limit myself to one like and one dislike in the area of Sports

Like: I like the new rule in baseball that allows the batter or the pitcher/catcher to challenge a ball/strike call. Limiting it to only 2 challenges (unless your challenge is successful) per 9 innings does not slow down the game and keeps enough of the human element in the game. It also has introduced a bit of new strategy to the game.

Dislike: The seemingly never ending reviews in the NBA as to whether a foul is “flagrant”. These things take way too long to review and it seems almost every foul regardless of the type of foul gets reviewed. Clarify the definition of a flagrant foul and limit the number of these reviews so that we can avoid these frequent and lengthy reviews.
 
Personally, I really do hate to go through a self-serve check-out station!

Why? Because it takes away human interaction, jobs, and there's no reward for doing this! There should be at least a 5% reduction in end cost.

Plus there's the need for added/increased security to deal with those who want to "beat" the system with nefarious/sneaky methods.


Just a bias for me. And I've heard that they've dropped this pay-out system in some countries, and even a few in N. America.


Q
 
Last edited:
Walmart relies heavily on self checkout. Then, they put a employee at the door to ask to see your receipt. Of course they don't actually check the receipt against the stuff in your cart, it's just eye wash.

When i first encountered this, I decided in principle not to ever show my receipt- and I never have. A couple of times over the past few years the receipt checker would say, "I need to see your receipt, sir." My reply always worked in my favor.
"You have 3 choices: One, if you think I stole something, call the police, and store manager over here, and we'll do an accounting on the spot. Two, you can provide me a cash refund, and you get all this crap back. Three, step aside and let me be on my way."
 
The world was your oyster (as far as hourly jobs go)
The other day it hit me that it was a bit ironic that the generation that truly embraced doing everything online, which led to loads of retail stores closing, is now faced with the most common jobs available being just delivering things that were ordered online.
When there were lots of large retail establishments, people could start out at the bottom and over time work their way up to a decent paying sales or management job. There would be loads of different stores to change to for better pay or work environment and in those different jobs they could meet all sorts of people that might help them out down the road with a better job. Many times over the years I met someone at a job that recommended me for a better job somewhere else because they liked the way I worked. Online delivery jobs, for the most part, don't have that.
 
Here's a good example of it in effect. Old people for years had cars with a known location of the climate controls and radio controls. Then, for no good reason aside from increasing profits, cars did away with those buttons in favor of computer menu screens that can not be operated safely in a moving car. This is going to be very upsetting for old people because it offers them no benefit, only a hassle. Multiply that effect by millions of changes, and you get unhappy people.
I'd like to see some numbers on which age groups like and don't like having buttons and knobs for controls they use multiple times every drive. If that can be categorized as an old/young issue, I would think it is because more younger people have accepted being distracted while driving. Modern safety features in cars have convinced them that they are better drivers than they are.
 
I've seen a disappointing trend where adults often look to kids for approval. There was a time when kids aspired to be grown up so they could fit in with and have the approval of adults. Yet now it seems to go the other way a lot of times.

Sure, some will say it is just adults embracing their inner child and it is a good thing, but the process of growing up used to change people in ways that made them better able to function in society. I've seen enough grown 'men' throwing tantrums on the road to tell me they are more than embracing their inner child, they are still mentally children.

I read a book awhile back about the death of childhood. They said that the loss of innocence and no longer having isolation from the worlds problems has made childhood a thing of the past. I know first grade teachers that say most of their students have seen all the Saw movies.

The process of growing up used to slowly teach kids that as they gained the ability to do things they also gained responsibility.

When we were 7 we wanted to be 13 so we could do more things and have more freedom. And with the ability to do more things came the need to do more chores to have more money to do those things. Then when we were 13 we wanted to be 16 because that meant a license and freedom. And with the license came the need for more work for more money to pay for gas and the places you could get to. At 16 we wanted to be 18 because that meant college and more responsibility. At 18 we wanted to be 21 and at 21 we thought of graduating, getting a job and making a life.

Now at 7 the kids get driven everywhere they want to go, get most of the things and money they want, stay up as late as they want, eat what they want, watch R rated horror movies, and rarely if ever get told 'no'. So why look forward to the other stages in life? Why grow up and take on more responsibility when you already have everything the way you want it? There is no need to take on more responsibility, work harder, learn to cope with disappointment or frustration in not getting what you want.

I had a boss once that was complaining about all the housework he needed to do. I commented that he had a teenager, and isn't that what they are supposed to help with. His response was "It is more work to get them to do it than to just do it myself". He missed the point that having them do things wasn't about getting those things done, it was about teaching his kid about work and rewards and how to be a functional part of society.

Now we end up with 35+ year-olds, with maturity and coping skills of a 7 year-old, that throw a tantrum because they think someone wronged them on the road.
 
people could start out at the bottom and over time work their way up to a decent paying sales or management job.
i.e. SEARS used to be the best at creating careers like you described in retail. The private equity decided they could make a few bucks dismantling Sears. And then, dismantled many other retailers, which has led to one thing: Online purchasing. Oh, and all that was after private equity dismantled Americas malls. They are now ferociously at work dismantling home town vetranarian offices, and trailer parks!
 
I'd like to see some numbers on which age groups like and don't like having buttons and knobs for controls they use multiple times every drive. If that can be categorized as an old/young issue, I would think it is because more younger people have accepted being distracted while driving. Modern safety features in cars have convinced them that they are better drivers than they are.
Driving is a full time job.
 
I'd like to see some numbers on which age groups like and don't like having buttons and knobs for controls they use multiple times every drive. If that can be categorized as an old/young issue, I would think it is because more younger people have accepted being distracted while driving. Modern safety features in cars have convinced them that they are better drivers than they are.
Also, younger people grew up already playing with screens.
 
The private equity decided they could make a few bucks dismantling..
The whole private equity buying out places and killing them things is really interesting. At first it didn't make sense to me how killing a company could be good. Even selling off assets was odd since the sale was to fund the company running longer, but then I saw a great explanation. They take a fee on everything they do for the company. Sell off the property the buildings are on? They get a percentage of the transaction. Take out loans the companies will never be able to pay back? They get a percentage of that.
 
Back
Top Bottom