• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What TT's do you folks have

I have two:
1. Thorens TD 1601 w/ Ortofon 2M Black LVB250+ 2M Bronze
2. Audio Technica AT-LP140XP w/ Ortofon 2M Blue+Goldring E3+ AT VM95ML+ Ortofon OM Nightclub+Ortofon OM78.

Past TTs:
Sony PS-212 (1981-1983)
Microseiki DQX500(1983-2022)
Pioneer PL-600X(2015-2017)
Pioneer PL-630(2017-2021)
Kenwood KD-8030(2021-2022)
Micro seiki BL-71(2022)
SynQ XTRM-1 (2016-2021)
 
I'm using an Ortofon LH-9000 . The price at the regular retailers (Music Direct, etc) is kind of crazy ($250.00). I bought it off ebay for about $120.00 and would recommend the same purchasing route if you decide to buy one.


I never had the original, heavy headshell, so I wanted something heavy to match the weight of the original headshell. Here are the specs on the Ortofon:

Magnesium with carbon fiber build
Weight: 16.8 grams
Mounting distance: 38 mm-46 mm
High purity copper headshell leads (LW-7N) included

According to the interwebz, the original headshell was around 25grams! So I also added Sound-smith steel screws that weight 3.17grams. That gets me to about 20grams I think it sounds great. There are other headshell weights you could buy to get even more weight on it, but I'm happy with it where it is now.

Other folks may be able to recommend other headshells, but my limited understanding is that later Pioneer headshells were not as heavy, so you can't grab one from a later model. But I'm no Pioneer historian, so there may be something else out there that's cheaper that will work.


It all seems to work well together, but if you have the original Pioneer PL-41 headshell, I'd just use that.

Specs from Sound-smith

New! EZ-Mount Cartrdge Mounting screws

» EZ-Mount M2.5 thread screws from Soundsmith

» NO TOOLS needed to mount and secure a cartridge

» EZ-Tweaking

» Now it only takes TWO HANDS to install a phono cartridge!

» Lowers the risk of dropped cartridges & snapped cantilevers

Kit comes with: [weight in grams (x2 screws)]

» 2 Nylon screws [0.52g (1.04g)]

» 2 Aluminum screws [1.03g (2.06g)]

» 2 Stainless screws [3.15g (6.30g)]

» 2 Brass screws [3.07g (6.14g)]

» all 8 thumb screws are 10mm length with two non-magnetic SS nuts, and four captive thread-on nylon washers

» 10mm thumb screws are easily shortened: install provided nut, cut to length, file flat & remove nut repairs damaged threads!

EDIT : Attached pic of headshell and Zu-bodied Denon 103


View attachment 3483518
Do the nuts add a lot of weight to the setup or is there a reason for them.
 
Carved out a spot for the Technics SL-QL15:

fr_5473crop.jpg

It's companion ART Precision Phono Pre is there with it. There's also some blue LED lighting in there, but turning it on just washes everything out on the iphone camera.

The cartridge is an AT132 with a VMN40 ML (micro linear) stylus.

The Technics is starting to become a favorite with that particular cart and stylus....
 
Last edited:
listening to other artists than Rush? I love Rush too but listen to other music as well :)
My main “diet” certainly is RUSH, but of course I listen to others as well.

Gordon Lightfoot is playing right now, although on CD, not vinyl. It’s a greatest hits CD. 20 of his best. All of it is pure Canadian folk music gold. Edmund Fitzgerald still gives me shivers…

In the early mornin rain….out on runway #9, big ol 707 is set to go….hear the mighty engine roar, see the silver bird on high….where the morning rain don’t fall and the sun always shines….this ol airports got me down, its no earthly good to me….cause I’m stuck here on the ground, as cold and drunk as I can be….you can’t jump a jet plane, like you can a freight train….so I best be on my way, in the early mornin rain….

Pure gold. RIP.
 
Last edited:
I have turntables in three systems:

1 - VPI TNT V, SME V, Koetsu Urushi, Vendetta SCP2-D

2 - Sota Cosmos, SME V, Lyra Clavis, Conrad Johnson Premier 15 phono

3 - Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica LX , Classe DR-7 onboard phono stage
 
Running my basic two turntables.

AR XA with rewired Tonearm using a Shure M95ED cartridge

Dual 1209 using a Shure M44G

Both sound amazing
 
I fix them for fun.
My preference is Duals with 4-point gimbal tonearms, but i have a few others.
No manual tables.

Running:
Dual 1229
Dual 510
Dual 1264
Dual 1218
Dual 1249
Another Dual 1249
Pioneer PL-220

On the bench or on deck for the bench
Dual 1218
Dual 522
Dual 1249
Another Dual 1249
Pioneer PL-117D
Fisher MT-6335
 
These are the tables I have right now:

Dual 1009SK
Technics SL-1200 (Original one)
Denon DP-1200
Thorens TD 160
Pioneer PL-12D
JVC QL-A7
 
Two Turntables.jpeg

After watching this thread, commented in 2017, our moves complete, and rooms are setup. Here's a pic of my two TTs. The one on the left is from 1967.
Braun P600 Dieter Rams take on an Elac turntable. Hydraulic suspension, Electronic speed control, excellent tonearm, with Denon 103 cart. It is belt driven rim drive, and supports automatic play once in awhile. Supports playing my classic 78 & 45 records. The AR 'The Turntable' on the right, has been completely refurbished; new springs, feet, polymer tonearm board, onthe-fly VTA adjuster, Jelco TC750D tonearm with ISOkinetik Counterweight, Benz Ace L cart retipped with ruby cantilever and diamond tip. Both TTs are on isolation supports, and footfalls are not an issue. A Cambridge 651P phono preamp supports the Braun, while an SPL Phonos handles the AR. Cables are Kimber. Hope you find this an interesting pairing. It's a great sounding pair and meets the end game needs for my system.
 
This has turned into an obsession.

Kenwood KD500
Yamaha YP801
Sony PS2510
Sony PS2510
Denon DP3000
Pioneer PL61
Victor TT71
Sansui SR717
Teac TN400 Magnafloat
Denon DP80
Aurex SR410

All bought without plinth or arm except the Yamaha
Photos to follow soon
 
Back
Top Bottom