• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What modern things do you hate/dislike?

Modern Things I Hate: Cars that have the battery mounted in the trunk, and that have electric trunk releases, so you can't get to the battery if it dies :(:(. You also can't get to it if you accidentally close the trunk with the battery disconnected :(.

Examples are Alfa Giulia and Porsche 996.2 (there are many more)
12V battery, jumper cables to main lug on starter. Problem solved.
 
everything after carburetors!!!!
I had less trouble with EFI than carbs over the 40+ years I turned wrenches for a living. Far less. Carbs wear. EFI not so much.

As first seen in George Orwell's 1984.

Remember that big brother is watching you. Always watching you...
I wonder if Orwell had anything to do with my disdain of the idiot box? 67 and never owned one. Watched? Sure but not a part of my life. Wasn't a conscious decision I just never got around to having one.
 
I can't even pay for parking because the only option is via SMS, and my phone has a misconfiguration that prevents me from sending text messages—and I haven't been able to figure out the cause. I don't think it's right for someone to be required to own a mobile phone or an internet-connected device just to park or access various instructions.
 
Walking down to the thrift store, today's summer heat brings another to mind. It use to be that you could leave your garbage cans in the back for pickup. Today, the job is outsourced to a private company that requires the cans to be put out front and you can't leave the lids on for they will be broken or lost. The stink when you walk down the street in the heat!
 
Walking down to the thrift store, today's summer heat brings another to mind. It use to be that you could leave your garbage cans in the back for pickup. Today, the job is outsourced to a private company that requires the cans to be put out front and you can't leave the lids on for they will be broken or lost. The stink when you walk down the street in the heat!

I ALWAYS had to bring my trash pails to the curb no matter where I lived.
 
I hate dealing with the auto stop/start feature on newer vehicles. It has to be one of the worst government mandated items done to automobiles. Aside from the annoyance, this kills starters and turbos due to wear and tear along with oil starvation to the turbos dozens of times a day. All this is done to get a few tenths more miles per gallon.
 
12V battery, jumper cables to main lug on starter. Problem solved.

I defy someone to access the starter from under the car or under the hood, on any of the cars mentioned on this thread, that had this problem. Maybe after taking apart 3 to 4 layers of things between the outside world under the car, and the starter, you might actually SEE the starter in some cases. I doubt it in others.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
I hate dealing with the auto stop/start feature on newer vehicles. It has to be one of the worst government mandated items done to automobiles. Aside from the annoyance, this kills starters and turbos due to wear and tear along with oil starvation to the turbos dozens of times a day. All this is done to get a few tenths more miles per gallon.
You touched on something I find amazing. The quality/longevity of today's starters and alternators. Had a Jeep that saw lots of off road and harsh duty. Alternator lasted 13 years and 160K (I think) miles. Starter was till good when body rot made me give up on it @ 217K miles and 17 years. It saw immersions in puddles mudholes rivers streams you name it. My '17 WRX is in all OEM @166K miles. Harley's got 75K on it and all OEM. The stuff used to be 3-4 years average when I was younger. Some stuff really is way better than it usetabe.
 
You touched on something I find amazing. The quality/longevity of today's starters and alternators. Had a Jeep that saw lots of off road and harsh duty. Alternator lasted 13 years and 160K (I think) miles. Starter was till good when body rot made me give up on it @ 217K miles and 17 years. It saw immersions in puddles mudholes rivers streams you name it. My '17 WRX is in all OEM @166K miles. Harley's got 75K on it and all OEM. The stuff used to be 3-4 years average when I was younger. Some stuff really is way better than it usetabe.

My 1994 Mazda Protege still has its original factory starter and alternator, at 32 years of age and 237K miles. Not a hint of trouble with either.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Just a guess on my part, but looking at whole fleets of car models, a few tenths/gallon saving across hundreds of thousands of cars, probably effects the overall fuel savings benchmark required to be met...yes. by the feds, of course. But it was probably some companies' egghead that came up with shutting off the engines...plus that few seconds off, across fleets, probably lowers emissions totals.

Again just a guess, I have no inside infomation...
 
I defy someone to access the starter from under the car or under the hood, on any of the cars mentioned on this thread, that had this problem. Maybe after taking apart 3 to 4 layers of things between the outside world under the car, and the starter, you might actually SEE the starter in some cases. I doubt it in others.

Regards,
Gordon.

Definitely true for many modern cars. The Alfa requires you to jack up the whole front end, remove 19 bolts on the undertray pan just to get to the oil drain plug. That pan also acts as a catcher for stray tools -- everything is so hard to reach under the hood that you drop tools, and you can't get them back without removing the pan. Last time I had a shop service it, I gave the mechanics a list of tools to retrieve, he found them all.
 

Many cities in our area switched from coins to Park Mobile. I don't do pay parking very often so every time I do whatever login was registered in the app was lost, so I had to do a password recovery (I think they finally fixed that, but it was that way for years). It also would default to an expired credit card, and there was no way to delete the card, and it's not easy to change to the correct card (not sure they fixed that, I only use it every few months so I don't remember).

It's better now, but I used to send my family to restaurant for our reservations and told them what to order for me while I stayed spent 15 minutes fiddling with the app so it would allow me to take my money. This was literally every time we went out for a couple of years. I think it also costs something like 40 cents in addition to parking fee, and then if you want to extend the time, it charges another 40 cents to change in addition to whatever the additional parking fees. Something along those lines. I despise that app because it drove me nuts for a couple years, though it does largely work now (now it's just a bit of a ripoff on transaction fees).
 
I read somewhere the other day that the stop start feature save between 7% and 23% on fuel.

Can't recall where.
 
Back
Top Bottom