• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What test equipment should I use? What are you using?

Gonna be frank, I'm more of a dabbler than a repair center, so to speak. But I'm interested in expanding the toolbox.

Presently have Kikusui 100MHz analog scope, Keithley 2015 THD, Agilent 33120A function generator, old B&K 3010 function generator, a couple variable power supplies, and assorted multimeters. Also have access to a Picoscope DSO setup.

Looking at the Peak Atlas testers and I think they're generally well regarded albeit not the same class as the HP/Agilent, et al., stuff shown throughout the thread.

Considering the LCR45 & DCA75 kit, then perhaps the ESR70 on top of that.

Thoughts?

I'd say go for them. I just recently (a few months back) bought that exact lineup for quick go/no-go testing and am quite happy with them. The ESR70 lives in the lead compartment in the case the other two came in. I too have a DE5000, but find the Peak testers much handier to use. They stay in their box and are easy to grab and use. The DE5000 or one of my HP bench LCR meters is used if I need more precision.

2024100414425333--434530668672601298-L.jpg


-Pat
 
For sure, my comment about low value caps was more related to the ESR70 which datasheet says >0.3uF. Maybe he doesn't even need an LCR meter and is good with just the ESR70.

No doubt the LCR45 is great, but the Der EE DE5000 is the same price, still small/portable (size of a Fluke 87) and also has kelvin connectors, wider testing ranges, frequencies (100hz, 120hz, 1khz 10khz and 100khz iirc), and a nicer display. I guess it uses the same ASIC as some of the much more expensive testers.

Peak's support is great though. I bought a Zen 50 that failed they sent another no questions asked. My only complaint with the DCA75 is the fact that I have to resolder the mini grabbers on all the time. the wire breaks there quite often. To the point where they sell a repair kit with new mini grabbers.
So far no test lead issues with any of my Peaks, just occasional battery replacement, so far.

The LCR45 has occasionally come in handy for me when encountering the small in physical size and of course in inductance value that are conformal coated visually looking like a resistor with their color bands inductor`s real identification.
 
Ended up ordering the DE-5000, ESR70, and DCA75.

Just thinking I probably screwed up though. Ordered the DE-5000 and four spring shackle u-bolts for the rear of my truck on the same order and they have same delivery date.

In hindsight, knowing Amazon, they will loose pack all that in one box. The shackle bolts will survive, but...
 
And I would add “full price name brand? Or lower cost off brand?”
Is there a full price name brand?

I see an adapter with BNC jacks and BNC Kelvin leads, or I see a lower cost adapter with hard-wired Kelvin leads.

For me, a banana jack Kelvin adapter would be about ideal because I already have some banana plug Kelvin leads.
 
I bought these and modified them for my DE-5000 and they are junk:

I've had to desolder the ends from the kelvin clips, cut the wire back and resolver them a few times now. The wire seems to break inside since it constantly flexes. Very annoying, and a pain to do. So, stay away from those specific cables at least.

I don't think you can do a banana jack kelvin adapter because you need those flat blade parts from the test fixture as well, to get kelvin into the DE-5000
 
I didn't re-read the whole thread but asking if folks with the DE-5000 pop for a Kelvin adapter/lead set?

I modified mine to take Kelvin leads. Honestly, I don't really see much of a difference, and I don't really think they were a need for my present work.
Although, the extra length is far more convenient.
 
Didn't take long to put the ESR70 to good use. Brother asked me to look at a dysfunctional air filter/"purifier" thingy.

Two of five caps bad, but no obvious leaking or bulging. There was nobody home at all on a 470uf, a 1000uf read 38uf. Both confirmed out of circuit. Gonna replace all five and going up to the next higher voltage (size ok) for good measure.
 
Picked up some museum pieces, although the capacitor/resistor comparator/leakage tester might come in handy as it goes to 500V, the larger power supply and metered Variac are OK too. It all works.

Snagged a couple vintage chicken head knobs to replace the missing ones on the capacitor tester

20241124_154754.jpg


And then the Leader LS 8106A that was in the mix too.

20241124_153332.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom