• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

What vintage speakers are you using with your Marantz receiver?

Nice cabinet. Congrats. And better than what Marantz offered then. I had one of their walnut cabinets from that period for an integrated amp. It wasn’t even a cabinet but two sides and a thin top.
 
With my Marantz...

mVKhJb-marantzBG2250B2015.jpg


a4ofOb-P1150468.jpg


... I have very few Vintage speaker to use with - a pair of BrAun L500-1 from 1971-72 coming from my parents, that I restored. The grille was unpresentable and full of dust. I was prepared to an autopsy but nenni : speakers were intact !

GZWCMb-etat-restaure-grille-noire.jpg


HZWCMb-grille-noire-deposee-magnetique.jpg


HZWCMb-recup-logo-original.jpg


Original specs and look :

dKh4Mb-Braun-L500-1-specs-original.jpg


These are smooth sounding speakers, crisp and never agressive, very pleasant with vintage solid-state like the Marantz...

T
 
Hey triplegee77, you and I are in the same age bracket and I also wanted a mostly 70's era system. I inherited the receiver from my father, I picked up the turntable about 2 years ago and managed to find the speakers earlier this year... they replaced a set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I bought new in '23. My LP collection is mostly from the 70's & 80's and very small, but I do have a decent collection of CDs so that changer gets used daily. Best of luck acquiring the gear you want.

My 2238B is wired to a pair of JBL 4311Bs that sound better than ever now that I've added a subwoofer.

IMG_1809.a.JPG

Marantz 2238B receiver (1977)
Technics SL-1500 turntable (1975-76)
JBL 4311B control monitors (1979)
Technics SL-PD807 CD changer (1992)
Goldwood PSW-10 subwoofer (2024)
 
Last edited:
Hey triplegee77, you and I are in the same age bracket and I also wanted a mostly 70's era system. I inherited the receiver from my father, I picked up the turntable about 2 years ago and managed to find the speakers earlier this year... they replaced a set of Klipsch bookshelf speakers that I bought new in '23. My LP collection is mostly from the 70's & 80's and very small, but I do have a decent collection of CDs so that changer gets used daily. Best of luck acquiring the gear you want.

My 2238B is wired to a pair of JBL 4311Bs that sound better than ever now that I've added a subwoofer.

View attachment 3179080

Marantz 2238B receiver (1977)
Technics SL-1500 turntable (1975-76)
JBL 4311B control monitors (1979)
Technics SL-PD807 CD changer (1992)
Goldwood PSW-10 subwoofer (2024)
Good deal! Yes, I couldn't afford the Marantz, Pioneer, etc in my teens. Had to settle for Radio Shack! But I did amass almost 400 LP's. Then while in the Navy in '84, I used my reenlistment bonus to buy a Yamaha separates system - M-80, C-80, T-80, Denon TT and Teac cassette with AR9LSi speakers. All of which were subsequently stolen in 2004. I decided this year I was going to get the gear I wanted in the 70's, so here I am! I see your 2238B and I love mine! Just had a custom cabinet made by a buddy - solid walnut. I'm really leaning towards the JBL's. Just waiting to for the right ones to come along. You have a really nice setup there - enjoy!


IMG_0548_resized.jpg
 
A few months back I picked up a set of refurbished Ohm Model L's. I cannot believe how well they pair with my 2285B and they sound just as good as any modern speaker I've had on that receiver...and I've had some somewhat expensive ones paired with it. The synergy is incredible. I've had more favorable comments with that speaker than any I've had on that receiver.

I typically used to rotate speakers every few months but I don't think that's going to happen with the Ohm's.
 
Marantz Imperial 5-Gs being powered by a Marantz 2240. Terrific pairing that gets a lot of things right.

2215b powering a pair of Klipsch KG-2.5s with Crites Ti tweeter diaphragms and a powered Klipsch subwoofer. The sub helps a ton as the low powered Marantz isn't using all of its headroom to reproduce low frequencies.

I also have a 2275 paired with a pair of restored Cerwin-Vega VS-120s. A better setup for rock and roll I have not come across.
I'm using KG2.5's with my 2238B, but it just seems like something's missing. They are stock so maybe a mod?
 
I'm using KG2.5's with my 2238B, but it just seems like something's missing. They are stock so maybe a mod?

Replacing the tweeter diaphragms with Crites Ti definitely improved mine but I think the biggest factor in my system is the powered sub.

Since my Marantz is pretty low powered to begin with, I figured that adding the sub to handle the low end would free up the Marantz' power amp to shine with the mids and highs.

Doing it this way gives me plenty of volume, even frequency response and a really beautiful stereo image.

Maybe adding a subwoofer to your 2238B would give you a similar result. Just be sure to take the time to place the sub correctly in your room and set the crossover to where it seamlessly transitions to the KG-2.5S. Setting up a sub right or wrong can make or break the whole listening experience, IME.
 
Another with the HD 770's. Also Marantz M 10's. Best speakers I own. 2285b, restored by our own Salbreth 1.
Hey just saw your post. Good news Sal is back restoring audio! Wow M-10’s are the only Marantz speaker I have never heard. I would buy a pair if I could find them. Did you happen to buy those in Mass couple of years ago?
I own the M-16, Models 200,400, 600, and 2 sets of the DS 940. All under rated on this site.
 
Hey just saw your post. Good news Sal is back restoring audio! Wow M-10’s are the only Marantz speaker I have never heard. I would buy a pair if I could find them. Did you happen to buy those in Mass couple of years ago?
I own the M-16, Models 200,400, 600, and 2 sets of the DS 940. All under rated on this site.
Hi dgunnr! I just saw your post also. I bought them from a nice gent in Glastonbury Ct. about 4 yrs ago. I'm sure they sound very similar to your M-16's minus the super-tweeter. Yes they are phenomenal speakers IMO. I really feel no need to seek out better. They have a bit more clarity than my HD 770's but the 770's are smooth as can be. I'd have a hard time picking one over the other. I know I was very fortunate to find them. A unicorn for sure like your M-16's.

Also very lucky to find Sal to restore my receivers. Besides the 2285b, he restored my Pioneer sx 1250 and my SX 1010. His work is top notch!
 
Hi dgunnr! I just saw your post also. I bought them from a nice gent in Glastonbury Ct. about 4 yrs ago. I'm sure they sound very similar to your M-16's minus the super-tweeter. Yes they are phenomenal speakers IMO. I really feel no need to seek out better. They have a bit more clarity than my HD 770's but the 770's are smooth as can be. I'd have a hard time picking one over the other. I know I was very fortunate to find them. A unicorn for sure like your M-16's.

Also very lucky to find Sal to restore my receivers. Besides the 2285b, he restored my Pioneer sx 1250 and my SX 1010. His work is top notch!
The Model 400's i bought from a guy in Mass. while traveling from NJ to Sals in Vermont. He said he also had a pair of M-10's that he sold months earlier.. Showed up with a convertible and was an artsy/eccentric type guy (meant in a good way!). Said he bought a house and the seller gave him the speakers. Thought you may have bought the speakers from him since they are so rare. Agree that any Model and M speaker is going to sound a bit better than DS/HD line since they are a generation newer by Ed May. I think my Model 600 is the best sounding speaker that I have, even better than the M-16.

Sal is working on my 2330B now and i have a bunch of other pieces of mine, and a couple to sell, so very happy he is back in the game again. Having a first rate tech is everything with this hobby!
 
Marantz 2330 (non "B" Euro version) receiver coupled with Bose 901 series VI speakers. I know a lot of folks don't care too much for Bose but when these speakers are properly setup, they are music to my old ears.
 
Back
Top Bottom