• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What test equipment should I use? What are you using?

Where? Shoot me a link or business that is selling a functional unit for under $500, I would greatly appreciate it!
Here's an example:

Moderator note: removed eBay link to Panasonic VP-8132A AM/FM Stereo Synthesized Signal Generator as links to auction sites as per AK rules not allowed except in the Dollars & Sense forum.

Granted, they do say power tested only, but they do have it listed as "Used" condition and not "for parts/not working" so if you get it and it has issues you'll get a refund.. Another guy I know bought the VP-8131 recently for around the same price, in working condition on eBay. You might not find one right thing second, but if you setup some watch lists they pop up fairly regularly. I actually bought two Rohde and Schwarz SML-01 signal generators with the SML-B5 option for FM stereo from this seller earlier this year. They were good to work with. This unit is pretty beat up looking but they say it works. You can usually low ball these e-waste recycling companies, they get the stuff for free so they don't care. I'm not recommending anyone buy this specific unit, just giving the example you asked for ..

There are plenty of other FM Stereo capable signal generators more modern than the SG165, Panasonic(later known as Levear) had several models, Leader, Kenwood, Hameg, Kikusui, the Rohde and Shcwarz as long as it has the option, etc. You can get a basic RF Signal Generator($2-300) from a number of companies and pair it up with an HP 8904A (sn has to start with 2948 and needs option 001 - I got one on eBay earlier this year for around $200) to add the stereo function as well, but the all in one units are nice...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Where? Shoot me a link or business that is selling a functional unit for under $500, I would greatly appreciate it!
Here's another nice one. there was a whole bunch of these for sale earlier this year, from some Pioneer automotive radio factory that closed in Ohio or something like that. Nice that it has 75 ohm output option too, and is so small.

Moderator note: removed eBay link to Panasonic VP-8132A AM/FM Stereo Synthesized Signal Generator as links to auction sites as per AK rules not allowed except in the Dollars & Sense forum.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up a Leader 3216 a few years ago for $175. Amazing piece af equipment and they seem to fly under the radar on occasion. I think the Leader LSG-216 is basically the same thing. Mine was sold as 'powers up, no further testing' but worked perfectly. It won't sweep the IF frequencies like the SG-165 though.
 
Last edited:
Here's another nice one. there was a whole bunch of these for sale earlier this year, from some Pioneer automotive radio factory that closed in Ohio or something like that. Nice that it has 75 ohm output option too, and is so small.

Moderator note: removed eBay link to Panasonic VP-8132A AM/FM Stereo Synthesized Signal Generator as links to auction sites as per AK rules not allowed except in the Dollars & Sense forum.

I picked up one of these a little while back and it works great. If you put it in your watchlist and give them a couple days, they'll send you an offer at a small discount.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator note: removed comment about value of a unit as per AK rules this is only allowed in the Dollars & Sense forum.

The seller had at least 6 of them up on eBay at the time. I'm still a newb when it comes to tuner alignment, but so far, this Leader has been fairly easy to figure out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator note: removed eBay link to Panasonic VP-8132A AM/FM Stereo Synthesized Signal Generator as links to auction sites as per AK rules not allowed except in the Dollars & Sense forum.
i bought one of those earlier this year. maybe from the same company. excellent unit. easy to use. pretty much an all-in-one unit for fm stereo alignment (unless you need to do IF sweeps. or if it can do it, i have yet to figure out how)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you gentlemen for all of the knowledge! Well, I am going to start with the old SG unit and go from there. I can always upgrade to a nicer more accurate unit. I am really excited to dig into this area of vintage audio!
 
Anyone using a sencore sg165 as a simple signal tone generator to diagnose non tuner issues on a receiver? I notice there is a 400hz low frequency on the am side of the panel.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3421.jpeg
    IMG_3421.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 14
Anyone using a sencore sg165 as a simple signal tone generator to diagnose non tuner issues on a receiver? I notice there is a 400hz low frequency on the am side of the panel.

The 400Hz tone is generally applied as modulation to the carrier for AM and FM testing. If there's a jack for it, then yes, you could use it as an audio tone to test things with.
 
Yes there is a jack for it, just wondering if others are using it and if they liked its simplicity.
 
This the equipment I have put together so far for testing/aligning audio equipment:

Tektronix 2236 (100Mhz, frequency counter, DMM, timer)
Tektronix CFG250 Function Generator
Sound Technology 1000A (Can only do FM alignment)
Fluke 87V Multimeter
8ohm 100W dummy loads
Cheapo component tester

Been putting this stuff together the last couple of years. Just purchased the Sound Technology 1000A (haven't got it yet-in transit).

Paul
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Been thinking about upgrading my multimeter and see Amazon has Fluke 87V's at 21% off ($412.99). Seems like a pretty good deal but what do you guys think?

Edit: I know some people might throw out cheaper options but I have some ham radio tube transmitter stuff that needs some work so I feel like I have a use for a good safe 1000V meter. That's why Fluke is on my radar.
 
Last edited:
I have an 87V and I love it. Use it on solid-state and vacuum tube stuff. It was back to Fluke once when it was about a month old, and started throwing error codes. Fluke fixed it, for free, and shipped it back for free. They even did a full calibration and provided the cert..

It's just as accurate today when compared to my just calibrated Fluke 8808A.

Just get a good set of test leads for it, and you should be good for years to come.
 
Been thinking about upgrading my multimeter and see Amazon has Fluke 87V's at 21% off ($412.99). Seems like a pretty good deal but what do you guys think?

Edit: I know some people might throw out cheaper options but I have some ham radio tube transmitter stuff that needs some work so I feel like I have a use for a good safe 1000V meter. That's why Fluke is on my radar.
I have one. Can’t go wrong with a Fluke.
 
I pulled the trigger on the 87V. After googling a while, I didn't see any cheaper prices anywhere. The Fluke website has them on sale too for about $50 more. So it seems like a good price on a great meter. Amazon had next day delivery too so shouldn't have to wait too long to try it out.

My main meter has been a Craftsman that I got probably at least 10 years ago at Sears. I figured out it's a rebadged Extech. It still works ok but it's starting to show its age and I don't really trust it even up to its 600V rating.
 
My Fluke 77 and 23 (same 77 meter, just in yellow for industrial environments, ) have been my go-to meters for decades. The only issues, and these seem to be pretty common for these models when used in higher voltage/electrically noisy environments, are failures of the 1K fusible resistors, the spark gaps and the varistors. I guess a lifetime of eating spikes takes it's toll eventually :)
 
Very cool. I recently picked up a pair of HP 6920B Calibrators. Everyone needs a 1000V source on their bench, right? And 2 must be better than one, lol. Looking forward to rebuilding them in the spring when I get my right arm back after recovering from rotator cuff surgery. . . .
 

Attachments

  • Capture12.JPG
    Capture12.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Capture13.JPG
    Capture13.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 15
Very cool. I recently picked up a pair of HP 6920B Calibrators. Everyone needs a 1000V source on their bench, right? And 2 must be better than one, lol. Looking forward to rebuilding them in the spring when I get my right arm back after recovering from rotator cuff surgery. . . .
Yes!! I could really use a variac or something similar. I know there’s got to be one in the pile
 
Very cool. I recently picked up a pair of HP 6920B Calibrators. Everyone needs a 1000V source on their bench, right? And 2 must be better than one, lol. Looking forward to rebuilding them in the spring when I get my right arm back after recovering from rotator cuff surgery. . . .
I had the rotator cuff surgery earlier this year. It was totally worth it but still can tell when I overdo it. Definitely don't try to lift those things for a while.
 
Back
Top Bottom