• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What TT's do you folks have

At the moment;

Sony TTS8000 (custom "marble" plinth),Dynavector DV 505
Garrard 401 (custom plinth-baltic birch)),Fidelity Research FR64S
Thorens TD 124 Mk II (custom plinth-baltic birch), SAEC WE 407/23
& on "the shelf":
Thorens TD 124 (Mk I ) custom color Ferrari red,Ortofon plinth,SME 3012/II unimpr.

The Garrard and the Thorens turntables are serviced and upgraded with new parts from various manufacturers around the world (audio silente, classic hifi shop,Hanze hifi,schopper,riverside audio,konne design & some more)


PA180008.JPG
 
Last edited:
Greetings fellow spinners. I'm a mostly Sansui guy, but I have a few others in the lineup as well.

Sansui:
XP-99 x3. I love these tables. I've managed to acquire three nice examples and they're among my favorites. Very reliable full autos in my experience.
SR-717. Also a favorite. This one's paired with a very tone-y 1969 AU-777 and loves to play the blues.
SR-838. The sexiest problem child. I bought a lemon with some really poor prior work and bad speed issues. All sorted now and we're finally growing on each other.
SR-4050C. A beast with a convenient auto lift/stop feature.
SR-2050C. A little beast with a convenient auto lift/stop feature.

Others:
Sony PS-X5. This one's in a modest system at my girlfriend's house so I have something to do when she's lights out.
Realistic LAB 500. Picked this one up for junk at the electronics recycling store. Replaced the cut RCAs, cleaned it up and it works perfectly. The platter mat smelled like a barn.
DUAL 1219. Also from the electronics recycling store. Clean table. Nothing worked. Converted to manual. Saved the auto parts in a baggie. Haven't used it.
Scott PS-36. Another from the electronics recycling store. Original box. New belt and a thorough cleaning. Works perfectly.

I feel like I'm forgetting one, but I think that's it. Here's a picture of the problem child finally restored to speed stability.

838AIC555A.jpg

A recently acquired XP-99 with a cheap Amazon cart and an incorrect aftermarket head shell. All the aftermarket head shells I've seen are incorrect. They're 9mm too short and have the wrong horizontal profile. If anyone comes across a legit OEM XP-99 head shell, I'm all ears. How hard could it be to 3D print? I know nothing about 3D printing.


XP-99 x2.jpg

The 4050C.

4050C.jpg

The Realistic LAB 500.

Realistic LAB 500.jpg

Lastly, my og XP-99 with a NOS original spec AT-3100S mc cart and the SR-717 pulling display duty.

OG XP-99 & SR-717.jpg
 
With the exception of a Pioneer I started out with in the 1970s, I tend to stay away from Japanese turntables.

I've owned Lin LP12, Oracle Delphi etc. but have now settled in with a VPI TNT V in my main system with SME V arm and Koetsu Urushi cartridge, a Roksan Radius 5/Nima/Goldring Eroica set up in a subsidiary system and a Sota Cosmos/SME V/Lyra Clavis in the third system
 
I've had several TT decks come and in the last 40 years. I still have my late Dad's 1978 Pioneer PL-518X (Black ) Pickering XUV/D4500Q MM Shibata cart.

My 1999 Technics SL1200 MK II with KAB mods Ortfron MM 2M Black Shibata, my favorite. Daily KAB/Ortfron 40 Anniversary Concord 2M Blue generator with Fritz Gyger stylus OM40 . KAB had Ortfron make this F.G. before Ortfron came out with Concord Music Black Shibata and now LVB 250 2M Black Shibata with Boron cantilever. My next Concord stylus I'll try the LVB Black Shibata.No protractor needed with Concord Music it's designed for the SL xxxx S arm.
 
My setup has two turntables right now: a Rek-O-Kut Rondine, and a Thorens TD-124 mk1. In the basement there's a box of Garrard 401 parts, but they will probably wait until next winter to see their time in the sun. Meanwhile the Thorens gets all the fun. (This picture is not real)
Gemini_Generated_Image_fi6eenfi6eenfi6e.png
 
Added a second Dual 1019 to the pile of gear. Picked it up on Friday.
IMG_3947.JPG
IMG_3952.JPG
IMG_3953.JPG
Last two pics were taken at nighttime. Turntable is currently on a counter in our laundry room. The stacking spindle was acquired when I picked up the other 1019. Seller didn't want it for spare parts, so I have both types. I prefer the single spindle for the 1019 I have upstairs, but know that my family might prefer using the stacker.

IMG_3957.JPG
The one I've had for a while. I still need to get the correct dust cover for the plinth. Actually will need to get two, since the 1019 with the united audio style plinth is getting a CK 6 plinth in a few days.
 
Last edited:
Absolutely stunning TTs and gear. Congrats! I see that Leben MM preamp I've lusted over...

So I have dumb question. I see gear arrangements like yours pretty often and isn't it awkward to use the TTs with the amps directly on the floor in front of them? I'd be afraid I might kick one of those really nice tubes or drop the cleaning brush on something important and expensive.
 
Absolutely stunning TTs and gear. Congrats! I see that Leben MM preamp I've lusted over...

So I have dumb question. I see gear arrangements like yours pretty often and isn't it awkward to use the TTs with the amps directly on the floor in front of them? I'd be afraid I might kick one of those really nice tubes or drop the cleaning brush on something important and expensive.
It needs the learning of the art of tip toeing!:D

PS The Leben preamp is the first edition RS28C with the special broadcast-graded Siemens E288CC long-life tubes in the line stage.
 
Back
Top Bottom