• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What SS do you think comes closest to tubes?

fiddlefye

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Quite a few years ago I realized that if I wanted to listen to audio in my little listening room I would have to switch out the tube power amp for something that produces less heat. I went on a little quest to try to find a SS power amp that came as close to the sound of my tube amp as I could manage. I went through several of the amps usually cited, a number of Quads etc. and finally ended up with a McIntosh MC-250 as the closest I have found. Maybe it's the transformer outputs, but mine sings with the same sweetness as the EL-84s.

What amps have you tried that worked for you? I know other folks must have the same issues to work with....
 
Register to hide this ad
Class-A amps would be the usual suspect.
However, they run hot. Hence not much advantage over tubes.

Another candidate would be MOSFET.
I once had a Redgum RGi60. A great tube-sounding amp.
Often referred to as '300B on roid'.

Rega Brio-R wasn't too bad either.
 
I have one MC50 but can't say. The Adcom GFA-535 is supposed to be especially nice but I haven't made the comparison to my Fishwin P/P 6L6 amp yet.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
 
Philosophically I would think the MOSFET and Class A amps would have come closest, but of the amps I actually tried it was the transformer output one that actually had the sound I was looking for.
 
Well no SS actually sound exactly like tube.

Then again, it's not like tubes all sound alike.
 
Ok I have to call this one.

If either a tube amp or a SS amp has any other sound than that of the source, who wants it?

What does a tube amp sound like? :D
What does a SS amp sound like? :D
 
Classe CAP amps. Your in Canada and should have an easier time tracking one down since they were made over in Quebec. With some patience of course.
 
Well no SS actually sound exactly like tube.

Then again, it's not like tubes all sound alike.
So true. In my case it was trying to find a near match to my CJ. If I'd been trying to match a different amp maybe my choices would have been different.
 
Philosophically I would think the MOSFET and Class A amps would have come closest, but of the amps I actually tried it was the transformer output one that actually had the sound I was looking for.

And it seems you like the Mac house sound?

The new MC 275s sound so clean and the newer Mac SS amps sound so warm that there is hardly a separation of the products these days.
 
The mid 1970s V-FET amps are supposed to have a very tube like sound. To my ears, my Sony TAN-8550 V-FET sounds similar to my Citation 2 tube amp (both amps rebuilt).
 
I always thought some cap coupled SS amps sounded like tube amps. I have a Marantz model 1060 that did before a major upgrade. A model 16 I have has a warm sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom