• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What SS do you think comes closest to tubes?

In my experience the closest I've heard are the Pass Aleph series from the 1990s, the single-ended class A units shaped like Borg cubes.
 
The question should be which tube amp sounds more like SS. I'd go for a MC2301. And I bet if you put a pair 2301 up against MC2300 the 2301's would win at any power level. That's a scary thought.
 
Which SS amps sound like Tubes? Well...

It depends on what qualities of a tube amp you are looking for. If its that warm sound (with respect to a slightly elevated mid range) we can voice a SS preamp or power amp to do that. If you want the low damping factor effects of a tube power amp, That is a different matter. Some speakers may sound noticably better with low damping factors, With most speakers however it's not an issue. If you want the 3-D effect of a single ended tube amp, We can do the same thing with a single ended SS preamp or power amp, But I think few do.

Also SS power amps maintain a very flat frequency response over a wide impedance, Not so with tube power amps, that's why the speakers impedance should be matched with the proper transformer tap. So many speakers will sound different with tube amps and SS, irregardless of how close everything else is. There may be exceptions. But generally these factors may help explain why tube amps are still in demand.

If the audio section of a source is tubed, or a tube/SS hybrid, they can produce the effects a tube preamp produces as well, depending on their design.
 
Last edited:
The question should be which tube amp sounds more like SS. I'd go for a MC2301. And I bet if you put a pair 2301 up against MC2300 the 2301's would win at any power level. That's a scary thought.

I thought my pair of ex-MC275V's sounded like solid state.
 
One of the amps I use is an Audio Research 100.2. Not going to get into whether or not it sounds like tubes but it sounds very good. Smooth, detailed, etc.
 
To me, tube gear, regardless of voicing, is not fatiguing.
That's expensive to do with SS gear. I've heard it, but in my limited experience, never in anything inexpensive.
 
Early David Hafler ss gear was well regarded back in the day. Given his immense expertise in tube amplifiers, designing and building t-formers for tubes, he should have been able to voice a decent SS amp.
I have a small D.Hafler 120w amp/D.H. pre that I bought new in the early 80's, and I still like it. I have them paired with some Bozak B302a's, and they play nicely together.

Plinius is another good SS name that gets that "tube-like" nod from the afficiandos.
 
Which SS amps sound like Tubes? Well...

It depends on what qualities of a tube amp you are looking for. If its that warm sound (with respect to a slightly elevated mid range) we can voice a SS preamp or power amp to do that. If you want the low damping factor effects of a tube power amp, That is a different matter. Some speakers may sound noticably better with low damping factors, With most speakers however it's not an issue. If you want the 3-D effect of a single ended tube amp, We can do the same thing with a single ended SS preamp or power amp, But I think few do.

Also SS power amps maintain a very flat frequency response over a wide impedance, Not so with tube power amps, that's why the speakers impedance should be matched with the proper transformer tap. So many speakers will sound different with tube amps and SS, irregardless of how close everything else is. There may be exceptions. But generally these factors may help explain why tube amps are still in demand.

If the audio section of a source is tubed, or a tube/SS hybrid, they can produce the effects a tube preamp produces as well, depending on their design.
I am in effect running a tube/SS hybrid situation at the moment except in two boxes rather than one. I tried running a couple of Class A SS amps as well as the Quads (405, 502f and 606) and while they were all very good they kinda missed the point. It isn't fat mid-range I'm looking for, either. My tube set-up is balanced like a good SS would be in that sense. It really comes down to handling of the harmonics resulting from the mid-to-upper treble frequencies that is the kicker. That is where the MC-250 somehow manages to get where I want to be with my sources, pre and speakers. It is a subtle thing, but for my ears an important one.
 
Well the "source" sounds like a minuscule amount of voltage you'll never hear through your speakers. So I'll say "me" - I want it so that I can actually hear sound in the room.

I'd agree the OP wants to be looking at some quality Class A gear or perhaps Mac stuff. I've compared my 754 (SS) to my 275 (Tube)and although the 754 comes pretty close, it loses some smoothness and liquidity to the highs. They most definitely and absolutely do not sound the same.

jblnut

JBLnut come on you know damn well what I mean. The source as in what the amps see's prior to amplification. Anything differences from what the line source going into the amp to what comes out as output of the amp, is distortion, of one type or another.
 
That wasn't the point of the challenge. Bob claimed that he could tweak his amp to sound identical to any other (be it tube or solid state). That very claim suggests the premise that different amps do in fact sound inherently different.

Stereophile just happened to select a tube amp (Conrad-Johnson Premier Four), hoping the difference was vast enough to guarantee Bob's failure.

I know the story. My point was that sort of tests also 'proved' all SS amps sound the same. Which is fair enough.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2
 
JBLnut come on you know damn well what I mean. The source as in what the amps see's prior to amplification. Anything differences from what the line source going into the amp to what comes out as output of the amp, is distortion, of one type or another.

Ain't nothing wrong with certain distortion....

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2
 
So you're in the camp that all SS amps sound the same?

Really, must we?

Show me a full context post or article when someone, anyone, unconditionally says all SS amps sound the same. I wouldn't spend much time looking though because that only exists as a strawman.
 
Last edited:
Early David Hafler ss gear was well regarded back in the day. Given his immense expertise in tube amplifiers, designing and building t-formers for tubes, he should have been able to voice a decent SS amp.
I have a small D.Hafler 120w amp/D.H. pre that I bought new in the early 80's, and I still like it. I have them paired with some Bozak B302a's, and they play nicely together.

Plinius is another good SS name that gets that "tube-like" nod from the afficiandos.

I have a 200 its a smooth amp. But it can be too smooth and laid back for me at times the upper frequencies sound restrained, other times just right it sounds wonderful.
 
People always mention FET amps as closely related to tube amps soundwise.
One reason is their transfer curves are similar as observed by Nelson Pass.

MOSFETs and JFETs are like pentode tubes while VFETs or SITs are like triodes.

I would vote for Nelson's many children in the Pass Labs and First Watt families along with that of Ayre and others than don't rely on the use of high levels of NFB to achieve linearity. The use of transformer coupling that McIntosh uses for its SS amps does give it a characteristically smooth sound, but still has a traditional SS character to these ears (they love NFB). My favorite of their line is the 2301 which I heard in an exceptionally nice system.
 
Last edited:
Why unconditionally? Is there a such thing in audio (if not world)?

"All SS amps sound the same." is an unconditional statement.

I've never seen that said. It's always been some version that includes conditions unless someone is trying to set up a strawman.
 
Wasn't trying to be so precise. But you get the flow. Not trying to set up no strawman.

Plenty AKers would disagree with the statement even with the conditions.

C'mon you've been fighting with them for ages.
 
I've never seen that said.
I've read this here which isn't terribly far away.

"I have found many amps that do an effectively perfect job amplifying a signal above their noise floor and below their clipping limit. In my listening rooms I have used a Dynaco 410, a Crown Microtech, an Aragon 4004, a Krell KST-100 and various pro sound amps, essentially interchangeably."

Effectively *perfect* job? Sheesh!
 
Back
Top Bottom