• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What reel to reel decks do y'all use?

Eagerly Awaiting.......

a newly purchased AKAI 4000DB reel to reel. Yay! I was intimidated by them when I was young, then I was too busy with my charming husband and children, Now, after all this time, I get to indulge myself with my new favorite toy! I uploaded some photos to make my older brother cry, but you can see them too if you like. He WILL cry, because he used to have a MONSTER Pioneer R2R, but got rid of it years ago.


http://www.flickr.com/photos/45076446@N04/sets/72157641593514594/
 

Attachments

  • Akai 4000DB.jpg
    Akai 4000DB.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 10
Teac A3300S in use, but needs repair to get the record function working. (Have the parts, calibration may be an issue.)

Have an AKAI 4000DB, not in use, bought a few years ago because I had one as a teen and wanted it again, also I still have a lot of tapes I made on that machine with Dolby, and I'm not sure an outboard Teac Dolby unit will make the tapes sound as good.
 
The RTR I have is a Kenwood KW-8077.I bought it in 1971 at a military base Audio Club store.
Some of it's better features include a 6 head system for bi-directional recording and playback...auto-reverse...a 3 motor tape transport system...a 5 step graphic equalizer control and micro-touch control buttons.
All functions still perform with no negative issues what-so-ever.
The feed-back I'm getting from this site is giving me the feeling that there isn't a lot of Kenwood RTR's out there...how 'bout it,yes or no?
 

Attachments

  • SAM_0413.jpg
    SAM_0413.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 18
  • SAM_0408.jpg
    SAM_0408.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SAM_0414.jpg
    SAM_0414.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
My steady decks around here: Tascam 44OB, Teac X-1000R, Akai GX-4000D and Teac A-2300 + A-2300SD.
Many more around but these 5 are the keepers :)
 
The one's I actually USE... My Studer A810 and Otari MX-5050BIII. The BIII is converted to 1/4 track record/play.
 
My favourites are Revox, here are all the reel to reels I currently have:

Revox A700 (two)
Revox B77 MKI
Revox B77 MKII (three)
Revox PR99 MKII

Tandberg TD20ASE
ASC 6002 (two)
Uher Report monitor 4000
Uher report monitor 4200

Tascam TSR8


Regards
John
 
My MAIN reel to reel deck is an: Akai PRO-1000, for playback, using its 1/4 track head. Other working and up to spec units include: a GX-625, GX-600d, GX-255, two GX-266D MKII's; an Akai 1700, and a 1710; a Sansui SD-7000; a Kenwood KW-8077; and two Uher 4400 Report Monitors.

Other semi-working (probably in need of some or a lot of work) reel decks include an Akai GX-650, GX-400D, GX-400D-ss, GX-267d; a Kenwood KW-8077; a Tandberg 9200xd, 9100x, 9000x; and a second Sansui SD-7000.

Units in need of repair include: A Pioneer RT-909, RT-707; Akai GX-635d, GX-266d MKII, another GX-266d MKII, two GX-77's, a 1700, M-7; Kenwood TT-50, Tandberg 9000x, 3300x; a Sony TC-765, Two Sony TC-558's, TC-366, and a TC-521.

As I have two of those Kenwood KW-8077's, one was working well, while the other one had a tendency to stop in the middle of playing, for no good reason, refusing to continue. I think of my three Kenwoods, one also has a bad switch in the electronics box.

Overall, these Kenwoods are very neat machines with weird custom relays inside. In all likelihood, these Kenwood sets need some caps and transistors replaced 40+ years later, as they use a whole bunch of the same transistors that always are seen failing in the later 1970's, and early 1980's Akai's.

The Kenwood TT-50 looks almost the same as the KW-8077, and it uses similar, almost identical electronics to the KW-8077, but the TT-50 has a single motor transport which uses lots of belts and wheelies to try to do what the KW-8077 does with 3 motors. I doubt you could find a TT-50 that is working to original specs forty+ years later.

I only know of one other Akai PRO-1000 owner, who also had more than thirty other reel to reel decks, I wonder if he still has them? You out there Dave?

-Steven


The RTR I have is a Kenwood KW-8077.I bought it in 1971 at a military base Audio Club store.
Some of it's better features include a 6 head system for bi-directional recording and playback...auto-reverse...a 3 motor tape transport system...a 5 step graphic equalizer control and micro-touch control buttons.
All functions still perform with no negative issues what-so-ever.
The feed-back I'm getting from this site is giving me the feeling that there isn't a lot of Kenwood RTR's out there...how 'bout it,yes or no?
 
Back
Top Bottom